Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1927 special strike nickel.

1927 special strike nickel only 5 known I'm posting a picture of one of them and are 1927 regular strike nickel.

Comments

• Options

It's not easy to see the micro-cracking on this coin without and I peace but you can see the die mark at the 8 position on the back of the coin just below the buffalos head the reason that Mark is there is because all five of the 1927 special strike nickels were struck with different dyes all five of them has that dime mark. Regular 1927 nickels do not have it none of them. Tell me what you think of course you will have to look up the 1927 special strike nickel and get a description of the coin so you can compare this coin.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

I'm at a loss for words.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson said:
    I'm at a loss for words.

That's okay, as long as you don't spit your drink on the computer.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that speeshul :/

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

OP must be trolling with this thread and the 1964 SMS thread.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 8:58PM

Iz grean been, whut iz cack?

Cannt reemoof from holder now got greem beam.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 omg the staples at the top. I can't stop laughing. Best post ever

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 6:33AM

I was one of the buyers of these when they showed up (raw) in the Harmer-Rooke auction about 30 years ago. This specific piece is not recalled, but would have stood out as "speeshul" even then. :#

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is 'speeshul' about these Buffs?? I have a lot of buffs and really like them... have not heard of this special strike before.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Check HA archives. The lot description will tell you all you need :D

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the point of this post?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even know what's going on. LOL!!!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint was experimenting with chromium plated dies and a few nickels were struck in 1927 for test purposes. The OP will find a summary in From Mint to Mint.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

my chinese friend say he see's noting wong wit dat coin. we shall see

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I had an obverse pic in my files, but I can't locate it.

This is the reverse of the 1927-P Special.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one else has asked, so it must be only me who is behind the curve here...

1) why is the label strategically covered so we can't see the attribution (or lack thereof)? Could you
    please lose the normal nickel and show us the full "special" nickel?

2) what the heck does this mean: "all five of the 1927 special strike nickels were struck with different dyes all five of them has that dime mark. "

The five nickels were struck with different "dyes" (were they printed?) and they all have the same ("dime") mark? Did the hub have this mark on it? I would not expect five nickels struck from different dyes or dies to have the same mark.

I am usually a bit sharper on Saturdays since I can sleep later, but today I can't seem to catch a clue, assuming there is a clue to be caught, and I am not so sure on that....

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there 5 known, or 3? Be pretty excited if I found one of these seeing as they go 40-50k.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-buffalo-nickels/1927-special-strike-5c-sp65-pcgs/a/1124-2168.s

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's pics of the obv and rev. Last I heard the number known was three. Note the complete full strike. Normal 1927 dated coins never come like this-at least, I've never seen one. Images courtesy of Heritage.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see StrikeOutXXX posted 'em first.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2017 3:54PM

@RogerB said:
    The Mint was experimenting with chromium plated dies and a few nickels were struck in 1927 for test purposes. The OP will find a summary in From Mint to Mint.

There are two markers on the hub for the reverse dies used on all T II 5c proofs 1913-1916. One is a triangular backwards-facing die chip coming out of the back of the top of the "D". The other is a arrow-straight incuse line on the inside border of the rim about 7:30-8:15 which @CaptHenway cannot explain either :o

The same reverse hub was never used again by the Phjiladelphia Mint except in the production of the '27-P special finish coins.

I have also seen (in-hand) this reverse die used on a 1917 proof. @MrEureka has seen two. Probative research on Moby Buff.. nil :s .

A link to an HA Archive lot where their micro-focus feature can be used is much needed if it's to be seen clearly.

5 known from Harmer-Rooke and no others appearing since.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2017 4:42PM

Thx to all for posting the photos. So.....
    1) these things do exist
    2) is the OP's coin one of these? (Doesn't look like it to me but what do I know(.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2017 4:09PM

.> @JBK said:

Thx to all for posting the photos. So.....
    1) these things do exist
    2) is the OP's coin one if these? (Doesn't look like it to me but what do I know

The OP is still very new at posting, but obviously developed his "speeshul" trolling moves before he got here >:)B)

• Options

Thanks for the nicknames and the show of respect. Did it really surprise you that there are 1927 special strike nickels there's also 1964 special strike pennies that's very valuable and don't many people know about them not even professionals coin collections and dealer and none of them know about or I should say very few. My name is Walter and I just wanted to introduce you to the 1927 special strike nickel and the 1964 special strike penny both of which or extremely rare I wish you peace and love.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Togothree said:
    My name is Walter and I just wanted to introduce you to the 1927 special strike nickel and the 1964 special strike penny both of which or extremely rare I wish you peace and love.

Both have been discussed on these boards before.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

1927 nickels have been known of years. 1964 special strike "pennies" are bologna.

• Options

I own one of these that I bought from Larry Whitlow.

Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm speechless. Just amazing

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

Why to the OP post a Full picture of PcGS Label?

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is troll bait

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 3:29AM

@giantsfan20 said:
    Why to the OP post a Full picture of PcGS Label?

I can only assume that PCGS got it "wrong", too, and failed to recognize how "special" this coin is.

That holder is also pretty beat up for a rarer than rare coin, another warning flag for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file