Home U.S. Coin Forum

Congratulations to the Houston Astros!

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2, 2017 4:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It’s off topic, but the Astro fans deserve a thumbs up.

Houston came into the National League in 1962 along with the New York Mets. They were almost as bad as the Mets without the charisma. Over the next 54 years there were a lot of bad teams along the way.

I can relate to that as Phillies and Red Sox fan. The Phillies won their first World Series in 1980 after the team started in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1880. They moved to Philadelphia in 1883. The Red Sox, of course, had “the curse of the Bambino.”

I started rooting for the Astros after they knocked off the Red Sox in the first round, which was no surprise. Waiting 55 years for a World Series win is long enough!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huston Astros!

??

Frank

BHNC #203

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the Astros.

Actually they were the Colt .45's from 1962 thru 1964. (love that name)
    Became the Astros when they moved into the revolutionary Astrodome.

Now domed stadiums are plentiful, especially in northern climes.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now domed stadiums are plentiful, especially in northern climes.

You need one in Tampa too. If the Rays had an open air stadium, they would be playing until Christmas because of rain outs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something in me likes that the highest paid team in baseball lost to a team with an overall salary that’s about 1/2 as much.

The Astros knocked out my team in the first round of the playoffs so kudos to them for seeing it through.

Boring game 7 though.....

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 5:58AM

Not a 'Stros fan, but good for SE Tejas, puts some pride back in the region. The city was pretty down after Harvey, now with finally a decent QB, Watt raising $36 million, and now the WS, everyone seems to be a bit more upbeat round here, so this is a good thing. Sports are huge around here, the town lives by them, so winning for the first time since l995, really matters again especially after the mess we were after Harvey.

What was impressive is how they built this team. 4-6 years ago they said they would do it strictly through the draft and wait to spend money in free agency when it matters. So the team tanked for several years, their admin got alot of heat for taking this route. But they stuck to it, and it paid off. If only my Giants would go that route, but they keep paying for overpriced old pitchers to try to regain what they had a few years back during their championship run.

On another note, it is a very good thing to beat the Dodgers any time, any where, for all reasons. Being a Giants fan, well..........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of baseball... or any ball sport.... but it is nice to see a team win the series for the first time...especially when they have been around so long without a win...So, Congratulations Houston (also a great city, lived there for several years). Cheers, RickO

• I'm a Mets fan but I was rooting for the Astros.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad for Nolan Ryan too.

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

50 year astros fan.I figured they would win one sooner or later,but not in my lifetime.I still cant believe its true.WAY TO
    GO STROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the Houston Astros!!!

Working second shift I missed most of the games, but game 5 Sunday night was one of the most exciting games I've seen in a while.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 8:46AM

Good for you, Astros! When the Dodgers left Brooklyn after the 1957 season, then in 1959 beat my White Sox, they became like the "dark side" to me.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was rooting for the Astros. Great series!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting 55 years for a World Series win is long enough!

waiting 69 years is no picnic, either. in fact, it's more than my lifetime.

hat's off to the Houston Astros, being the first Team in franchise history to accomplish this is historic.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Parade route posted, alas I have an appointment at 2 pm so can't make it. Never been to one of these, the last time I was near a championship town was in 1977 - PDX - Bill Walton and Co., too young to drive to the parade. Maybe next time?

https://twitter.com/search?q=astros+parade+route&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

It was a long long wait with decades of frustration. I was in first grade when I got a Colt 45 shirt and waited year after year for a season where the Stros won over half of the games in a season. I used to be driving home after a long day of construction work and stop when the team was playing an evening game go pay $2.00 for a outfield seat. I often had the most of the right side to myself but it was either sitting in a truck without air conditioning or sitting in the dome with a large Dr. Pepper. I'll pay $3.00 to set inside and drink a soda even if the outcome was certain by the third inning. When the Stros traded Nolan Ryan to the rangers I was sure we had a Boston curse hung around our neck.

Of all the games the fifth one was the best one ever as I doubt there will ever be a 25 run game with the home team winning 13-12 in a world series.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell of a World Series for sure! With all the press about juiced balls after game 5...both the underdog and under 7.5 runs paid in Game 7, Astros Win on the road with the House ;)

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldgoldlover said:
    It was a long long wait with decades of frustration. I was in first grade when I got a Colt 45 shirt and waited year after year for a season where the Stros won over half of the games in a season. I used to be driving home after a long day of construction work and stop when the team was playing an evening game go pay $2.00 for a outfield seat. I often had the most of the right side to myself but it was either sitting in a truck without air conditioning or sitting in the dome with a large Dr. Pepper. I'll pay $3.00 to set inside and drink a soda even if the outcome was certain by the third inning. When the Stros traded Nolan Ryan to the rangers I was sure we had a Boston curse hung around our neck.

Of all the games the fifth one was the best one ever as I doubt there will ever be a 25 run game with the home team winning 13-12 in a world series.

Will you be able to melt those Choke Medals down and recoup some of your loss?

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur! But the Cleveland Indians are more than due-69 years.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked to see them win, being a White Sox fan, i know about droughts.

I kind of liked seeing those retro rainbow Astros colors again.

.......and the Dodgers will increase payroll again this off season

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

The Scrubs (Cubs) should have NEVER beat them last year!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@koynekwest said:

Pete

Spoken like a true Sox fan

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the most exciting World Series on record!
    Game 5, what a legendary event.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@koynekwest said:

Pete

It bothered me but at least it went to a team that had a longer drought than the Tribe. Now they are #1.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Astros suck.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

J/K, LOL..... I just wanted to get you all charged up.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

An odd note:

The Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable channel showed the 1943 Red Skelton film "Whistling In Brooklyn" today.

At one point Red mentions that a man tried to kill himself "because the Dodgers blew last night's game".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great series. Been a Dodger fan since I can remember, so congrats, even though the wrong team won. ;-)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was routing for the astros as well. well deserved

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the better World Series. Kudos to the Stros.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file