Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Giveaway #2 & and #3. Winners announced Plus future changes!

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 8, 2017 1:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to many of you, I got my Badge #5. :) Before this contest closes, I may get another Badge#5. :) So, there will be two drawings!

As I promised, this is a new giveaway! I have several items being slabbed and I will post the prize when they get back. This giveaway will end at midnight on Tuesday, November 7th. Winner will be announced by Thursday at the latest and prize will be shipped a few days later.

All of you that entered the first giveaway will have your original chances to win (from the first drawing still in the "pot.") The winners of the first contest can enter again. One of them (from AK) has no entries yet - his was picked. The other winner, (Bill) still has one entry from the first contest because he had two chances in the pot at the drawing. Only one was picked.

Any one posting in this thread will have at least one (1 entry) chance to win.

NOTE: Anyone who posts on this thread and writes a "tip" they use to either grade a coin in a specific series or authenticate coins of any type or era WILL GET AN ADDITIONAL ENTRY (2)

Examples of 1 entry posts:

Sign me up you good looking fellow.
I'm in, thanks!

Examples of 2 entry post:

Sign me up. Many "D" mint Buffalo nickels are weakly struck.
I'm in, A full band dime cannot have any cuts across the lines and they must be separated along their full length.

Rules:

1. Any CU member can enter by posting on this thread. Each poster will get one entry = chance to win. Those leaving a "tip" will get two.

2. Entries will be placed on strips of paper and placed into large container. Someone in the office will pick the two winners. If by some miracle the same person is picked for the second prize, we will draw again.

3.This contest will close on Tuesday, November 7th. The winner will be announced in this thread before Friday.

1. I will also notify the winner in a PM. The coin will be shipped the next week by Registered Mail after the winner PM's me with the address.

2. I pay postage.

3. The prizes are in slabs. Winner #1 will get to pick from one of three choices. Winner #2 will pick from the remaining two. The slab will not be from our host - they are keepers :)

4. Prize choices: Decent looking 1922 Counterfeit Peace dollar. Union Pacific ALCOA token. AU 1923-D genuine Peace dollar with detached lamination.

Good Luck...You need to post in this thread to enter. :)

PLEASE KEEP THOSE GREAT "TIPS" COMING

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in, thanks!

Sincerely, thanks :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in- thanks!
    If the coin doesn't EXACTLY match the description or known image of the variety you think it has, it isn't the variety.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tip
    On spotting counterfeits :smile:

This is a very important test which can be performed using only your eyes. Simply,** know your series** whether it is Pine Trees or ASE's. Counterfeiters, especially Chinese, are usually careless and make many mistakes.
    Study authentic coins and keep the images in your head, then study the subject coin making comparisons with the authentic images.
    It is amazing how many glaring mistakes are made.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank You & sign me up...

Morgan buying tip for eBay users: Turn the brightness all the way up to the max on your smartphone while browsing eBay, and IMO it's a lot easier to find gems with scanned pictures vs. real pictures...I don't know why that is...but it is ;)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign me up! Many people think their 1908 $2 1/2 Indian has wear, when in fact every 1908 has very poor details on the eagle side.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I want in!

Here are a few pieces of advice:
    -Attend ANA Summer Seminar Grading
    -Be familiar with the series you are collecting
    Or, more specifically:
    -Steel cents often have high numerical grades but are butt ugly. Look for examples with nice luster.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 2:00PM

Sign me up!

1909 Barber half's in mid grade need to be graded by the reverse as a change in the obverse die caused liberty to be well protected that year!

• Options
    TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

I'll give it a go. A bit of completely novel information never before seen on the boards - be very wary of raw Trade Dollars. Counterfeits abound, check the details of the head and know your hub combos.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 2:07PM

I'm in. don't take any wooden nickels.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign me up too and as it looks like you aren't Mr. Popularity around here I may at some point send you a copy of the classic "How to Win Friends and Influence People"; I recently read the counter classic that some people here apparently mimic, "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People".

Tip: Never do a no-reserve ebay auction unless you have active shillers or a large reserve!

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the chance Insider2- put me in!

Here's a short video on how to conduct a specific gravity test to gauge whether, or, not your coin/round has the correct composition.

Also, here is a list of specific gravity ratios for various metals- along with coin silver.
    http://www.hauserandmiller.com/reference/melting.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN3tlmQSUuI

Still waiting for my scale to arrive in the mail so I can try this on a few coins... :#

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

sign me up or else I will take back all the "disagree" :p

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tip: Buy what YOU like, otherwise what's the point?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign me up - lightning could strike twice.

Grading incuse gold is a fools errand.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in. Thanks.

One thing I look for to make sure a Mercury Dime is Mint State is the Axe Edge on the reverse. It seems to show wear more quickly than the Bands IMO. Also a good sharp edge usually goes hand in hand with a nicely struck dime.

Ken

• Options

The tips are great! Please keep them coming. :)

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

I am in thank you

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the contest, always fun.
    By becoming familiar with the strike characteristics of Buffalo Nickels within the various Mints allows one to find commonly lightly struck coins thought by most to be worn when in reality has the lustre of the higher grade coins without wear.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign me up. For bust coinage, first thing to do is examine the surfaces for the level of past cleaning(s). Luster and hairlines (or not) tell the story.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in -- maybe Iuck will be on my side this time!

Tip: IMO, Rulau's 4th Edition Standard Catalog of United States Tokens is probably the most comprehensive resource for identifying and authenticating most US tokens.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

O Mint Morgans are often weakly struck around the ear and this typically will limit the grade to 64 and under for MS coins. If you find one with a good strike buy it if the price is right.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    SteveBellSteveBell Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Sign me up!

When looking to authenticate a 1909 S-VDB, make sure the "S" mint mark is appropriate.It should look like it's in a tiny box with the serifs in the correct position.There are 4 die types meaning 4 locations below the date for the mark.The initials on the back also need to be off center and the cross bar on the "B" should have a slight slant.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, why not.

On Morgan Dollars I find it's pretty easy to reject borderline cleaning from unacceptable cleaning by doing this:

hold the coin about 5 inches below eye level and about 12 inches away from your face. An unacceptably cleaned coin looks it's worst at this angle IMO.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

I'm in.My tip is to buy expensive classic coins and gold coins from a trusted dealer or a well known trader on the cu boards.

• Options
    baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I'm in, thanks!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in like Flynn! Speaking of Wooden Nickels, they are more valuable when laser engraved or actually pressed, and the type of wood used is important too, hardwood is better than balsam, and redwood is better than that....sort of like real coins of silver or gold, platinum or palladium! You can buy 1000 wooden nickels for around 200.00 and right now Ebay has one for sale for 12.99 ......but we all agree, Don't take any!!!!!!!

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 4:49AM

I’m in Thank you

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'm in thank you. My tip is there's often great advice on the CU forum!

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

I'm in, thanks!

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign me up.
    Be careful grading proofs from images. Hairlines can be tough to see. It's an important factor in higher grades.

Larry

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure I'm in, thanks.

The only advice I can give is to look at the coin first (ignore the label) and see if you agree with the assigned grade after a full inspection, not the other way around. I know its tough but I'm trying to practice this myself.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, thanks and I'm in!
    My tip: grade your raw coins when you are in a foul mood, and nothing pleases you. Then select the best and package your submission.
    Never get a submission ready when you're in a good mood--it's the same as going to the grocery store when you're hungry....everything looks good.

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I'm in and thank you for the opportunity for a chance to win something

Tip:
    Don't take any wooden nickels

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in, thanks! :)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 7:37AM

Congrats on another badge of the required 15 pieces of "flair".

Always remember to cite your sources. Otherwise someone may think that YOU are the knowledgeable one and bug the heck out of you!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

In, Thank You.
    Buy some books before you buy some coins.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

im in as well.

• Options

Prizes Posted! Don't forget to enter and please read the rules.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...just single handedly gave you your 24th badge with a free “agree” right there...BAM ;)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in, thanks!

When purchasing an 1896 S Barber carefully match up the position of the mintmark.

I found a VERY deceptive fake [added MM] in a dealer's case by comparing it to the known positions.
    It [the MM] was only off by a tiny bit, to the left 9facing the coin) and it had passed thru 3 dealers hands already.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said: "...just single handedly gave you your 24th badge with a free “agree” right there...BAM ;)"

Cool and thanks. Makes me want to "Fix" the drawing...LOL. NOT! :)

• Options

I'm in, thanks!

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

I'm in, I would suggest not submitting coins received as part of a promotional mailing campaign :)

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

Sign me up, please? Thanks for the opportunity!

I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in, thanks! 1921 Peace dollars are often weakly struck especially the hair detail around her ear because the pressure to strike the coin needed to be reduced to extend die life.

• Options

@dadams said:
    I'm in, I would suggest not submitting coins received as part of a promotional mailing campaign :)

Tip: People collect these things so don't throw it away and don't remove the cent!

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

Weakly struck coins aren’t a function of striking pressure. The pressure from the coining press was constant, but the die and anvil could be moved closer or further apart (think die setup test strikes).

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file