Home U.S. Coin Forum

1798 Draped Bust Dollar Small Eagle

This one has me stumped. I can't spot where/if the coin has been plugged, the whizzed surfaces certainly don't help. Did PCGS get this wrong? I know they mis-identified it as being a Large Eagle when it obviously is not.

https://ebay.com/itm/1798-Draped-Bust-Dollar-Small-Eagles-PCGS-Genuine-/182846389799?

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fields have obviously had the metal in them moved. If you look inside the date and letters, you will see a different surface. There is a fake sheen the the surface of the fields. There is also a bright spot between the "ER" in "LIBERTY."

I am on a iPad and can't post pictures. I will see what I can do tomorrow to show you the difference.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right above her head below the E and R I see some discoloring? Like you said its tough to tell as the fields have most likely been smoothed at some point. Other than that, a very desirable coin.

nice piece of history and going to realize strong money.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

It is a nice looking coin, but it's easy to see that the surfaces have been messed with from the photo. I will post a pictures of a dipped, but not polished 1795 dollar tomorrow.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

That ERT area on the obverse looks funky and the corresponding area after AMERICA on the reverse looks odd, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

That was the first 18th century silver coin I bought in XF45. Years later bought an ex Cardinal example but have since sold the Cardinal piece. Great piece of history

The plug shows on the lower right reverse besides tweet the E R

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Round discolored plug between the "ER." You'll notice the altered surface (no metal flow) on the reverse where the hole was repaired. The color and uniformity of a coin's surface are very useful to detect repairs, etc.

BTW, there is a big difference between a labeling error and missing an alteration. I'll bet this is what happened, the coin was input as a large eagle. Then the first grader detected the repair and that the coin was a small eagle. In his excitement, he forgot to correct the variety and all that saw the coin after that were more concentrated on the plug.

• ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    That ERT area on the obverse looks funky and the corresponding area after AMERICA on the reverse looks odd, as well.

OK, I see the oval shaped plug outline on the reverse.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting... had my eye on this one :/

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 10:06AM

The lower right serif on E in LIBERTY was re-engraved after the hole was plugged, and is slightly lower than the base of R, when it should be slightly higher than R on BB-82.

The re-engraved E can also be determined by comparing it to the reverse E's, which have parallel base and top, the obverse E has a base that drifts downward and is not parallel to the top.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still very nice coin.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
    edited October 28, 2017 8:45AM

There are two varieties of 1798 Small Eagle Bust Dollars. This one and the OP are the same variety, B-2 (Bolender) and BB-82 (Bowers). Here is the piece in my "Red Book" set. This one is graded VF-35.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, at the ER of LIBERTY. The great majority of holes are at 12 o'clock on the obverse, to hang on a ribbon or whatever.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a nice coin..... pretty good work, though detectable.... Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a definite plug at the "ER" as others have said. It also appears that a second plug is possible on Liberty's upper chest. Whoever worked on this coin was quite skillful.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file