Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 1 thing the mint could do right on limited new issues

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint just lifted the household limits, from 2 per HH, today. After only 1 day when it had a HH limit.

Thinking about that, I think that may very well be a good compromise to many of the complaints. While there will NEVER solution that makes 100% of the people happy, I could see this as a good compromise to help out true collectors....

Day 1 release: HH limit of 2 (or some number below 5, but more than just 1).
Day 2 (or maybe Day 3): Remove, or greatly increase, the HH limit number.

This would allow collectors a limited window to get a limited release item. Wouldn't stop people/dealers from using networks and getting 100+, but it would stop the 10,000+ buys (maybe).
It would also, quickly, remove the limit so that dealers COULD still order a large number for their customers...so they don't look out of the loop and unable to fill what their customers want.

Yes, it would remove some of our flipping $$$, potentially, as dealers would know the HH limit would be removed sooner rather than later, but, as a collector, it could prolong the availability so that people could get home from work and have a shot of getting things.

Just a thought....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is there so much complaining about how the mint operates. The only fun time is when the mint has an uber hot offering that we all fight over at 12pm est. I hope they don't change a thing except maybe creating more hot rarities with open HH prime for flipping. It's FUN!

The more you VAM..
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

From watching the reactions to the Mint's releases over almost 20 years, no matter what the Mint does, they'll be criticized for it.

For instance, your scenario could make cancellations worse, since the large orders on day 2 would be delayed in shipping (because of day 1 orders). During that time, if the product doesn't have a flip, they'd have more time to cancel the order without penalty. It would also bring out the robo-orderers in force, since the larger dealers will want the product ASAP and not wait until day 2, since the product could sell out,

I've learned to just suck it up, and deal with whatever the Mint decides to do, and base my purchasing decisions on that. Then too, I haven't been shut out of a product (that I've wanted) since 1999 or 2000...

@Bochiman said:
    The mint just lifted the household limits, from 2 per HH, today. After only 1 day when it had a HH limit.

The Mint has another (what they hope to be a) huge release 2 weeks after the LESP set went on sale. They probably want to be done with the LESP rush before they have to deal with the 4-medal set.

As an aside, it's only October. I still think the Mint will have another "surprise" release later this year.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

We thank you for your interest.

.....The US Mint

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an even better solution --- the Mint states what the issue is, how many will be issued and when they will be available for purchase, nothing more and nothing less. as others have said, people will complain no matter what is done, it seems to be their nature.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 50's and 60's, they didn't announce the mintage until the end of the year (or maybe quarterly)...let's go back to that. So use Keet's plan minus the mintage.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember to good ol'days, mail order only?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to be able to sign up for the limited qty ahead like the ATB then perhaps they could get the proper issue qty. just a thought

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

let the Mint figure out how to strike to demand.

the big problem is that people want to either make money by "flipping" or get their own item at a reduced cost by ordering multiples and "flipping" the extras.

to my way of thinking, the Mint isn't the problem, greedy collectors/dealers are. that separates the whining into two distinct groups, those legitimate whiners who get shut out and those whiners who greedily buy to profit.

strike on demand will quiet one group and enrage the other. oh well...............................

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

They figured it out in 1998, with the Bobby Kennedy dollar / JFK half dollar set. There was a short ordering window in which anyone could order as many sets as they wanted. The number ordered during that window was the number struck (about 62,000 as I recall).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

@Overdate said:

@keets said:

They figured it out in 1998, with the Bobby Kennedy dollar / JFK half dollar set. There was a short ordering window in which anyone could order as many sets as they wanted. The number ordered during that window was the number struck (about 62,000 as I recall).

They also did if for the 2012 San Fran ASE set and the 2013 WP ASE sets, in response to the outrage that the 100K mintage 25th anniversary set created. 30 day ordering period, unlimited sales during that time. Each sold about 225K, with complaints that the set wasn't limited.

@ECHOES said:

And the mint killed mail orders last week on Sept. 30.

US Mint to kill orders by mail...

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2017 10:50AM

@CascadeChris said:
    Why is there so much complaining about how the mint operates. The only fun time is when the mint has an uber hot offering that we all fight over at 12pm est. I hope they don't change a thing except maybe creating more hot rarities with open HH prime for flipping. It's FUN!

No, it's not fun. If you want the item because you are a collector, it sucks big time.

I had a small collection of the presidential chronicles that started with Theodore Roosevelt. I bought the Franklin Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan sets, and then my collection ground to a grinding halt because the mint had to play games with the Harry Truman and John Kennedy sets. I don’t want the Reverse Proof dollar in a slab; I want it as part of the mint package.

Every collection should have an equal chance to buy these coins. It should not be limited to those who have access to a computer at noon on a weekday. Some people have to work for a living and don’t have that access.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

Yes I do.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. I kinda think they ought to stick to making coins for commerce. Maybe a few proofs. Let the private sector make stuff “for profit.”

Likely not a popular opinion here....,,

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not buy many Mint offerings. I have been fortunate, however, with those I wanted. I do not sell or flip coins, so just order one of what I want. Just lucky so far.....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file