Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Peace Dollar NEWP - updated with grade posted

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2017 6:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently let it be known that I might start a Peace dollar set to go with my colonial collection of early 8 Reales.
I gave into temptation. Here is my recent Peace dollar purchase.
I have never started a "guess the grade" thread (until now).
The only photo I have of the coin is the TrueView, so please don't look it up until after you have recorded your opinion.
What say you? What grade would you give this one?

It is a 65 with subdued luster.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's gorgeous! That obverse is screaming MS66, but the reverse is marked up enough along the length of the eagle's body, especially on the right leg above the talons and along the center of the body, to merit MS65. If correct, I think that is a terrific coin for the grade.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give it a grade of 'Very Nice'...great looking coin and thanks for posting!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2017 1:33PM

Thanks, TomB, for the nice comments. Coming from someone with your experience and reputation for having a good eye, that means a lot!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

65+

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

really nice, I'd go 65+

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 5:16PM

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take back went and looked at the eagles leg and it has to be a 65

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Gem quality for sure. I would say 66.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous. I would hope that the obverse would carry it to a 66!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with others, really nice 65

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's in a 65 or 65+ holder, probably with green bean, but it has the look of most coins in 66 holders. If it's in a 65 holder it is very nice for grade. Detail is excellent. I'm going to depart from TomB's expert opinion just a little bit. Judging the TrueView, I'd say luster, while full, is ever so slightly subdued, accounting for the grade. The few marks on the reverse don't really limit the coin in my view. There are plenty of full-blown 66 coins with worse, provided they have screaming luster. The cheek and obverse fields are VERY nice and this is exactly the sort of coin I was looking for while building my set.

BTW, a Morgan with this exact look would live in a 66+ holder every day of the week. The graders are tough on this series.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Second nice peace dolkar ive seen in the last few days. I like it as a 66.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not very good at the grading game....but 65 sounds right and wow what a beautiful coin...makes my Peace Dollars look like spoils of war.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017 2:46PM

66, and probably + although that's getting way up there for a 35.
    If I saw this coin offered as a 65 I'd buy it without a moment of hesitation.
    Add:
    That's going to be a difficult coin to match for the rest of the set ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin- especially the obverse. Nice purchase.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<3

Becky
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017 4:19PM

66+/65 ergo 65+ Mark on the front leg is too focally located
    However, If the reflectivity inside the marks are as toned to minimal reflectivity as it might appear, I could see it sliding into a 66 holder.

Quite sweet :D

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it has a great look to it and I'd be proud to own it. If the true view is anything like how it looks in hand I'd like to see it as a 66.

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

She's a beaut!! She's gemmy but think in hand needed to assess luster and whether the reverse marks are masked a bit by the patina (they appear to be). Good thing she's in a slab as the risk of drooling on her is real.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

67 That's a really nice Peace dollar.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice looking 65 or 66. I think it would have to be viewed in hand to make the final decision. I like the 1934 and 1935 dated Peace Dollars along with the 1921 High Relief ... but really no other regular issues.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017 5:34PM

@Yorkshireman said:
    The only photo I have of the coin is the TrueView, so please don't look it up until after you have recorded your opinion.

You can go to images.pcgs.com/trueview/84642614 to download an image with a white background.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultra wicked gem frosty is the grade I would assign. Very nice Peace buck, I'll wager 65+.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

"wow! that looks very frosty. 66?"

that was my thought before reading any comments or looking it up. nice coin...good luck finding more

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW coin for sure. 65+

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 66 from what I see. Very pretty peace!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazingly clean obverse. really lovely. ?66

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was a 66; great looking peace dollar. I'd want one that looks like that.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the pics re the luster factor. If subdued, I'll guess 65+ with the killer obverse.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace Dollars can turn into an addiction. Don't ask! I'll go 66.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017 6:45PM

Really nice obverse. I’ll guess 65 - reverse limited. What is up with the B in liberty. Is there some extra metal up there?

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

WOW! I like at 65+

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms65. Front is nice pretty free of anything major. Reverse has some contact marks couple spots but look good

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Great look obverse.....
    I would say maybe 65+
    Maybe 65CAC

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one gorgeous Peace dollar!
    The clean and uniform luster and overall look far outweigh the very few little nicks on the reverse. My initial reaction was 66 or better, and I'm sticking to that.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

What a gorgeous obverse. From the images I would guess 66 obverse, 65 reverse, 65+ net grade. Very nice! B)

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

66 obverse, 65 reverse. Should be a 65, but a 66 holder wouldn't shock me.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017 8:34PM

65+ nice clean piece . Next GTG hide the Cert, I won't give it away but it's to easy to take a peak. I had to look after my quess.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pay 66 money for that coin and hope that it might upgrade to 66+. The marks on the leg would preclude 67, but the obverse looks 67. Gorgeous Peace Dollar.

OINK

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 if the grader didn't get a tongue lashing from his wife the night before. 65+ if he was in a foul mood. "Loverly" Peace dollar Lee!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

The coin is in a 65 holder. The luster is somewhat subdued. That may be why. The obverse is breath taking in hand despite the low level of luster.
    I have seen 66's that don't look this nice. Some have suggested better luster might have gotten it a 66. While I love originality, in this case a dip might help.
    What do you think?

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    The coin is in a 65 holder. The luster is somewhat subdued. That may be why. The obverse is breath taking in hand despite the low level of luster.
    I have seen 66's that don't look this nice. Some have suggested better luster might have gotten it a 66. While I love originality, in this case a dip might help.
    What do you think?

I don't see it in the picture, but if the coin is already low luster, then dipping it might be disastrous.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, please don't dip a coin like this. Just enjoy her for what she is. A dip can never increase luster, only decrease it. It can sometimes uncover hidden luster, but there's not enough toning here for that to be a possibility.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a real beauty.... clean, with luster... the reverse is hurting the grade - as TomB noted...65 is a good grade... with a better reverse that would be a 66, maybe 66+... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Ok, no dipping.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    What do you think?

On the 34-35 Peace Dollars the luster tends to be more satiny than earlier coins in the series. I agree with others, don't dip, it looks great.
    I'd be interested to see how it beans

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think is is really nice for a 65 and would also like to see how it goes at CAC. That cheek is really sweet.

• Options

On the 34-35 Peace Dollars the luster tends to be more satiny than earlier coins in the series. I agree with others, don't dip, it looks great.
    I'd be interested to see how it beans

Can't wait to see!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file