Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A little OT but I know some of you mix the light with dark side. Mexico City coin report

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2017 8:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In between earthquakes I was able to set aside a little time to decompress with coins and take my mind off of the mayhem in MC. I met up with pruebas at the Bi Annual Mexico City coin show on Friday. I was only able to do a quick walk through this quaint show as my wife was coming in from LA that afternoon. The show didn't yield me any coins but I was able to pick up a cool coffee table book printed in English from the Banco De Mexico. It's actually pretty awesome. Pruebas is a cool dude and it was a pleasure to meet him.

Today I was able to go to the Museo Soumaya with my wife. This in my opinion is one of the coolest museums in the world. They had half of one floor devoted to coins and medals of Mexico. It was pretty comprehensive. Some pictures of the exhibits:

Here are some random pics of the Museo Soumaya.

My wife pictured in the foreground

And of course I had some other non coin favorites. The Thinker with Tracy and also anothecRodin piece that I have always thought was insane. Las Tres Sambras.

If you have never been to Mexico City I strongly recommend it. Between the people, culture, food and architecture it maybe my favorite city in the world. I work here 3 weeks of the month and we are contemplating getting a more permanent place here. Some on the neighborhoods have a Greenwich Village feel while others kick Parisian with a Latin flair. A great walking city.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the very Mexican coin and art related report, Mark! Makes me want to travel to Mexico city and walkabout.
    What about the super rich food and jugs of wine, though? Wrong show?!
    Of course you married an attractive thinker with a sense of humor!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hablas español marca.
    he estado estudiando.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Might not want to eat any greasy chips before paging through that book. :)

Nice report! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to attend that coin show but doubt I ever will. It would be interesting to see the variety and quality of Mexican material in Mexico. A few years ago I was corresponding with a researcher/author, discussing border tokens and state coppers. He said that supply of quality material in Mexico was really drying up. I'd still love to hit that show. Maybe the dealers have pico de gallo stains on their shirts instead of mustard.

A little OT, but any safety concerns (cartels, not earthquakes) in Mexico City? If I could visit one city in the world it would be Alamos, Sonora, but don't think I ever will due to drug violence.

Stay safe...

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2017 7:54PM

@TheRegulator. Having lived in a lot of major US cities I have little cartel concerns in the portion of Mexico City I would consider living. Currently I work in Santa Fe and stay in that area. No problems. If we were to get permanent digs I would feel safe in Polanco, Condesa or Roma areas . I walk these tree lined, cafe filled streets at night with regularity. Some of the best neighborhoods anywhere. It helps to have some street smarts.

Here are a few pics of the Polanco area.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Very pretty. Thanks for posting. :)

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

That last statue is just crazy. Any other images of it?

Larry

• Options
    edited September 24, 2017 8:12PM

@ldhair said:
    That last statue is just crazy. Any other images of it?

I thought I did. I do have this. mark

Here is link you may feel helpful.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_tres_sombras

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures and it looks like a great experience. I bet that book is cool, too. Your wife is also quite lovely!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexican 8 Real coins from the late 19th century are about the size of Morgans, most are inexpensive, and imo are more attractive. Suggestion - the next time you're there, please send a pic of El Angel de la Libertad. It's on that attractive walk street in the nice part of town you mentioned. I stayed near there while in the D.F.

The neighborhoods you mentioned are very pleasant places to visit, and I imagine, to live, as well. Been there.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and photos, looks like a great museum. enjoy the book!

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing Mark. Never knew that place is beautiful and wants me to visit that show and museum sometime in the near future.

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report Mark, and the great photographs. Let's hope the quakes are done for while... and if you do make it more permanent there, make sure the structure is low and sturdy. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree about the food...loved it.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three weeks a month away from her? I couldn't do it, man!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2017 9:01AM

@Weiss said:
    Three weeks a month away from her? I couldn't do it, man!

I have work release on weekends. I spend one week in LA a month and all the weekends. ( this weekend the exception) Sometimes I just do a M-Thursday. It's a lot easier on us then when a I was working in NY and she was in LA. NY-LA is nearly a 6 hour flight. LA to Mexico City is half that

I get the drift Weiss B) . She's the coolest person I know

mark

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, it was a pleasure to meet you as well. I hope you can make time to continue to attend (set-up day being the best day). There are also 2 companies regularly holding numismatic auctions, both at the convention and outside it (next one in December 2017).

And bring your wife next time!

The Mexican Numismatic Society just celebrated its 65th year and while the show does have a "quaint" feel as Mark said, you wouldn't believe the rarities (mostly Mexican of course) that have traded hands at that show over the years. My collection of Mexican patterns just wouldn't be as complete had I not traveled to the "home country" to seek them.

The next show will be in March 2018 (date TBD). If anyone wants to attend, feel free to hit me up for info. I've been going for over 20 years now, with a table for the last few.

You forgot to mention the Mexican beers that can't be had outside the country. Fantastic!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot to mention that the Soumaya Museum is Carlos Slim's collection. While the manner in which the coins are displayed leaves something to be desired, it's a great collection of Mexican gold and some banknotes.

It was purchased en bloc from another famous collector whose name escapes me.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2017 9:17AM

True pruebas.

fwiw- The entire museum is private and founded by the Slim's. The Slim foundation "owns" it. The Soumaya museum was named after Slim's deceased wife. That was her first name. Carlos Slim was the richest man in the world for a lengthy period this decade.

I do a little business with Patrick Slim ( son)

mark

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, great report & book, thanks for posting. I realize you didn't have much time to shop but did you notice many US coins there?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@tommy44

A handful of pretty beat up US classics. Random pieces

mark

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) thread

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 10:39AM

>
    Beautiful glossy. What periods does it cover?

>
    >

captivating, the detail is amazing. me want.

>

>

how do they keep them from bouncing around in quakes?

>
    Fantastic architecture.

>
    >

And of course I had some other non coin favorites. The Thinker with Tracy and also anothecRodin piece that I have always thought was insane. Las Tres Sambras.

and the best in the museum, a wife that does not mind going into a museum with coins.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2017 11:36AM

@MsMorrisine . The covers the whole shabang. It's a winner.

More museum. Gates of Hell

mark

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to converse in English? Or is Spanish a real plus?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Are you able to converse in English? Or is Spanish a real plus?

bob

My Spanish is improving everyday since I began working there in February but you can get by with English

m

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 6:03PM

Went through the drive-thru at Taco Bell the other day. Thought of you.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman Mark thanks for the wonderful museum tour and photos. I have only had the pleasure of being in Mexico City one time, unfortunately it was on 9/11/2001, and I and some U.S.-based co-workers were on our way in a limo to the Mexico City office for meetings when the first plane hit the tower. Although my co-workers were living in the U.S. at the time, they were natives of South America; I was the only Anglo in the office. Of course regular work went out the window as we watched the horrible tragedy unfold on local TV. My eyes welled up repeatedly, although I told myself I would "not lose it" in front of my fellow employees, many of whom were meeting me face-to-face for the first time. I and the other two guys had hotel rooms at a nice Hyatt (?) in Polanco (there were lovely saltwater aquariums; maybe you know the place). I was extremely touched by the large number of employees who offered me to stay at their places rather than go back to my hotel room alone on such an awful night. I thanked them all profusely but did not want to impose ... probably my own innate reserve disappointed some of them.

The manager of the Mexico City office (this was a large Fortune 500 company and I was communications manager for our Latin America region at the time), probably in an abundance of caution, decided we should move to a less-swanky hotel in a more low-key part of town. This was the first leg of a weeklong trip that included our offices in Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires. Since the U.S. borders were closed for the better part of a week (that is a sick feeling to know that you may not be able to get back into your own country), I continued my trip as scheduled to Brazil and Argentina.

But I will never, ever, forget the many kindnesses extended to me on an awful day by people I scarcely knew in Mexico City. Many of them continued to check on me and chat via email for months later.

The night before the tragedy, I thought I was going to see a performance of Verdi's Macbeth at the Palacio de Bellas Artes, but through a scheduling mix-up I ended up seeing the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico in vignettes depicting Mexico's long history--not a performance I would have chosen to see, but which ended up to be fantastically enjoyable.

You certainly make me want to go back under more favorable circumstances.

PS Duolingo is a great free website for improving your Spanish. Buena suerte en su nuevo trabajo!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Mark don't worry about OT. The only guy that would complain is that "Cat" person. You posted some really neat stuff here. If I had more $$$ I would love to collect the old pieces of 8.

And I agree with TomB.......your wife is a lovely person. B)

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico City 2X. I used to travel south of the border and all the way to the Southern tip of Chile over years about 20 to 30 years ago. Great times. Thanks for sharing. Spanish is coming in real handy living here in the Republic of California.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2018 7:09PM

@metalmeister said:
    Mexico City 2X. I used to travel south of the border and all the way to the Southern tip of Chile over years about 20 to 30 years ago. Great times. Thanks for sharing. Spanish is coming in real handy living here in the Republic of California.

It’s hard to imagine but less then 200 years ago Mexico had to give up Texas, California, Arizona, Nevada, parts of Colorado and Utah in a lost wars. That’s a lot and I mean a lot of land.

mark

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Mark--Very cool pics and story. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    What a story and experience. Thank you for sharing...and BTW I think you are very good on your photography!

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Superb post -- thanks for sharing.

I lived in Mexico City for 2 years growing up. Your images brought back many fond memories.

With all of the bad press that Mexico gets in this country these days, it is good to see that it is still a wonderful place.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's so cool Mark, I've been a fan of coins from Mexico ever since I started collecting, I think they are the most Beautiful in the world IMO, and meeting Pruebas must have been a thrill, I love his Patterns of Mexico

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2018 6:45AM

@giorgio11 said:
    @Justacommeman Mark thanks for the wonderful museum tour and photos. I have only had the pleasure of being in Mexico City one time, unfortunately it was on 9/11/2001, and I and some U.S.-based co-workers were on our way in a limo to the Mexico City office for meetings when the first plane hit the tower. Although my co-workers were living in the U.S. at the time, they were natives of South America; I was the only Anglo in the office. Of course regular work went out the window as we watched the horrible tragedy unfold on local TV. My eyes welled up repeatedly, although I told myself I would "not lose it" in front of my fellow employees, many of whom were meeting me face-to-face for the first time. I and the other two guys had hotel rooms at a nice Hyatt (?) in Polanco (there were lovely saltwater aquariums; maybe you know the place). I was extremely touched by the large number of employees who offered me to stay at their places rather than go back to my hotel room alone on such an awful night. I thanked them all profusely but did not want to impose ... probably my own innate reserve disappointed some of them.

The manager of the Mexico City office (this was a large Fortune 500 company and I was communications manager for our Latin America region at the time), probably in an abundance of caution, decided we should move to a less-swanky hotel in a more low-key part of town. This was the first leg of a weeklong trip that included our offices in Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires. Since the U.S. borders were closed for the better part of a week (that is a sick feeling to know that you may not be able to get back into your own country), I continued my trip as scheduled to Brazil and Argentina.

But I will never, ever, forget the many kindnesses extended to me on an awful day by people I scarcely knew in Mexico City. Many of them continued to check on me and chat via email for months later.

The night before the tragedy, I thought I was going to see a performance of Verdi's Macbeth at the Palacio de Bellas Artes, but through a scheduling mix-up I ended up seeing the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico in vignettes depicting Mexico's long history--not a performance I would have chosen to see, but which ended up to be fantastically enjoyable.

You certainly make me want to go back under more favorable circumstances.

PS Duolingo is a great free website for improving your Spanish. Buena suerte en su nuevo trabajo!

Kind regards,

George

George I was in Paris on 9/11. ( my apt 3 blocks from the WTC). I had the complete opposite experience with the Parisians. Some were actually gloating as if we had it coming to us. We hightailed it out of there within the hour and made our may to Florence where we were treated well. I wanted out of Paris as well because I thought the Effiel Tower might be a potential target.

Thanks for adding your Mexico City experiences

m

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures! Mexico is beautiful!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

George I was in Paris on 9/11. ( my apt 3 blocks from the WTC). I had the complete opposite experience with the Parisians. Some were actually gloating as if we had it coming to us. We hightailed it out of there within the hour and made our may to Florence where we were treated well. I wanted out of Paris as well because I thought the Effiel Tower might be a potential target.

Thanks for adding your Mexico City experiences

m

@Justacommeman Mark amazing the depths of cruelty and callousness some people can stoop to.

I think you were very wise to get away from Le Tour Eiffel.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool and interesting post! Cool coins and amazing art! Thank you for posting!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 9:44PM

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Real disappointed in hearing how the Parisians treated you in a time of need.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

What a fun report to read. I really liked the "Gates of Hell" pic. One of my favorite pieces.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing and, again, bringing it up a year later. Nice coin show venue compared to the warehouses where we have ours.

Paul
  • Options

@pmac said:
    Thanks for sharing and, again, bringing it up a year later. Nice coin show venue compared to the warehouses where we have ours.

Thank you! I wanted to update it with the pics Elcontador requested.

All the best

mark

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 5:24AM

Great report and agree that you have many many parts of Mexico no worse then many US cities. The stories of crime are comparative now. Perhaps we take same approach and let migration continue through to the North boarder. You can pass through but can’t stop here. Best of luck welcome to Canada.

I was in NY and seen the tower burn for months and months. It was and still something I cannot talk much more about.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

I was in NY and seen the tower burn for months and months. It was and still something I cannot talk much more about.

Toby Keith has a song about that......one of my favorites!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@metalmeister said:

It’s hard to imagine but less then 200 years ago Mexico had to give up Texas, California, Arizona, Nevada, parts of Colorado and Utah in a lost wars. That’s a lot and I mean a lot of land.

mark

This Grave marker in California says it all. Lived in the same place. Born in Mexico. Died in USA.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file