Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help Please. Why is this Lincoln not considered Red?

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.
Ken

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, I am no expert on color, and second, I do have slabbed red cents... Third, I can only reply based on your picture.... So, that being said... I see that cent as more RB than R.... maybe even RRB.... since we coin people tend to 'split hairs'.... However, full red, no. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 8:07AM

It is tough to judge from the pictures because you have a bright red area and then you have a subdued area on either side of that. I know that is probably the camera reflecting the luster of the piece, but still the question cannot be answered from the photos, and perhaps can't be answered from photos.

You do have some toning spots in the red areas are shown, so that might have something to do with the R&B.

I have seen R&B rated coins, mostly older Indian Cents, that looked red all over, but had been “helped” to look that way. I suppose those were examples of “market grading.” I don’t necessarily condemn that if the coin is stable and will hold its color with proper storage.

This coin looks to be original to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin can be 94% Red and still be Red-Brown. Yours is more on the upper part of the spectrum.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not understand the finer points of R or RB, but in any case that is a good looking Lincoln.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighting plays a big role. Then again, it could simply have been a typo error when the cert was key punched.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they may error on the "low side" if there is any doubt? Theory being, if there is a sign of brown, it's probably only going to get browner over time....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

The RB designation was an opinion at the time it was graded. Opinions vary. I've resubmitted RB's and gotten RD designations. Below, for example, is a really difficult 1923-S, originally graded RB. Today it is RD.
    Lance.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen RD 1919's with more brown than your coin.
    What;s the grade?
    Therein might lay your answer.
    The reverse doesn't look full red to me though.

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    What;s the grade?

64RB

Ken

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a 64RD to compare with. Sorry I don't have one the same date as yours.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1909 Plain Lincoln Cent is graded PCGS Matte Proof - 66, R&B, There not much brown on this piece.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fairlaneman said:

@mannie gray said:
    What;s the grade?

64RB

Ken

Sometimes on borderline color coins as yours is, they will "give you" a grade bump instead of the color designation you want or think the coin merits.
    In this case, it doesn't look like that's what happened as I can't see your coin as less than a 64 regardless of color designation.
    As an example, several years ago I bought a very nice raw 1925-S. It was outstanding.
    I thought it was a 65+RB.....well struck, great luster, and about 20-25% red.
    Instead of giving me the 65RB, they "graded" it 66BN......which, essentially is the same thing...BUT..despite very similar "price guide" values....a 66BN is a slight gift on the one hand and a slap on the wrist on the other as it is a more difficult coin to sell.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with @Ricko on this one.

Cheers

Bob

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Bill Jones wrote, it could be the lighting on the pic. Your coin is more gold than RD. I have a RD IHC and a RD Lincoln Cent. My coins have the bright orange hue throughout both obverse and reverse that your coin lacks.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a fingerprint was removed. From the picture there seems to be several light brown specks on reverse and obverse on Lincoln. Nice coin still.

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

because it has a "Blue" toning on the underlying of that brown dirty film on top

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is this Lincoln not considered Red?

It has not been submitted enough times... help them out by using the RD coin number

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 1:08PM

Your coin has some "defects." Until you post the grade, we will not know if it was bumped as one member posted.

As a very conservative grader I'm MS-63 but probably TPGS MS-64. I'd offer it at a 65 price.

Obverse has HLNS, friction, and spots.
    Reverse has ED spots.

IMO, the reverse color "killed" the RD designation. The coin does not look cleaned to me.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

Obverse looks like it could go either RD or RB. However, reverse looks more RB, and that's the last thing the grader saw.

@BillJones, that proof definitely looks to have a claim on full RD.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file