Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Say it isn't true! Goodbye and farewell coins!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2017 9:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I had no idea when they would end, but I just ran across the following on the US Mint website!

Do we know what is, or will be, the key to the series now?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the implications are for the series and pricing now. While I would usually consider coins of this nature cheap bullion coins, some of them do have surprisingly low mintages.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's more excitement.............

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care about them. Most of them should never have been minted.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never really cared for these types of coins.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, there you go again, Bill. You don't like something (CAC, modern Presidential coins, etc.) and boom! You know what I don't like? :wink:

• Options
    edited September 17, 2017 6:39PM

@Insider2 said:
    Yea, there you go again, Bill. You don't like something (CAC, modern Presidential coins, etc.) and boom! You know what I don't like? :wink:

I have expressed my position on these commemative coins many times and have backed it up with historical facts.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice the "First Spouse" pieces are 'products' and not 'medals.'

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sooner or later they'll be gone and many will say "good riddance".

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

These will be very popular galaxy-wide in aboit 250 years. Nowadays,... meh

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2017 8:16PM

Ha ha Is i all can, add, do your own math.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Do we know what is, or will be, the key to the series now?

Hardly anyone will collect them as a series.
    Popular coins will likely be:

Wives of founding fathers.
    Four-coin "Liberty" subset.
    Eleanor Roosevelt.
    Jackie Kennedy.
    Nancy Reagan.

And proofs will be more in demand than uncirculated.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one of the Jefferson's Liberty. Doing the set looked like a money pit to me.

Larry

• Options

I also bought the Jefferson - Draped Bust piece because I have long admired the Draped Bust design. I got a defective one from the mint and ended up not keeping it. I sold it for a small profit when the bullion prices increased.

The only other one I have is the Jackie Kennedy piece, mostly for nostalgic reasons. My parents were head of heals “in love” with the Kennedys in the early 1960s, and I was a naive kid who viewed our national leaders with rose colored glasses. Jackie and John were a handsome, elegant couple, and I admired his intelligence and her elegance. Little did we know about his philandering ways and later her re-marriage for money. Still the Jackie Kennedy First Spouse coin and Kennedy gold half dollar make an attractive pair, especially in their elegant wooden mint boxes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never cared for either series. To me, they were simply sales gimmicks.... and a money pit. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file