Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What an unselfish place this can be - update with grading results

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 12, 2017 8:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

shout out to Shamika for bringing this piece to my attention. Not the first time, nor even the first for this date and MM. what are some of your best stories of board members passing along something to you when they could have done well be scoping it up themselves?

Feel free to GTG and what makes this one special.

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only thing I have in my book is a 2 feather variety for the year....

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2017 8:16PM

Cool!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one is ALL there! Some pretty nice clashing, too. Nice of Shamika to do that for you-he's one of the "good guys" here for sure!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

:smile:

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Buffalo. :+1::+1:

I don't know Shamika, but that is a very kind gesture on his part. That is what collecting is all about, making friends and helping each other out.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, a forum member told me about an incredibly toned 1899 Liberty Nickel in PC 6 which was being sold at a current Heritage Auction. He gave me a detailed description of it; this was someone I trusted, so I put in a bid and actually got it at the seller's reserve. The coin has subtle, attractive toning showing various colors of the rainbow, and some apricot thrown in, on both obverse and reverse.

Attractively toned SLQs and Liberty Nickels are very hard to find, and if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have known about it, as I was in Brasil at time. In all of the years I've collected the series, I've only seen one Liberty Nickel with toning more attractive than this one.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Great coin and nice to here about Shamika helping.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a super nice buffalo.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 4:02AM

ms66+. Edited from ms67.

Reason being the luster is hard to gauge and strike is a little soft. could still be ms67 from a marks perspective

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owe a lot to engraved. He has pointed me to a number of neat double dime love tokens and engraved pieces. He's a good man ... but doesn't post here much anymore.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice Buffalo, but not a 2 feather is it? I see the 3rd feather. Is it the DDR?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice nickel.... MS66....This forum is great, and there are many super members that help others. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It is an unattributed two feather, currently in a PCGS65 holder. I will able to pick this up for slightly more than 'average auction', whereas the only auction record for an attributed 65 carried a pretty decent premium. I will send it either raw or regrade for attribution, depending on what else I have to submit. If it stays 65, it joins a current POP of 5. If it were to go 66, it would become a top POP. Luster from this sellers images are all but impossible to assess. No question it has a great strike.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once solicited advice here about a PC purchase I was working towards. a member entered the thread and followed via PM for my address. he sent me a PC complete with monitor that he recently upgraded from, wouldn't even take any form a payment or let me pay for the shipping.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had a forum member gift me a coin I needed for my clipped date set, a later date zinc coin which is still over a decade later extremely rare. A reward I had offered for the coin went to a local charity instead.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great that Shamika helps ya out Al. Great looking Buff no matter what the grade. Great score.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum has a LOT of great people as members!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

The giants reside here.

Humbly submitted.

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

That was very nice of the person to do and a great looking coin

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I am new here [getting ready for my 1 year anniversary giveaway], but there are people here that I have conversed with, dealt with, and just plain enjoy listening to :smile:
    This is a great forum when used properly.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I thought the feather had to be all missing.....I can see some there. Is this really a 2 feather?

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I thought the feather had to be all missing.....I can see some there. Is this really a 2 feather?

Truth be told, not all recognized 2-feather Buffalo Nickels are completely devoid of the third feather. The 13-D type 2 is one of these.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

@Shamika said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Truth be told, not all recognized 2-feather Buffalo Nickels are completely devoid of the third feather. The 13-D type 2 is one of these.

I'll bet that causes some bad feelings on some submissions. The less judgement calls those variety guys have to make the better. ;)

• Options

I personally would not consider this to be a two feather variety. The one known die has just the tiniest remnant of the feather and the Mint mark is solid-i.e. completely filled. The known die also doesn't show all that clashing. The coin shown is, regardless, an outstanding example of the date. I think the clash adds character. It could almost be called a "spiked chin." I've seen very similar clashing on the 1913-S Var 1, 1913-S Var 2, and on the 1916-S.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to agree with Ron. Any 13-D TY 1 2Fs I've seen, (admittedly not one in as high a grade) have more of an indistinct mound where the small feather is. Just too much detail in this one. Might attribute anyway, PCGS seem to be a bit lenient in attributing 2 feathers lately. Still a very nice coin and a nice gesture by Shamika.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options

Lots of respectable opinions, and a tad at odds. I will be submitting for attribution, and feel somewhat comfortable in doing so. As Shamika points out, varying degrees of feather presence get attributed, and this date is one known for having the most feather remaining.

With regards to the specific die that gets attributed, there appear to be differences within the examples on Coinfacts and past auction examples. The HA image below is an attributed 64 with many (although not all) the same die characteristics and at least as much feather showing. The GC image below is one I got attributed and lacks the clash under the feather.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die crack through "B" in "LIBERTY".

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

I also think you have a shot at attribution.

• Options

And the answer is...... Attributed 2F and an upgrade to 65+ :)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was difficult to really tell if the mintmark was filled on your original pic. 13-D is considered by some as a better choice for a TY-1 as an example of the first year. Seems to be struck better overall.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

I am one that believes the Denver coin is the best produced for the year and variety. The 2F nearly always comes nice. Every one I've seen has that solid MM.

• Options

As has been stated this is one of the 2F dates that still retains a faint image of the third feather. ANACS has been attributing this date for a very long time (since the days of the old small slab.) It is universally accepted as a 2F.

• Options

And BTW-that is a gorgeous example!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file