Home Precious Metals
Options

Curious of the value of 5 ounces of 1940's jewelers gold dust

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

A reputable refiner can assay and appraise. Lools cool but not very liquid in that form to very many people

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Ty

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Baley. If it were documented from Tiffany or some other famous jeweler, or if it were historic from one of our gold rushes and had accompanying historic information, it might have added value.

To my admittedly untrained eye, that looks very uniform in size and sparkle, more like cosmetic or prop material than gold dust from a jeweler. You might consider sending it to Midwest Refineries or another assayer/refiner.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Glitter.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2017 5:58PM

1940? No one has done anything with it in on all those years?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it make a difference what year it's from?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

I've heard of stranger things that's why I posted exactly what I know about it. It's not like my hopes were up just bc it was older but I mean a little notch of doubling can make a coin worth thousands more. Therefore, I always try to learn as much as possible. Thanks for the help guys.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

theres 20 bucks worth stuck to your thumb , I'm going to have to lower my offer :D

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchbelieve said:
    Ty

Huh?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could melt it yourself, although that is a fair amount of work...or send it to a refiner for cash...Other than that, unless someone wants it to melt, it may be difficult to sell... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprising no one has mentioned those film containers are modern, within the last 30years. In the 40's film came in tin containers with a screw on top. There are a lot more questions about this item than answers. I would tend to agree with others have said not gold dust from a jeweler.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:
    Surprising no one has mentioned those film containers are modern, within the last 30years. In the 40's film came in tin containers with a screw on top. There are a lot more questions about this item than answers. I would tend to agree with others have said not gold dust from a jeweler.

Agree. I remember the 35mm film canisters from the 1960's were aluminum with a screw on lid. Without an assay those could be brass filings as far as I know.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2017 9:42AM

was there any paste or construction paper with the lot? :#

or pipe cleaners?

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

Where did you get them? Where is it from?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The film canisters were still made of metal into the 1970s at least.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Bid for dust is zero...

keceph `anah
  • Options

not glitter. This is gold. My neighbor brought it by and told me where it came from. He's not selling it to me. He figured since I liked coins he would show me and ask me what it's worth. I responded by telling him I know the best site with informative people to help him so I grabbed my iPad, took pics, and posted this. It's a shame there are so many people on here thinking I'd waste my time posting glitter but that's expected on any forum. The trolls will remain the trolls

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do jewelers use gold dust for? Or is this a product of many years of collecting gold filings from work pieces?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

No idea and since this doesn't actually belong to me but to my neighbor, I'm done with this particular thread.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

What does troll mean? Someone who actually knows what they are talking about?... prolly...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive melted down piles of jewelers filings. None have ever looked like that. If he is serious about selling, I can smelt melt it down and assay it with an XRF analyzer.

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

No mention of weight. The heft of those canisters would give you a clue if it was gold or not.
    Jewlers in that era used gold shot (mostly 14k) or Mexico 50 Peso reduced with copper. Gold was tightly regulated by the government then so they were required to buy from registered dealers. Even the assay lab in my area had to file all kinds of documents and could only sell to the government.
    I suspect what we're looking at is glitter. Look how fine it is. It would be subject to loss through handling or scattered by a torch attempting a melt. Filings and scrap doesn't look like that.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many canisters does he have ?
    By my rough calculations.....5 oz troy would be 10 canisters.

1.2 ci per canister
    53 pcf for gold dust = .4466 troy oz/ci

Of course my assumptions could be wrong, just thinking aloud.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the cleanest jeweler's gold dust I have ever seen.

Makes me wonder if it's actual gold filings.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can pretty quickly find out if it is gold dust or just glitter. Put it in a crucible and heat it up with a propane torch. If it melts, it's gold. If it burns, it's glitter.

Frankly, looks like glitter to me.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    That's the cleanest jeweler's gold dust I have ever seen.

Makes me wonder if it's actual gold filings.

Right? Why is it so uniform?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeweler's gold dust is usually black, due to the amount of polishing rouge mixed in.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no doubt in my mind that is glitter. The way it is stored and the tape label looks to me as if it was used in a play to replicate gold dust.