Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just literally went through an earthquake in Mexico City

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It kind of sucked to be in it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you're OK!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

It registered an 8.0!!
    And might give a tsunami from it.
    Be careful!

• Options

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2017 11:48PM

Our hotel was rocked. I was on the 38th floor thought I was going to be thrown out of the building. Walked down 38 flights of steps.

All my team ok. The only bright spot was LA Rams cheerleaders running through the lobby in their PJ's. Not sure why there are here.

Last week this was watching off my deck.

And two days before that the flash flood at the Mexico City airport which I was in.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 11:29PM

MSN here reporting it was centered off of the coast of the State of Chiapas. I'm thinking Mexico City is at least a couple hundred miles from there?

edited to add............... near the Guatemala border.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    MSN here reporting it was centered off of the coast of the State of Chiapas. I'm thinking Mexico City is at least a couple hundred miles from there?

Mexico City is about 600 miles away from the epicenter. I'm glad you're okay @justacommeman. On the bright side, at least you're not on the coast. I'm sure it will generate a tsunami.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

'taint no place safe on the planet at the moment!

I'm going to go hide under the PCGS table at the Long Beach show. Maybe someone will drop something good....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2017 11:58PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Mexico City is about 600 miles away from the epicenter. I'm glad you're okay @justacommeman. On the bright side, at least you're not on the coast. I'm sure it will generate a tsunami.

It was an 8.4. Ive been through quite a few quakes. This won lasted more then 60 seconds and there was no doubt what it was. The hotel was a rocking. It evacuated and emptied quickly. I can't imagine being closer to the epicenter. Oaxaca must have been tore up.

They suspended all schools in Mexico City for tomorrow. My flight is at 4:45pm. I want out

m

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    "All my team ok. The only bright spot was LA Rams cheerleaders running through the lobby in their PJ's. Not sure why there are here."

Half naked baby doll pics, or it didn't happen. :*

+1 :D

Since this happened in the middle of the night, there won't be any damage assessments until daybreak. This is the type of earthquake that will punish un-reinforced structures...

Zhaira Franco, 35, who was in Mexico City, told The New York Times that she heard an alarm for about 30 seconds before feeling the quake. She said her building swayed so much that it hit the building next door.

:open_mouth:

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! Glad you and your team are okay. Safe travels!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

a little time is one thing. did you wonder when it was going to stop after 20 seconds?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 5:40AM

Glad you're OK man.....That's scary stuff !!
    Fox just reported at least 15 killed.....probably will be more......

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can relate. I just went through a bag of 10,000 wheat cents.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you're ok Mark. I'll have to check in on my work colleagues and hope they're all ok as well.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2017 7:17AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    a little time is one thing. did you wonder when it was going to stop after 20 seconds?

For the first 20 seconds I was in denial. I was trying to tell myself it was something else. We had just thrown a rock concert so my head was still pounding. The next minute or so was all alarms and went I looked out the window (38th Floor) I disoriented as the building was rocking pretty good. I've been through a couple in California and one big one in Tokyo. You never get used to them

m

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.0 is definitely a mover and a shaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptPekKOigkQ

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Glad that your OK and that your hotel was built to withstand such intensity. Others structures at that magnitude would have crumbled already with a lot of casualties most especially if it was in the or near the epicenter. That is a Very Strong Earthquake!

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

"literally went through" eh? So what was on the other side?

Glad you are OK.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    "All my team ok. The only bright spot was LA Rams cheerleaders running through the lobby in their PJ's. Not sure why there are here."

Half naked baby doll pics, or it didn't happen. :*

I was so shaken up I just now remember that part of it. I'm losing my touch. Seeing them scamper was not hardship

m

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... sure glad you are ok Mark... that is a HUGE earthquake.... I have been through several, including the 6.9 in Seattle.... and that was amazing... I cannot imagine an 8.4 quake.... There will be aftershocks.. go home. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - that is scary!
    My team from Mexico just departed Florida today on the 6 am flight out back home, via Atlanta.
    They're from the northern Baja California region, so they dodged both the hurricane and the earthquake!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2017 6:51AM

@CaptHenway said:
    "literally went through" eh? So what was on the other side?

The pavement. 38 floors down

mark

• Options
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico City is built on top of a sponge. Glad you made it through safely.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure glad you are safe. But, PLEASE do not come to Las Vegas.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a summer this is becoming for natural disasters!

I'm so glad you are OK. What a fright!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 9:34AM

@Justacommeman said:
    Our hotel was rocked. I was on the 38th floor thought I was going to be thrown out of the building. Walked down 38 flights of steps.

Last week this was watching off my deck.

And two days before that the flash flood at the Mexico City airport which I was in.

Remind me NOT to travel with Justacommeman. Geesh! :lol:

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I experienced 3 minor quakes...what a helpless feeling.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best earthquake I was in was in Japan in a hotel and we had a chu hi pyramid of empties they got knocked over

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a crazy earthquake to be in. Glad you're safe!

I've only been in small quakes and on the ground floor. Mine felt like the building was sliding back and forth on the ground.

• Options

This just in......swarm of locusts headed for Mexico City!!!
    Film at eleven!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 9:49AM

I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornados any day of the week.

Be safe Florida

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965 FT Lewis Wash.............thought the ground was going to
    open up and swallow everything.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Takes guts to be on the 38th floor of any building in Mexico.

Glad that you are safe.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Be safe Florida

At least you have a warning with the hurricanes these days. That is not always the case with an earthquake.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crikey, you've had an interesting week! Glad you came through safely.

Things are gonna start gettin' really interesting here in the coming day or two. My county is under mandatory evacuation now. We will bug out and flee inland on Saturday morning.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Be safe Florida

At least you have a warning with the hurricanes these days. That is not always the case with an earthquake.

Devasting earthquakes rarely happen and if your city is on rock (like San Diego) instead of sand you should be just fine.

Tornados happen every year in the same places ...ie Tornado Alley

Hurricanes are just going to get much strong with the warming of the oceans.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2017 11:53AM

@everyone

My early warning announcement

I will be at the Long Beach Show on Saturday. I'll be in Milan Sept 16 and back to Mexico City on Sept 20.- 28. I will be at the Mexico Coin Show on Sept 22 ( for real). Please plan accordingly and hide the woman and children now.

Sheet. Someone just told me we have a hurricane or two heading in Mexico's direction and one is aptly named Jose.

mark

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

You only have to worry about Hurricane Katia that is threatening to make landfall early Saturday in the state of Veracruz in Mexico. Jose should not be heading to Mexico.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't very good news. Safety first, people.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad you're ok.

• Options

@OPA said:

You only have to worry about Hurricane Katia that is threatening to make landfall early Saturday in the state of Veracruz in Mexico. Jose should not be heading to Mexico.

Russian women are even more dangerous

mark

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez Mark, did you changed your shorts after you got back to your room? That must have been a little hairy to say the least. Can you see Any damage in your area?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

MJ, glad to hear you are OK. I am happy the hotel was apparently up to code!

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 2:36PM

Hey Mark, you just went through a scale 8.1 Earthquake, as you now know by going through one, that is a pretty strong quake! I can only imagine what you were thinking as it was happening. Being born , raised and living in California for 53 years, I know all too well what they are like and it isn't much fun at all. The last one here that was close to the one you went through was a 7.9 located in Northridge Calif and I was about 50 miles from there and was asleep at the time it happened and thought that someone was moving the house while I was in bed lol I finally got my wits about what was happening and could do nothing but lay there and hope that the roof didn't cave in on me. Luckily, not much damage was done to our house but it put a crack in our underground pool.
    The cheerleaders are there for the first game of the season for the L.A. Rams & Oakland Raiders football game to promote the game to the people down there. Heck, if you see some big guys down there, stop them and ask them if they play football and get some autographs from them if they do and ask where other players are at to get them too. I'm sure you have heard that the NFL is trying to promote the games to other Countries so someday they might be able to play around the World someday.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:
    I was struck by the duration as you described it. That is the most frightening part since the longer it goes the more momentum builds. I was in the '64 Great Alaska quake (9.2) and it lasted long enough for me to be able to move from the kitchen table where I was doing homework to go to the other end of the house to get my baby sister out of her crib and then exit outside. As I walked through the narrow tile covered cement floored hallway I had to brace myself between the walls as the floor lifted itself 45 degrees rolling back and forth. As I walked back through the kitchen the china cabinet that had been situated right above where I had been sitting had dumped most of its china right where I had been with its broken pieces. Good thing I hadn't stayed there to "ride it out."

The living room immediately after the quake:

Exploring the downtown damage with my siblings. (I am the one whose hands you see hanging onto the edge of the crevice.)

You were about to be struck out of collar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file