Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

September pickups....

seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2017 11:05PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Lets see if i can post a pick.....I didn't realize how difficult this card was to find...centering is impossible, didnt know the true meaning of registration until this bad boy...ugh, ...then if once I found those two, the background color was usually commonly faded or a halo effect of a completely different color (due to fading etc) around his head in the close-up photo. Oh, and the corners are much sharper than the holder makes them appear-dull and rounded.

...here's another i just stare at...that does it for me where the previous one i just stared at was the centering of a Fisk RC I posted years ago.
(and im not concerned at all reg, the one coarse border--gives it character IMHO)

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• Options
    edited September 1, 2017 11:16PM

finally got this for the price before the run-up....didnt think id ever see this price again when i didnt pull the trigger and the price steadily climbed away from me.....now prices have declined to where i was comfortable buying..im thinking we're where the hobby is suppose to be and probably starts a slow steady climb...ill leave predictions to others ;)
    ..was just happy to get this at a price last seen around 2 yrs ago
    ..and again the holder makes the bottom two corners appear more rounded than they are.....enjoy!
    (and thanks to the one that convinced regarding the Johnny U.- I wanted to wait further..ugh)

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! You crushed it with the Unitas rookie. Outstanding looking card. Hard to find them with all those attributes you mentioned. Congrats!!!!

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Wow on the Unitas, I do like the top border. Color is outstanding!

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on those two items, very nice!

I picked up some nice modern items for my Dallas Cowboys collection:

A few new items I am considering crossing to PSA, any opinions if they would cross as 10's would be welcome -

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2017 6:05AM

Awesome United rookie Rob - the entire 57 FB set is a monster set and one that will turn out to be one in 5-10 years one that is much higher in value than it is today.

KC

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is it for me so far....

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna have to brush with Crust toothpaste if you eat much of that raw goo.

Love those wacky packs.LOL. I used to stick them on my school notebooks.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2017 10:39AM

thanks y'all...just love the aesthetics of that card....great to share with people who can appreciate such a card :)
    .... thanks JB, and KC -- means a lot to me
    .....Dand...yes, i really like the top border-gives character (and authenticity)
    ...chicks dig scars
    spin...nice!, still need that sticker and the Molitor/Trammell

..prg..Too many Cowboys already before wk 1...so ill see ur "how bout those cowboys" and raise u a major component of the Steel Curtain (modern do have nice shiny colors tho)
    ...one of those late-night purchases but def wanted..
    Guys..he's listed at 6'2" 220 lbs -- we could have been All Pro Linebackers back in the day!!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I added a couple more Jordan 5"x7" Nike Poster Cards to my collection. The 1st one is from 1983-85 the 2nd from 1990. Pics came from my Iphone and aren't the greatest.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Brock looks flawless!! Beautiful card!

• Options
    edited September 2, 2017 1:39PM

dpeck..awesome..why bust it out? those are some high grades

erik...those are so cool..i had no idea they existed..ugh...add them to the list...ha

• Options
    edited September 2, 2017 1:49PM

@seebelow said:

erik...those are so cool..i had no idea they existed..ugh...add them to the list...ha

I collect PSA. I am trying to upgrade my 9 of this version. There are three numbered versions. 50, 100, and 999. There are no PSA 10's so far of any.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seebelow said:

thanks,they were originally counter displays so customers could see what the posters looked like before buying them. There's like 40-50 different MJ poster cards but not many show up for sale. I think most stores probably threw them out after the posters were all gone.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@seebelow said:

I collect PSA. I am trying to upgrade my 9 of this version. There are three numbered versions. 50, 100, and 999. There are no PSA 10's so far of any.

i got the same problem..my entire collection is PSA except ONE card (modern card)...talk about a sore thumb....but id hate to lose the already high grade by cracking and resubbing...pretty much always lose in vegas anymore....let us know what grade u get....if thats not a 10 don't know what is...good luck!

• Options

I have submitted six examples of the various Lesnar versions and this is the nicest without any white on the corners. This baby better 10!

I still have a few BGS graded cards and a stack of SGC graded ones but they are never my first choice. When I saw this card listed I was thrilled because you could see from the scan it was in incredible condition and a perfect candidate for a crack and sub. I sold a PSA 9 for $2 less a year or so ago so it has an excellent risk reward ratio and nice upside in price but more importantly advancement of my collection. I have had better success cracking and crossing and at this price point return shipping charges matter as well. I plan to buy another membership and get the 15 card voucher and send in some other recent buys. I will definitely update upon completion.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2017 12:47PM

@seebelow said:
    ..prg..Too many Cowboys already before wk 1...so ill see ur "how bout those cowboys" and raise u a major component of the Steel Curtain (modern do have nice shiny colors tho)
    Guys..he's listed at 6'2" 220 lbs -- we could have been All Pro Linebackers back in the day!!

Have a lot of respect for fellow PSU alumnus Jack Ham, one of the all time great outside linebackers. Of course the Doomsday defense had a great outside linebacker as well, here's my copy of Chuck Howley's 1966 Philadelphia gum card. Howley was 6'3" 218 lbs by way of comparison.

This is probably my favorite Howley card (after the rookie) - love the Cowboy Joe logo:

Enjoy the back and forth with Steelers fans, there are a lot of them around where i live here in Pennsylvania.

• Options

Howley kind of looks like a beefed up Chris Mullin.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Had a busy month in August with 40+ 1986 Fleer PSA 10s purchased. Sorry for the small scans below, but here are my September pickups so far.

Holy mj sticker!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - some really great stuff guys!

Hate to singer any one out - so job well done.

Mike
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, congratulations on the Howley's, those are both so tough in high grade!

@prgsdw said:

@seebelow said:

Have a lot of respect for fellow PSU alumnus Jack Ham, one of the all time great outside linebackers. Of course the Doomsday defense had a great outside linebacker as well, here's my copy of Chuck Howley's 1966 Philadelphia gum card. Howley was 6'3" 218 lbs by way of comparison.

This is probably my favorite Howley card (after the rookie) - love the Cowboy Joe logo:

Enjoy the back and forth with Steelers fans, there are a lot of them around where i live here in Pennsylvania.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2017 5:59PM

prgs...Steve...sweet howleys!!...He's even got a bloody lip in the photo!!!....cowboy joe is it? thats interesting..and i love the throwbacks when they bring em back out....shoulder stars
    ...sounds like ur living in Paradise, i moved away from there...beautiful city

ok, sorry but i have to do it....see your outside lb with a middle lb..and around the same weightclass 6'4" #220!!!...I think we cans still suit up.
    ...got this one around 2 weeks ago but didnt post it so shud qualify, sorta,

Never thought id find this:
    1. its a POP 3
    2. Steeler collectors never sell back anything--memorabilia, cards etc
    3. hes the best middle linebacker EVER...haha i know i know.....i mean, i know
    4. wasn't searching but was notified they knocked 250 off to make it a solid 3 figure BIN..(i would have paid in full..shh)
    5. did i say, its a POP 3!!!...only need 2 more years to complete the run.
    6. talk about just staring at a card

• Options
    edited September 3, 2017 6:12PM

Stone....congrats!!!...i can't hit a 1 out of 10,000...Sweet pull, Ichiro's just amazing (already in the Japanese BaseballHOF)
    ...who retires first, him or Brady? 42 vs 40? MLB vs NFL?

• Options

That 1980 Jack Lambert is just beautiful!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I hit a good one!

I picked up from Topps Now - Set #4 of the 3000 Hit Club and pulled an Ichiro 1/1.

Wow! Sweet pull Mike!

• Options

@seebelow said:
    prgs...Steve...sweet howleys!!...He's even got a bloody lip in the photo!!!....cowboy joe is it? thats interesting..and i love the throwbacks when they bring em back out....shoulder stars

Thanks! Yes, love the picture on that one. I think it's great the NFL does the throw back jerseys.

@seebelow said:
    ok, sorry but i have to do it....see your outside lb with a middle lb..and around the same weightclass 6'4" #220!!!...

Very nice item! The 1980's are very tough. I remember opening those as a kid, it was the first year I remember opening football cards.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread as I got this a couple of months ago, but here's a 6'-1" 225 lbs middle linebacker who was pretty good in his own right - and a pop 2! Tried for over a year to negotiate with the seller till we could work out an agreeable price. I need one more (1973) to complete my Lee Roy Jordan run! This one also has the Cowboy Joe logo on it.

Jordan was NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1973 and Lambert was the Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1974.

• Options

Steve, that card is ridiculous! Man, I love looking at your Cowboys collection!

• Options

Geez Steve - that's an incredible card.

Mary and I are Dallas fans - so I have an extra appreciation.

Best of luck with the 73 card buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Thanx guys on the Ichiro.

When I first scanned the cards and saw I drew zilch, I was kind of bummed.

But, as said, I was reviewing them with my son who came over and I saw the 1/1! Now happy.

Mike
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Steve, that card is ridiculous! Man, I love looking at your Cowboys collection!

Thanks Abe for the kind words.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2017 1:43PM

@Stone193 said:
    Geez Steve - that's an incredible card.

Mary and I are Dallas fans - so I have an extra appreciation.

Best of luck with the 73 card buddy.

Thank you, glad to virtually meet some more Cowboys fans. Maybe this will finally be our year again! Congrats on the Ichiro 1/1!

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great cards being shared. Congrats to all !!

Here are some more Brady pick ups that arrived today.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my Hall of Fame players side project. Underrated hybrid back. Could do it all.

• Options

wow., that bart starr is about as perfect as it can get....id bump it

• Options

Holy Bart Starr...that is nice and crisp.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 Starr card! Sweet...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Do all of the copies of that Bart Starr have white snow in the bottom left and right corner of the pink shaded box? If not I could see that being the reason it didn't grade a 10. Absolutely beautiful card regardless

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2017 9:33AM

Since we started off with Unitas, we may as well continue with him. I picked this 1962 Unitas up today. The 8 percent Ebay bucks was a nice bonus. The black specks don't bother me as long as they're not on his face. It's a card I've been wanting for some time in a lower grade. PSA 8 in this card is very expensive.

• Options

Outstanding Starr. I would seriously consider review on that one.
    Really like those 62s, that Unitas presents very nicely, congrats!

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

theMick,,,great Johnny, great eye!

• Options
    pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 6:18PM

Brett Favre NFL Debut 1st Pass FULL Ticket

• Options

So much great stuff!

But Matt's Stan the Man Leaf caught my eye.

Superb buddy - what a great card.

Mike
  • Options

My PEP cereal thread is killed by photo bucket - maybe I'll start another?

Anyways - these are Kellogg's PEP cereal Babe Ruth rings from the early 50s.

I haven't picked up one of these in a year.

I started collecting them when I realized how many variations there would be - which makes me the most OCD guy at CU!

I now have 19 total with 5 "jade green" ring variations.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    So much great stuff!

But Matt's Stan the Man Leaf caught my eye.

Superb buddy - what a great card.

Thanks Mike I appreciate it! I really liked its eye appeal as well.

Matt
  • Options

I really liked these...

Matt
  • Options

some great looking 5's on here!!

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Liked this one and the 81 Topps traded and Fleer update versions are pretty goofy and I'm not interested. Needs a new holder. Wrinkled label is pretty awful. People forget he was a .220 hitting third baseman prior to Brigham Young

• Options

The wrinkled labels are very common unfortunately. May be era related as most of my wrinkled ones have similar cert #s.