Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade estimates on this Indian Quarter Eagle?

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy and sell a lot of these, and they are my main area of focus. With that said, I hardly ever send any in for grading unless they are toned, or pretty high grade. This one has amazing luster (that doesn't really show in these pictures) and really clean fields. The reverse has a small tick or two, but other than that, it looks clean! Any grade estimates? Worth sending in?

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice but so tough to tell from pictures, Could be AU up to MS62 i'd guess

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Looks nice but so tough to tell from pictures, Could be AU up to MS62 i'd guess

I usually try not to submit unless I think it could go 63 or higher. 62 and under don't bring enough premium to cover the grading costs.

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

If luster is like you say easy 63 nice coin great look even with your color flavor

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 12:55PM

Here are a few that show the luster better

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

MS63

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scratch from the "T" in "STATES," in the second set of pictures, limits it to MS-63.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The scratch from the "T" in "STATES," in the second set of pictures, limits it to MS-63.

I'm not sure I'm seeing which scratch you are talking about

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 6:29PM

@jwitten said:

@BillJones said:

Look at the bottom of the "T" and back toward the eagle's (short) right wing. That is a long and significant mark.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@jwitten said:

@BillJones said:

Look at the bottom of the "T" and back toward the eagle's (short) right wing. That is a long and significant mark.

Do you mean the T in United? I was looking at the T's in States.. lol. No wonder I couldn't see it :D

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it is 63 or higher to me. I'd send it in to help you "calibrate" your $2.5 eye. PCGS is pretty forgiving on $2.5 eagles as long as they have booming luster...from my experience.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice 62, shot 3

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63....on a good day, it could go 64.... nice coin.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a 63.

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

I would call it MS63.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 5:11PM

58 or 62

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second set of pics: Flatness on eagle's shoulder and Indian's headdress plume,...if no luster it's a 58. Otherwise a 62, no 63. The first set of pics show much more detail in the above mentioned points...63. Coin-nundrumn...indeed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file