Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Building a meaningful us coin collection for $8000-$10000

I have wanted a coin collection since I was a kid. I took Q. David Bowers advice and have been reading for the past year and not making any purchases. I have saved my money and I want to build a small meaningful collection. The budget is $8000-$10000 period!! I have other hobbies I enjoy so this just something small to enjoy.

Is this even doable? I don't want to complete a set of dimes or a complete type set. I just want a small meaningful collection.

I love Carson City so I have considered building a small CC collection. But I also appreciate early coinage. My favorite history is western history with an emphasis on the Rockies, Nevada, and the Sierra Nevadas so I've thought about building a collection around that.

Thoughts or advice? Coin suggestions?

Jason

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that the money is put aside, start reading....perhaps that will direct you to your ultimate goal.

good luck, and CC's are always sought after and prized.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 7:34PM

I love Carson City so I have considered building a small CC collection. But I also appreciate early coinage. My favorite history is western history with an emphasis on the Rockies, Nevada, and the Sierra Nevadas so I've thought about building a collection around that.

Jason

There are a tremendous number of Western Tokens out there from the mid-1800s - 1900 or so that would probably be collectable in that price range, although you'd have to do a ton of research on the subject to get your bearings. That being said, the finished product would be really interesting if you did it right.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you want a CC collection in that range it will be mainly silver and there are so many directions you could take that it's more of a personal preference.

I don't think anybody can answer your question but yourself. It sounds like.you have already done some reasearch so you must have an idea the direction you want to take.

So many possibility, Have fun and take your time.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

CC's have been a good choice for many. A strong holder of value and with a good chance to make money if bought smart and held for awhile.

Retail today, I sold three coins. A CC Trade Dollar and two MS graded CC Morgans.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

First of all, accolades for reading and thinking first!

Given an established budget, you can now consider what combination of grades, coin variety, scarcity, and quantities will fit the budget.

A seated type set would give you a variety of denominations (half dime through dollar) with several types of each denomination. You could get a decent selection of grades, mostly VF to lower MS within the budget. (Shooting from the hip here - I did not look up each type and price.)

Another route would be a single year mint set, with (lower grades) or without higher grades) gold. This will get you more denominations, more metals, and the year can be one you have interest in. The year selected can have a major impact on cost/grades.

Or you could go with a denomination type set such as dimes or quarters. The down side here is the early years can have coins that kill the budget in any grade.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Overdate's suggestion.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

My advice for what it is worth is to stay with Mint State coins with eye appeal!
    In addition to that do not be in a hurry and things just seem to come along when you least expect it to happen.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collection done.

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Reading your question I too thought of Western tokens with a 8-10K budget, The research would be the most rewarding part building that set.
    CC has also been an interest of mine and perhaps a type set of CC can be done although I never check out prices for a set.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is your intention to build the collection in a matter of weeks, months, years or decades?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Also, what do you mean by "meaningful"?

Andy Lustig

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you have a plan and that is a good start. Carson City type coins would be a great choice, but go with what ever your heart tells you. When you buy, buy smart don't buy cheap. When I say don't buy cheap, that means buy the best you can get for your money that you are willing to spend so you have a quality example that you will be happy with as long as you own it. For example I would rather have a great MS63 than a ho-hum ms64.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd echo the sentiments of Regulated and Bigal in that western tokens could be alot of fun and well within your budget. Imagine holding a saloon or mining co token from the Old West? Now imagine a whole display case full of them with notes/photos of the establishments and towns.
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of great suggestions above... and your idea for a set is good as well.... A number of years ago, I put together a complete set of CC Morgans... Of all my sets, that is the one that I enjoy the most.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I think my definition of "meaningful" would be coins that are tied to history or coins with stories.

For example, I could build the following set with meaningful coins tied to western history:

1873-s Half Dime - a victim of the crime of 1873
    1878-cc quarter half cancelled die - the end of small coinage minting in Carson City
    1878-cc Morgan Dollar - many ties to western mining interests
    1908-s Indian Head Penny - first cent minted in the west
    18xx? - something tied to the California gold rush
    1860-s - tied to the Pony Express years
    1869-s - tied to the completion of the transcontinental railroad
    1870-s - a famous year for the San Francisco mint
    18xx?-s $2.50 Liberty Head gold - the longest unchanged coin design
    Others?

Or I could build a "meaningful" set that covers the history of the U.S.

1787 Fugio Cent - No introduction needed on that one
    179x Coin
    1835 Capped Bust - The last year coins were made in a coin press by hand
    No idea what other coins to include?

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you are interested in the Rockies, a coin from the 1906 Denver Mint might be in order. (Or a Clark, Gruber & Co. $2.50 would take up a big part of your budget)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 11:00AM

You could build a type set in nice circulated grades. You could not do very much with the coins from 1790s and early 1800s, but you could acquire a lot of general types after that era. For example you could get one or two Seated Dimes (stars and legend types) and countue that with the rest of Seated designs (No Motto and With Motto). You could get most of the 20th century non-gold type coins, with the later ones in Mint State or Proof.

Gradually over time you could fill in more spots if your intrests and money support it. That's what I did from the 1960s to 2012 when I finally competed the set as defined by the NGC registry.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@ManifestDestiny said:
    I think my definition of "meaningful" would be coins that are tied to history or coins with stories.

For example, I could build the following set with meaningful coins tied to western history:

1873-s Half Dime - a victim of the crime of 1873
    1878-cc quarter half cancelled die - the end of small coinage minting in Carson City
    1878-cc Morgan Dollar - many ties to western mining interests
    1908-s Indian Head Penny - first cent minted in the west
    18xx? - something tied to the California gold rush
    1860-s - tied to the Pony Express years
    1869-s - tied to the completion of the transcontinental railroad
    1870-s - a famous year for the San Francisco mint
    18xx?-s $2.50 Liberty Head gold - the longest unchanged coin design
    Others?

Or I could build a "meaningful" set that covers the history of the U.S.

1787 Fugio Cent - No introduction needed on that one
    179x Coin
    1835 Capped Bust - The last year coins were made in a coin press by hand
    No idea what other coins to include?

Perfect. Pretend you're writing a book on some defined subject, e.g., "the numismatic history of the Wild West", and buy coins to illustrate the "book". You might even want to write some actual text and publish the collection as a Registry "showcase" collection. Best part is that when you're done you can start a completely new collection, if and whenever you feel like it.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

A 1921 well struck Peace should be considered. Key words, "well struck"
    Anyone can get a PCGS Peace '21 graded 64, the trick is to find the nice ones, fully struck. Worth the money in the long run.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about starting off with a circulated "denomination" set of CC coins, or a circulated CC year set for a year that had the largest number of coins? Nothing wrong with circulated coins in my opinion, it means they were actually used in commerce, probably in the west.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChangeInHistory said:
    I like Overdate's suggestion.

so do i

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if these fit your interests but you could do s complete AU-MS Buffalo set (album?) for $10K. Same for a Dansco 7070 Type set.
    How about the complete run of Morgan CC dollars?

How many coins do you want to have and how long do you anticipate taking to finish?

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

You sound like a box of 20 guy to me.

• Options

I have thought about the short set of CC Morgan dollars but it gets too repetitive for me. I also considered the 7070 type set but I don't like all of the US coin designs so I think I would struggle to buy coins I don't like. I wonder how other people address this issue? Or is it the sense of accomplishment of a complete set that overcomes the lack of excitement for some issues?

I really like the box of 20 concept but I would probably narrow it down to a box of 10 so I don't blow my budget.

I don't have a timeline to finish it, I want to buy the right coin when it comes along and I am willing to wait for that perfect coin. The only constraint I have is a set budget. I have other things I like to spend money on hobby wise so I am pretty set on the budget.

Jason

• Options

@ManifestDestiny said:

I really like the box of 20 concept but I would probably narrow it down to a box of 10 so I don't blow my budget.

In that case, I'd suggest a box of 9 or 18. B)

Andy Lustig

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to see pics!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 4:20AM

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is very doable - find something you like

go to coinfacts and look at pictures

old stuff / new stuff .....
    could do a very nice silver set of Franklins, Washington, Roosevelt, ....
    or Morgan CC set

it matters on how many coins you want and how much you are willing to pay on each

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ManifestDestiny

How is the journey?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@ManifestDestiny said:

I realize your post is two years old... but where can I find a storage box like that? I’ve had some kind of plastic page that holds slabs, but I found it would scuff the plastic over the obverse.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 9:38AM

My definition of meaningful may be different from most of you. Rarity and future value would not be the goal. I would help build a collection that my youngins would enjoy and always remember as part of their childhoods.

It will not matter if they decide to stick to the hobby or sell them to buy concert tickets when they grow up. At least they had fun while they were young. As you said, "I have wanted a coin collection since I was a kid."

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can build a nice set, but it will only be "meaningful" to you. Most collectors seem impressed with huge budgets and coins entombed in plastic with high grades and a green bean attached to the plastic.

You may want to find another way to collect, or you may be limited to only a handful of coins, especially if you are interested in CC coinage.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever consider Unique Major Error Coinage?

You could have a very nice set with all unique coins.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve said:

@MrEureka said:

@ManifestDestiny said:

I realize your post is two years old... but where can I find a storage box like that? I’ve had some kind of plastic page that holds slabs, but I found it would scuff the plastic over the obverse.

Check out lighthouse slab storage boxes. I use a few Volterra Trio ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Volterra-presentation-certified-holders/dp/B005VQS6M2

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

US 20th Century Type Set. You could build a nice set for $10,000.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the 7070 type is a good way for you to go. Dont like Ike dollars for example, dont include one. Collect the ones you like, wait for the right coin to come along, as you said.
    The 7070 gives you a variety of coinage to keep your set interesting. Do some toned, some not. Make it yours - it doesn't have to "fit" into any mold.
    I'm doing a 7070 and put the slabs in an Lighthouse album. I can see both sides of them and as a slab collector, the slabs have extra protection too.

Ebay listing picture (not mine)

I use pcgs registry to keep track of inventory, what I spent, when, where, etc.
    The trueviews allow me to see my set on my phone whenever and wherever I want. B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭

This group of Morgan CC Dollars just went for around $6,300 including buyers premium. This may give you a price reference if you decide on some CC coinage

Featured coins by date with grades are:

1878-CC $1 PCGS MS63PL

1879-CC $1 PCGS VF35 with "Capped Die" label notation

1880-CC $1 PCGS MS63 with CAC green sticker

1881-CC $1 PCGS MS65 with CAC green sticker

1882-CC $1 PCGS MS64 with CAC green sticker

1883-CC $1 PCGS MS65 with CAC green sticker

1884-CC $1 PCGS MS65 with CAC green sticker

1885-CC $1 PCGS MS65 with CAC green sticker

1889-CC $1 PCGS VF25

1890-CC $1 PCGS MS62

1891-CC $1 PCGS MS63

1892-CC $1 PCGS VF30

1893-CC $1 PCGS VF25

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Western tokens would seem to fit the bill, as others have observed but if you want to stick with real money, how about western national bank notes, by state, region, name, type, etc?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

I would go with western tokens. Tokens have so much history and are often inexpensive. If you are interested in research and writing, tokens offer lots of opportunities for that. In addition, there is a lot more variety in tokens compared to U.S. coins.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    edited August 10, 2019 8:20PM

@planetsteve said:

@MrEureka said:

@ManifestDestiny said:

I have the trays custom made by Abafil in Milan. (Minimum order 20 trays, last time I checked.)

The archival clamshell boxes come from Adorama. They're a perfect fit for two trays. They cost $20 or so when on sale, which seems to be always.

As far as I'm concerned, it's by far the best way to store a small collection of slabs.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ManifestDestiny said:
    I have wanted a coin collection since I was a kid. I took Q. David Bowers advice and have been reading for the past year and not making any purchases. I have saved my money and I want to build a small meaningful collection. The budget is $8000-$10000 period!! I have other hobbies I enjoy so this just something small to enjoy.

Is this even doable? I don't want to complete a set of dimes or a complete type set. I just want a small meaningful collection.

Jason

I see you have been on this board 2 1/2 years and the original post is two years old. I was going to offer some advice; but, wonder if you ever got started on your meaningful collection. If not, I do have some thoughts.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a short set (1941-1947) of Walkers in MS 66?

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you have already thought about this a lot. if you heart is telling you to to collect CC coins, then that will be meaningful to you. Maybe you could do a CC "Mint Set" of some particularly interesting year?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

That budget will put your collection in the top 1% of coin collections, I'd guess. Unless you're one of 5 or 10 guys, there will always be bigger and better collections, but that doesn't mean they're having more fun!

Just pick something that will be fun and hold your interest. Many series can be easily completed on that budget. It's just a matter of grade, quality, and availability.

Have fun.

I'd do Peace dollars, Buffalo nickels, Walkers, or Classic Commems, but that's just me.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2019 7:37PM

Here's a better idea:

I would build a mint state 63 or 64 Morgan Carson City set but would exclude the 1879, the 1889, and the 1893.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Unless you're one of 5 or 10 guys, there will always be bigger and better collections, but that doesn't mean they're having more fun!

+1 :star:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file