Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess I had a drunk buyer!

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Message from buyer:
what did u charge me for this coin 850 u over charged me bye 300 dollars I'm refusing this when I get it refund my money

My reply:
I must say that is a new one on me! I didn't charge you anything! You purchased it for the price I had it listed for. I will gladly refund your money if the coin is safely returned to me! I challenge you to find one any where near as nice for the price you are quoting. I also challenge you to find a dog in a PCGS holder at the same grade for the price you are quoting!

Best Regards,

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW......what a nut!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did he neg you yet?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2017 7:30PM

No but I think I smell a scam. Can he refuse the package? If so what happens? This is new territory for me!

Edit to add it is signature confirmation.

@Justacommeman said:
    Did he neg you yet?

m

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Can he refuse the package? If so what happens? This is new territory for me!

@Justacommeman said:
    Did he neg you yet?

m

Yes. He can write refuse on the package and drop it in a mailbox or give it to a clerk. It will be returned to you with no extra postage due.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a scam, or a bad case of buyers remorse. I hope its the latter.

He paid on a buy it now? and didn't know what he was doing. I doubt that.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

What happens if it doesn't make it back????

@BAJJERFAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Did he neg you yet?

m

Yes. He can write refuse on the package and drop it in a mailbox or give it to a clerk. It will be returned to you with no extra postage due.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The extra comments will almost always lead to a negative. Best to take it back without the digs and move on.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    What happens if it doesn't make it back????

@BAJJERFAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Did he neg you yet?

m

Then you file a claim if it was insured.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Did he neg you yet?

m

I believe once he signs for it and takes possession of it, it is his. He has to refuse delivery when presented to him for a signature. USPS will take care of returning to sender. Insurance is good for return trip if purchased.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

His ebay ID for those of who would like to block him?

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

IMO, Not enough challenges in your reply. You could have went with
    "Furthermore challenge"
    "Additionally challenge"
    "As well as challenge"
    "Likewise challenge"
    Maybe throw an "in like manner challenge"

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    His ebay ID for those of who would like to block him?

Yes, please.
    This person is a full-blown idiot.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    The extra comments will almost always lead to a negative. Best to take it back without the digs and move on.

I think eBay would pull the neg under the circumstances.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

How was it sent? Registered Mail can sometimes be recalled. Not sure about Insured.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2017 12:25AM

@CaptHenway said:
    How was it sent? Registered Mail can sometimes be recalled. Not sure about Insured.

From the USPS website:

"USPS Package Intercept® lets you redirect a domestic shipment that hasn’t been delivered or released for delivery. It’s available for packages, letters, and flats with a tracking or extra services barcode."

Also, to protect yourself from scammers who try to redirect a purchase by submitting a change of address with the post office, you can mark you packages with "Return Service Requested" to ensure they do not get forwarded and get returned to you. This method replaces the now obsolete "Do Not Forward" that many of us are familiar with.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

You shouldn't have charged him so much ! ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... either drunk or a scam... let us know how it works out.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I shipped the package with insurance which requires a signature. I will not out him until I see how this plays out. I believe the attempt to deliver should be today. Funny how it took him a couple of days to decide he paid too much in his way of thinking. Yes, the coin is well over priceguide but many of us know some coins are worth well over priceguide!

• Options

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Did he neg you yet?

m

I believe once he signs for it and takes possession of it, it is his. He has to refuse delivery when presented to him for a signature. USPS will take care of returning to sender. Insurance is good for return trip if purchased.

I believe that's what I said. Obviously you can't sign for a package and then refuse it. If your carrier scans it as delivered and leaves it in your mailbox, you can still refuse it.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

once you have accepted the shipment, it is considered delivered and accepted. and then it is the receivers business to contact the seller and make perhaps a deal. Otherwise contents could be tampered with.
    As long as it is in possession of the postal service, it can be returned. Sometimes there are fees to ship it back. usually paid for by the original sender. I.e. YOU. Most the time it is free.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Well, they have been selling for $400-$500 at auction, so he figured out he overpaid. Not sure why he didn't do a little research before he bought it?

-

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Well, they have been selling for $400-$500 at auction, so he figured out he overpaid. Not sure why he didn't do a little research before he bought it?

-

Yep, the last four 96-S PCGS VF25 examples at Heritage have sold for between $410 and $520 (which includes the juice). $850 is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money for that coin, but nonetheless the guy agreed to buy it at that price so the old adage applies: Caveat Emptor.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2017 9:20AM

The last one at heritage sold for $517 and is a Piece of Sh*t! I would sell him that coin for $500 if I owned it! Go take a look at it! The only other heritage sale was 5 years ago for $4?? and is also not a nice coin!

If anyone should know about how much the look of a Barber Half effects price it should be Barberfanatic!

ebay.com/itm/292199242742 Here's a link so your not looking at a washed out ebay screen grab picture!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    The last one at heritage sold for $517 and is a Piece of Sh*t! I would sell him that coin for $500 if I owned it! Go take a look at it! The only other heritage sale was 5 years ago for $4?? and is also not a nice coin!

If anyone should know about how much the look of a Barber Half effects price it should be Barberfanatic!

Your business model seems to be double the price and hope someone bites. Does it work? The coin below for instance, I just bought an 80-S 65 in a Rattler for $117 on eBay. You are asking double that in a new holder.

-

• Options
    edited August 16, 2017 9:29AM

LOL! I believe the coin is a 66. I have several 65's I'll sell for much less that were out of the same roll and in the same submission!

@Wabbit2313 said:

@amwldcoin said:

Your business model seems to be double the price and hope someone bites. Does it work? The coin below for instance, I just bought an 80-S 65 in a Rattler for $117 on eBay. You are asking double that in a new holder.

-

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one have learned something from this thread, put 'Return Service Requested' on my packages.

K

ANA LM
  • Options

I would wager 2 or 3 years ago the heritage coin would have been labeled cleaned! I don't recall commenting about your coins! Is that the reason for the seeming vendetta here?

@Wabbit2313 said:

@amwldcoin said:

Your coin is posted below and the Heritage coin is posted second. ($330 less in price) You have a tendency to call other coins pieces of poop, as I recall you doing that to me in the past. The Heritage coin in fact has more detail than yours. Liberty is also stronger.

Your Coin:

-

Heritage coin:

-

• Options

@YQQ said:
    once you have accepted the shipment, it is considered delivered and accepted. and then it is the receivers business to contact the seller and make perhaps a deal. Otherwise contents could be tampered with.
    As long as it is in possession of the postal service, it can be returned. Sometimes there are fees to ship it back. usually paid for by the original sender. I.e. YOU. Most the time it is free.

I asked at my local PO today. The window agent said that if you sign for it, write refuse on it and turn around and drop it in a mailbox or hand it back to the clerk that the USPS will probably return it as long as it hasn't been opened. TIFWIW.

• Options

We obviously have a different eye and different tastes in how a coin should look! I'll just leave it at that!

@Wabbit2313 said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I would wager 2 or 3 years ago the heritage coin would have been labeled cleaned! I don't recall commenting about your coins! Is that the reason for the seeming vendetta here?

No vendetta, but the fact remains, the guy paid too much for that coin, and by a country mile. He realized it later, but that does not change the fact that he got the shaft with that price. Your coin actually looks cleaned/polished, not the Heritage coin. Your comments back to him about how great your coin is compared to others is also not factual, as is easily seen above comparing yours to the last one sold at Heritage.

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

OP, if I may be so nosy, what is your profit margin in general?

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be a free market, that two people can do a transaction at any price they are comfortable with, however the reality is that contracts can be quite complicated and are based on both parties knowing what they are doing. If you have impaired people you are doing business with it is another story, I have plenty of people I interact with who have handicaps and you just have to try to be understanding and smarter next time. I only buy from dealers and I rely on their judgment as well as my own and research. Stuff happens, try to resolve problems without letting emotions mess up the situation.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the buyer sobered up, and acted rationally.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

what is the user id?
    I have a quality block list, I would like to raise the standard of.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with mustangmanbob. Judging by obverses and images only, the heritage coin above is the better coin, and indeed, less likely to be cleaned than the OP one being discussed. That said both are market acceptable (judging by the images.)

The buyer was certainly incorrect in his approach, if the goal was to be able to get their money back without fuss and issues. More flies with honey. In any case, any buyer can return an eBay purchase for almost any reason. I have had to do this a couple times, not due to buyer's remorse, but due to hidden damage not revealed in seller photos. Unlike roadrunner's nightmare purchases of the past, these days eBay is strongly weighted in favor of a buyer's whims. As a buyer usually, this gives me great confidence; however, on those rare occasions I sell something, I do have to grit my teeth and hope for the best.

• Options

Gross profit on ebay is 20-30% on average. Shipping,ebay,and paypal gets 10% of that.

@opportunity said:
    OP, if I may be so nosy, what is your profit margin in general?

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Yes, the coin is well over priceguide but many of us know some coins are worth well over price guide!

OK, that adds a new dimension.

• Options

As to people commenting on the price! Here are some numbers to think about.

In the past 5 years I have spent at least 1.25 million dollars on graded Barber Half's....most are F-AU.

I have sold over 1700 pieces in that time frame for over $700,000.00

This includes my collection as well as my current inventory.

I think that should speak for itself. Someone will buy this coin and appreciate it for what it is. I believe the coin is in the top 5 for the grade eye appeal wise. I'm in the Rick Snow camp with regards to some of the coins that are being graded these days.

Do you think I have seen many circ Barber half's?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MANOFCOINS said:
    Can't help stupid.

cant fix it either

• Options
    edited August 16, 2017 11:41AM

@amwldcoin said:
    I also challenge you to find a dog in a PCGS holder at the same grade for the price you are quoting!

To the OP, you said the above to your buyer.

Every single coin sold at auction in the last 5 years was at least $300 less than your price, so he can easily win your challenge. And the last coin sold at Heritage is superior at all levels, it is not a dog. So now that the buyer would be right, are you now wrong with your inflated price?

• Options

The thing is I totally disagree with your assessment of the Heritage coins. The other 3 sales were on ebay...no way of knowing if they were the same coin,what they looked like,etc! As I said we obviously have different taste in what a Barber Half should look like and different tastes for eye appeal. If you will look closely at the heritage coin you will see much busier surfaces scratch and mark wise than my coin.

@Wabbit2313 said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I also challenge you to find a dog in a PCGS holder at the same grade for the price you are quoting!

To the OP, you said the above to your buyer.

Every single coin sold at auction in the last 5 years was at least $300 less than your price, so he can easily win your challenge. And the last coin sold at Heritage is superior at all levels, it is not a dog. So now that the buyer would be right, are you now wrong with your inflated price?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file