Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The new $25 Dollar Palladium coin

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Honestly, if there was a proof tenth ounce palladium coin, I'd buy several.

A bullion one ounce coin...I'd only pay spot + 1% as a tradeable investment. I wouldn't pay a premium to store it for years.

I don't think they care what you'd be willing to pay. 1% over wouldn't even cover their costs to mint one. If people here don't like them, then don't buy one. There's a lot bigger customer base for mint products than this board.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

PdE ( PEE DEE EEE) is a solid acronym (or more technically accurate, an initialism).
    And I'm a buyer of at least one. I like palladium, and I like the design.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 6:32PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

A bullion one ounce coin...I'd only pay spot + 1% as a tradeable investment. I wouldn't pay a premium to store it for years.

I don't think they care what you'd be willing to pay. 1% over wouldn't even cover their costs to mint one. If people here don't like them, then don't buy one. There's a lot bigger customer base for mint products than this board.

You might consider what I, a dealer, would pay. In the end, if you need to sell, that's where you're going to end up. Canada 1 oz palladium currently SELLING at $948. so you need $100 increase in the price of palladium to break even. Now, if you just want to collect and don't care about getting your money back when you sell it, that's fine. Buy away.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

In general, ALL U.S. Mint bullion products are a questionable way to invest in precious metals because of the premiums. You need a significant price move (10% for the palladium eagle) just to break even. Look at what bid/ask spread is on silver eagles and what bid is on gold. wholesale price on gold eagles is about $25 over spot. Wholesale price on silver eagles is about $1 over spot. Retail price on gold eagles and silver eagles are well beyond that due to the premium.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

You might consider what I, a dealer, would pay. In the end, if you need to sell, that's where you're going to end up. Canada 1 oz palladium currently SELLING at $948. so you need $100 increase in the price of palladium to break even. Now, if you just want to collect and don't care about getting your money back when you sell it, that's fine. Buy away.

We could save a lot of trees that are used to print those glossy US Mint catalogs , all the mint would have to do is robocall everyone on the mailing list and instruct them to flush a $100 bill down the nearest toilet for every palladium or platinum coin they wish to buy.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

We could save a lot of trees that are used to print those glossy US Mint catalogs , all the mint would have to do is robocall everyone on the mailing list and instruct them to flush a $100 bill down the nearest toilet for every palladium or platinum coin they wish to buy.

Now you're wasting the paper from the $100 bill. LOL.

Don't get me wrong. If you want to spend $1050 for $920 worth of Palladium because you like the coin, or any Mint product, you go right ahead. It's your money and there are worse things to buy. But I think people should at least be aware of the associated costs and risks. Gold is far more popular and liquid than palladium and the wholesale premium on gold eagles has been shrinking all year making the spread between retail 2017 eagles and wholesale bigger.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2017 8:10PM

@RichieURich said:
    Not buying any because this palladium coin is a gift from the government to the one company mining palladium in the U. S.

The government doesn't guarantee that my business makes a profit, why should they do that for this company?

And you have proof that this is the reason why the Mint is producing them? Maybe your business should offer something that the Government wants or needs.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Of course you didn't say earlier that you were a dealer and talking about the aftermarket.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

In general, ALL U.S. Mint bullion products are a questionable way to invest in precious metals because of the premiums. You need a significant price move (10% for the palladium eagle) just to break even. Look at what bid/ask spread is on silver eagles and what bid is on gold. wholesale price on gold eagles is about $25 over spot. Wholesale price on silver eagles is about $1 over spot. Retail price on gold eagles and silver eagles are well beyond that due to the premium.

I don't pay "retail" for AGEs. If you look around you can find them at wholesale; spot + $20 - $25 plus you can get reward points from your CC. I'd like to know where PCGS gets their Daily Rare Coin Market report pricing. The email version that I got this morning shows AGEs at $10 over spot.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't pay "retail" for AGEs. If you look around you can find them at wholesale; spot + $20 - $25 plus you can get reward points from your CC. I'd like to know where PCGS gets their Daily Rare Coin Market report pricing. The email version that I got this morning shows AGEs at $10 over spot.

That is the issue which is why buying the bullion new is generally a mistake. Hence my spot+1% number

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 7:21AM

A mintage of 15,000 is posted on SDBullion's website. I cannot confirm this anywhere else though.

Is that a low enough number to entice more buyers?

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options

@SONOMOSCA said:
    A mintage of 15,000 is posted on SDBullion's website. I cannot confirm this anywhere else though.

No. (In my opinion.) Look at the mintages of proof platinum and even regular platinum eagles.

2014 eagles (business strike) = 16,900
    2016 eagles (business strike) = 20,000

Proof 1 oz eagles:
    2014 4,596
    2015 3,886
    2016 9,151

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 8:00AM

@SONOMOSCA said:

If it's a one year only item, then yes that would entice many. If they keep minting them over the years, then mintages may eventually come down further and make the first year at 15,000 almost irrelevant (similar to how the 2010 bullion 5 oz ATBs seemed low at 33,000 in the first year, only to have 2012 issues come in at much lower mintages...like Hawaii and Denali, each at 20,000).

• Options

It may do well because of it being the novelty of the first Pd coin produced. 15,000 is a fairly small number from which to recover all of the costs of designing and producing the thing. Also, IMO 15,000 is hardly enough to "GUARANTEE" a profit for the palladium miners. If it continues to be produced like the Canadian Pd Maple Leaf, then prices will likely moderate. If I could buy direct from the mint, I might buy one. I refuse to pay an AP's plus a dealer's markups.

Obviously not the most efficient way to invest [if that's your intention] in palladium, but until most PM folks either own or have access to a PM tester, eagles will likely continue to be the preferred most trusted way to buy bullion.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to see a solid source for the 15,000 number.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:

As a bullion coin, I'm not sure why there would necessarily be a striking limit.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:

As a bullion coin, I'm not sure why there would necessarily be a striking limit.

Due to supply of palladium?
    I imagine they were only able to acquire a set amount of planchets and they have to allocate between the proof and bullion.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:

Due to supply of palladium?
    I imagine they were only able to acquire a set amount of planchets and they have to allocate between the proof and bullion.

Perhaps. Or there is no official limit. That's how they usually treat bullion. And if they get tired of striking or run out of planchets, they just stop.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SONOMOSCA said:

Not me. Not at this price point.

There are less than 10K platinum collectors. I have a hard time believing there are 15K palladium collectors. True this is the first year issue, but I'm betting lower prices a couple years down the line...

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 11:17AM

^ 6.25%

Isn't US Mint authorized dealer silver bullion price about 2% ?

• Options
    edited September 20, 2017 11:26AM

@epcjimi1 said:
    ^ 6.25%

No, I think it's more than that. 2% on an eagle would be 35 cents. I think it's more like 5-10%.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    ^ 6.25%

Found this online. Not 100% sure it's accurate but it seems reasonable:

silver 1 oz. - $1.50 over spot gold 1 oz - add 3% over spot gold 1/2 oz - add 5% gold 1/4 oz - add 7% gold 1/10 oz - add 9% (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/what-do-dealers-pay-for-silver-eagles-from-the-mint.76512/)

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

This one is a tough call. If the mint put up 15,000 on their website, they would sell out in ten minutes. But because they are going the bullion route it makes this harder to get and harder to make money on.
    When they do the proof version next year it should be a fast sell-out.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's every man for himself , from here on out. I'm just furthering my post count, friends.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2017 2:17PM

@epcjimi1 said:
    ^ 6.25%

Here are the numbers per the US Mint:

Silver Eagles

United States Mint’s Authorized Purchasers are charged the price of silver plus $2.00 per coin premium.

Gold Eagles

Premiums are as follows:
    1 ounce: 3%
    1/2 ounce: 5%
    1/4 ounce: 7%
    1/10 ounce: 9%

Platinum Eagles

A 4% premium is charged for the 1 ounce coin.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/consumer-alerts/business-guidelines/authorized-purchaser-program

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    ^ 6.25%

>

No. it's $2 over spot.

• Options

MCM is pre selling, as are other dealers.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@epcjimi1 said:
    ^ 6.25%

>

No. it's $2 over spot.

The 6.25% is the announced palladium premium

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@epcjimi1 said:
    ^ 6.25%

>

No. it's $2 over spot.

The 6.25% is the announced palladium premium

He asked about silver, not Pd. The Mint's premium on ASEs is $2 and not 2%.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well here we go, tomorrow the Palladium goes on sale to the bullion dealers. I asked the mint when this coin was being sold, and this was the response...

"The United States Mint will begin the first time sales of the One Ounce American Eagle Palladium Coin to authorized purchasers on 9/25/2017. Unfortunately, we do not have a Palladium Coin available at this time. Palladium Coins are released as bullion coins only. The Palladium Bullion Coins are not available for purchase by the public. You will need to contact your local bullion dealer."

• Options

Yes they are sold to authorized dealers, just like the silver Eagles uncirculated and uncirculated gold eagles, non Online Mint versions.
    I pre-ordered mine from MCM and I see they have a roll and a NGC 69 left, all others sold out.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017 9:47PM

I been watching these sell like hot cakes. APMEX is almost sold out why is everybody buying these? There so expensive. Seems like the 69 grade cost almost as much as the 70's. Might as well buy a 69 sounds like there is almost NO difference between the both.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    I been watching these sell like hot cakes. APMEX is almost sold out why is everybody buying these? There so expensive. Seems like the 69 grade cost almost as much as the 70's. Might as well buy a 69 sounds like there is almost NO difference between the both.

Interesting that APMEX has 69s for both PCGS and NGC but only 70s for NGC. Why not 70s for PCGS?

• Options

MCM had the 70's from PCGS, but they sold out the quickest. I imagine the same thing happened at APMEX.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2017 6:18AM

@Zoins said:

@Gluggo said:

Interesting that APMEX has 69s for both PCGS and NGC but only 70s for NGC. Why not 70s for PCGS?

They had the first strike sold through 30 of them then they got another batch of about 10 and sold through them. All sold out as of this am Monday.

2017 1 oz Palladium American Eagle MS-70 PCGS (First Strike) Out of stock

https://www.apmex.com/product/152021/2017-1-oz-palladium-american-eagle-ms-70-pcgs-first-strike

Same with the NGC all sold out this am they had 3 last night. They went through 2 batches of stock just sellin like Hot Cake's!

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hmm, don’t think 40 coins is exactly hot cakes.

Only 14,960 to go.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2017 9:53AM

Apmex confirmed the 15,000 mintage limit and stated they are selling out of their inventory.

Sounds like this may be a winner

• Options

It's a winner for me as once in hand I believe I will be pleased.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    It's a winner for me as once in hand I believe I will be pleased.

For me also. Pre-order in on first availability. Not APMEX though.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I'll wait a week when the price of palladium is $600

I too was wishing for this to happen, but alas...

• Options

Even if "APMex" is sold out, we can't really know how many total have been ordered. 15,000 would be a HUGE mintage for these, IMHO. This coin will ultimately be scarce compared to most U.S. issues, but as proof platinum eagles prove, that doesn't mean they won't be $50 over spot next year.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Per APMEX as of 7:15 PM EDT...."Unfortunately, we only have 288 of this item in stock.
    Please call a Sales Account Manager at 800.375.9006 or email us at salesquestions@apmex.com if you wish to purchase a larger quantity than what we have available on our website. We can often locate additional quantities."

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Mind if I ask why not APMEX I thought they were a reputable place thus half my purchases were made there?

Is there something I need to know? I guess its a bit late since I been buying from them since about 2014.

Once I had a sales person talked bad about APMEX and I thought that was strange since he worked for MCM. I just assumed he was trying to steal my business. Not that I am a high roller I like MCM too.
    Thank you in advance

@Kudbegud said:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2017 5:47PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    What's wrong with new designs - why all this copy old designs?

In this case the special interest/greedy mine owner legislation specified the designs. Likely copied from illustrations in my book RAC 1916-1921, which is about the only place the reverse design was illustrated until recently. (Just a nagging suspicion...)

• Options

@Gluggo said:

Mind if I ask why not APMEX I thought they were a reputable place thus half my purchases were made there?

Is there something I need to know? I guess its a bit late since I been buying from them since about 2014.

Once I had a sales person talked bad about APMEX and I thought that was strange since he worked for MCM. I just assumed he was trying to steal my business. Not that I am a high roller I like MCM too.
    Thank you in advance

@Kudbegud said:

APMEX is a top notch bullion & coin dealer. In addition, they are also one of the US Mint's authorized bullion buyer. Their prices are slightly higher, but their c.s., shipping & range of products are above par. I would not be concerned about APMEX, but I'd be hesitant with some of their low ball competitors.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Apmex confirmed the 15,000 mintage limit and stated they are selling out of their inventory.
    Sounds like this may be a winner"

Possible mintage progression (if it following platinum) ....

Year 1: 15,000 - 20,000 - everyone excited for about 1 year or so. "Pump and dump" baby!!
    Year 2 or 3: 10,000 - folks pointing out how good these coins are now.
    Year 4 or 5: 8,000 - now newbies really getting excited about these. Many others upset again about the progression.
    Year 6 or 7: 5,000-7,000 - most folks not around anymore to even be excited about these low mintage coins, but some diehards like the possibilities for this year's mintage (and don't want to think about the prior years' coins). Prior years MS69 coins become mostly "scrap" at this point. MS70's have great potential if they were actually hard to make in the first place. Anyone think there will only be 1 or 2 MS70 of these 2017 Palladium coins as there were with 1997 first year platinum coins??

Could I be dead wrong - of course, But, total coins I bought today - 0. I may pick up some 70's if and when I get an order for some. Or, if and when Palladium spot goes down (if it does).

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2017 6:16PM

@Gluggo said:

Thank you in advance

@Kudbegud said:

They played games with the ATB 5oz coins and lied about it. Proof was by people here on this forum. Boxes had markings on the outside reflecting the grades of the slabs inside. The claims were proven by predicting what grades were contained before opening and the predictions were verified upon opening. When asked by Coin World about this the marking on the boxes were denied despite the evidence with photos shown in this forum.

• Options

Thank you Kudbegud I did not know but I am a newbie here but thanks I will remember that.

• Options

I am confused. Where is it posted that this is going to be a yearly issue? I see these being compared to the platinum "series"

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Gluggo said:

Thank you in advance

@Kudbegud said:

They played games with the ATB 5oz coins and lied about it. Proof was by people here on this forum. Boxes had markings on the outside reflecting the grades of the slabs inside. The claims were proven by predicting what grades were contained before opening and the predictions were verified upon opening. When asked by Coin World about this the marking on the boxes were denied despite the evidence with photos shown in this forum.

I was one of the recipients that received, less than desirable 68's graded PCGS from APMEX, but still made money on them when I sold them a year later. I've been using APMEX, along with several other major bullion dealers over the years, w/o ever having an issue that wasn't quickly resolved.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file