Home Precious Metals
Options

I will go out on a limb and predict that platinum will trade higher than gold at the end of the 2017

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 6, 2017 3:53PM in Precious Metals

What I won't predict is at what price level.

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

If gold's under $1100 I would have clicked on " :) Agree".

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one looooong limb. Gold has held relatively steady for most of the last 2 years, with only a 10% adjustment in either direction. I do not see that changing any time soon. Platinum's use is gradually being phased out. No need for it in electric cars and also being replaced with Palladium and or other exotic less expensive substitutes in combustion powered vehicles.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really, why do you think that? I will wager you an ounce of silver that it don't. Ok? On 12/31/17, I'll PM you my address.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I take the other side of this bet? Would you like to make this fun and wager a few ASE's? :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think that will happen.... there seems to be no commercial incentive to drive the price up (actually diminishing use) and it is not regarded as a currency such as silver and gold. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's possible, but who knows...

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    It's possible, but who knows...

All it would take is for the smoldering powder-keg called South Africa to erupt in flames. PGMs would fly. After 20+ years of ANC rule things are not noticeably better for most. Mines are re-trenching now because of costs and the crooks in charge of the government are monkeying with the black empowerment rules and percentages...

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoying your perspective mbogoman.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a limb.......how much you weigh?

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@ShadyDave said:
    Can I take the other side of this bet? Would you like to make this fun and wager a few ASE's? :)

Ok, how are we defining "The end of 2017"? 12/31? I'll take the bet For one ASE. :) why not.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glicker limbs tend to be a mile long and an inch in diameter

• Options

@BruceS said:

@ShadyDave said:

Ok, how are we defining "The end of 2017"? 12/31? I'll take the bet For one ASE. :) why not.

Sure, that sounds fun to me. If gold ask is higher than Platinum ask on APMEX at 4:00pm est on 12/31/17, I win an ASE from you. If Platinum ask is higher than gold ask on 12/31/17 at 4:00pm est on APMEX, you win an ASE from me. Sound good?

• Options

@ShadyDave said:

@BruceS said:

@ShadyDave said:

Sure, that sounds fun to me. If gold ask is higher than Platinum ask on APMEX at 4:00pm est on 12/31/17, I win an ASE from you. If Platinum ask is higher than gold ask on 12/31/17 at 4:00pm est on APMEX, you win an ASE from me.

I think You misunderstood me, I in no way thought gold would be lower. Did you read my post? I offered Glicker a bet that his OP would be wrong. I thought you were siding with him. Why would I bet against myself?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2017 7:46PM

Didn't you say you would take the other side of MY bet? That usually means your betting against me? Righ?. Im not much of a gambler but ......

eBay ID-bruceshort978
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not betting anyone but I also think the price of platinum will exceed gold by/before the end of the year.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 11:18PM

Interesting conversation.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought we had some action going on in here, ha!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

This morning,

Pt ~ $980
    Au ~ $1270

One gross to go.......

• Options

@BruceS said:
    Didn't you say you would take the other side of MY bet? That usually means your betting against me? Righ?. Im not much of a gambler but ......

Sorry, No. I was talking to glicker...wanted him to put his $$$ where his mouth is. "What we have here is a failure to communicate" :) So no big deal, bet was too good to be true anyway.

• Options

@ShadyDave said:

@BruceS said:

Sorry, No. I was talking to glicker...wanted him to put his $$$ where his mouth is. "What we have here is a failure to communicate" :) So no big deal, bet was too good to be true anyway.

And why would I go even up on a wager when the options market would offer significant odds on such a play?