Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Former NGC 66RD 1914-D goes PCGS 66+ and goes for $152k - no sticker

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the point here that ngc got this right or wrong?

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sold for $27k 18 mos ago. Look at the pics and decide for yourself. I have my opinions. Feel free to form your own.

Doug
  • Options

or that this coin sold for $27k last year

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2017 6:02PM

I would like to hear Mr. Red underwear's opinion on the coin, too bad Andy doesn't post here.

• Options

LOL. I'm sure you can bank on Stewart not buying it. That's a nice little cut behind the head there.

Doug
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2017 6:48PM

I'd rather have 100 certified examples with all the varied hues you could buy in lower grades for that six figure money. Grade madness at work.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be in the mid to low 66 camp, especially with the black spots on the reverse. At least that is the grade I would have received if I had submitted the coin.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would need to be seen in person, I suspect the actual color is not well represented in that image. That's why I will defer to the copper gods.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about money left on the table.....tsk, tsk.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think of what it would have realized if it stickered. Maybe it would have surpassed the $250k mark.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I like the 16-s next to it much better.

I was thinking the same exact same thing.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sir, I don't like it. I'm sorry but the hit in the field right behind Lincoln's neck, the hits on the rim above GO of GOD and the black spots on the reverse would limit this to a 65 65+ tops for me. I'm sure the luster is spectacular, but luster won't make my eye's not see those other issues. I know this coin is way beyond my means, but I know what I like and I know what I don't like. I don't see a sticker in this coins future.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2017 8:28PM

I wonder how many ATS 66RD coins can make 66+?

• Options

@CascadeChris said:
    Geez. If that got a 66+ my 09vdb MPL should have gone 69

I always thought PCGS was brutal to you. FWIW, I have seen inferior examples in full red holders.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Geez. If that got a 66+ my 09vdb MPL should have gone 69

Chris, you need a cigar and a bourbon in your hand when you make a statement like that. :D

• Options

I definitely feel the coin looks to be ms66 rd to me. ms66+ I dont see

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those whom the Gods would destroy they first make crazy.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this one didn't do it for me either. Someone is buying holders rather than coins here.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hit behind the head is as large as the lapel button hole, I see a 65 or even a 6 but not a plus. the carbon spots on the reverse are not really significant, IMO. I suppose at that price they become and issue, but folks that don't like that are likely not into copper.

Who cares what was paid for it, unless your bidding for it, I suppose it had under bidders. Lincoln cents are no Joke !!!

• Options

@Shamika said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    I like the 16-s next to it much better.

I was thinking the same exact same thing.

That one looked like the one to buy.

Doug
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this sell, and was thinking what possessed somebody to buy this at that level, has to be registry points. Ill take my pcgs 65 cac all day for a fraction that this one sold for.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the “Coin Facts" photos, it's better than the MS-66 that Heritage sold for $81,075 in February 2016, but it's not as nice as the "poster child" MS-66+ example that shown as the prime example on the “Coin Facts” site.

I can't relate to the price realized for this coin. I think that it's way too much money, but since it's tied for the finest graded, perhaps registry fever is behind this.

I can relate to getting driven up beyond reason in a major auction. I have seen or had it happen to me more times that I would care to remember. And yes, in this world, not having a CAC sticker does not seem to dampen the bidder enthusiasm. I wish it would because I would have been able to have filled my want list holes long ago.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Frankly, PCGS is going through a "loose phase" right now -- buyer beware.

Doug
  • Options

How about that NGC 1950 PR68UC that sold for $20k that was a piece of crap.

Doug
  • Options

Stewart, did you like the 16-S ?

Doug
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 9:20AM

In looking at the other MS66's Heritage has auctioned, this is of similar quality...with nearly all of them showing similar spotting. While I don't particular like any of those, that's Mr. Market talking. One of those NGC 66's has a couple of similar cuts, though on the reverse. MS66 is now the old MS65. I'd bet some of these coins were only MS64's back in 1988. As of Jan 1988 PCGS had graded single MS65 RD, none higher. By July 1989 there were 4 MS65 RD's and 1 MS66 RD.

In today's poker game, there is advantage to being the last one at the table to call or raise. Clearly something is not right when we go from $27K to $152K in 18 months. I wonder if the coin crossed first...or had to be cracked out? It didn't have a sticker as an NGC 66 either.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough details have been mentioned above.... I agree, the coin is well beyond it's real value and I would say the new owner is buried in it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that someone is going to have buyers remorse.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2017 9:46AM

Another indication of money flowing in the hobby.

• Options
    edited August 7, 2017 9:03PM

You could buy or at least have a good start on purchasing a cheap rental property for the difference the coin realized from when NGC graded it MS66 RD, and have a continual source of income in excess of $1,000 month. That's insane. What ever happened to buy the coin and not the holder?

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Don't care about sticker or no sticker, that hit behind Abe is too distracting for 6 figures!

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    That's insane. What ever happened to buy the coin and not the holder?

The reason we say buy the coin and not the holder is because some people will buy the holder ;)

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

I have 1909, s, vdb etc.. Lincolns nicer than this in MS65 holders pcgs.

So, it looks like (from other threads too) that certain dealers can upgrade any coin when they send in and individuals don't have the luck?

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) I know I'll never find out, but I'd like to know who submitted this coin.
    2) Color looks off, though it just could be the pic. The color looks almost pinkish, and that's not good for copper. Even if it's RD, as Stewart wrote, it's dull, My RD IHC in MS 65 has far more eye appeal than this coin (it's in an OGH). The only Lincoln I have in MS 66 RD is a 56 D, and eye appeal wise, it runs circles around this coin (I don't know if the two dates can be compared, but it's the only RD 6 Lincoln I have, and doesn't have any copper micro-spots).
    How can a dull coin - of any denomination - get into a 6 holder (I don't pay attention to pluses, I see them strictly as marketing tools)?
    3) What's going on to the viewer's lt. of O (of one) and the top of the N (of cent) on the reverse? Is this a toning break, or something else? I couldn't tell unless I saw the coin personally.
    4) The experts get it right most of the time, and often, buyers know what they are doing. I don't get overly concerned what other people pay for coins. I remember the infamous 53 S FBL MS 66 Franklin that was the finest known when purchased. I'm done here.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

The big question is why did PCGS grade
    this coin ms 66+ ??????

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing is for sure, it's nice to have money

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

When is it scheduled to hit the "Buy now from owner" box? ;)

• Options

I don't think people playing at that level have> @STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

The big question is why did PCGS grade
    this coin ms 66+ ??????

An interesting fact is that this coin was submitted all by itself, and not with any other coins -- a one coin submission.

Doug
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Looking at the “Coin Facts" photos, it's better than the MS-66 that Heritage sold for $81,075 in February 2016, but it's not as nice as the "poster child" MS-66+ example that shown as the prime example on the “Coin Facts” site.

I can't relate to the price realized for this coin. I think that it's way too much money, but since it's tied for the finest graded, perhaps registry fever is behind this.

I can relate to getting driven up beyond reason in a major auction. I have seen or had it happen to me more times that I would care to remember. And yes, in this world, not having a CAC sticker does not seem to dampen the bidder enthusiasm. I wish it would because I would have been able to have filled my want list holes long ago.

The "poster child" coin on Coin Facts is the same coin. The Trueview doesn't show the mark as much as the HA image.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    That's insane. What ever happened to buy the coin and not the holder?

The reason we say buy the coin and not the holder is because some people will buy the holder ;)

If the insert in the holder was a true reflection of the quality of the coin inside the holder, then one should be able to do just that. How stuff like this gets past 2 or 3 graders and a finalizer is a mystery. Should the new owner send it in for reconsideration and accept it back with a lower grade and a check or just hold it?

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it safe to assume the graders know they are giving a coin a "top pop 1" before it leaves the room?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:
    Is it safe to assume the graders know they are giving a coin a "top pop 1" before it leaves the room?

If they know anything about coins, they likely know the pops. Also if they've seen the coin umpteen times from prior submissions how much does previous memory affect current opinion?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file