Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should PCGS require Secure for all classic US coins?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2017 11:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given the discussion of counterfeits and AT / doctoring that can be solved with photos, I was thinking that classic world coins don't have this problem because PCGS requires Secure service for classic (non-modern) world coins so they all have TrueViews. Should PCGS do the same for US coins? Why or why not?

Should PCGS require Secure for all classic US coins?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Tagged:

Comments

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Secure photos for all coins is a good thing

Absolutely

• oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I get a gold coin secured as gold has bag marks and scratches that are like finger prints in my opinion. I have looked at many gold coins that are tough to find on Heritage. Several resurface years later and the bag marks and scratches will remain even though the coin may have been dipped in between appearances on the heritage site. It is also good to have them as if you have a coin stolen and you see it appear you can make a claim and the PCGS photographs will assist in getting it back along with a police report, assuming it as stolen.

I discussed the issue with PCGS and this is what they told me.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes so we have True Views and can tell how many crack out attempts it took to end up with such a lofty grade.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just up the grading services by $10 and TrueView everything.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, we don't need all US coins under Secure

No. We already have enough dictators in the coin world and hobby.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it undermines the whole service to not use it consistently

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't give em any hints! Cost enough as it is!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I have been disappointed with it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe the secure pics are the same as TrueView.

Can someone who knows for sure chime in on that?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it be a regular service they offer with a submission at no further cost.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I don't believe the secure pics are the same as TrueView.

Can someone who knows for sure chime in on that?

...PCGS SP started out with the sniffer/scanner approach and has evolved into "gold shield" label and TrueView. The TrueView that comes with SP is the same quality TrueView that costs $10 per coin on Standard subs. The SP scans of old have been dead for a while now.

• DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭

No. The cost goes up again.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but make it standard and not extra. Charge the extra 5 bucks for the Trueview (in addition to the secure features).

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

No. it should be up to the person sending coins in as to which level they want, and photos if they want.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I believe Secure Plus is a great service and certainly desirable, I do not like the idea of dictating it.... It should continue to be an option. Cheers, RickO

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 7:36AM

No - It is an added expense for me and am not into big ticket material over $500 unless slabbed Gold Bullion Coins / generic MS 63 - MS 64 Saints purchased near melt. Most of my submittal are economy. Grading expenses are costs which must be absorbed by the business / recovered via markup on sales. Considering current market conditions it takes cost plus about 40-50 pct make positive net income in coin business.

I believe people should have a choice.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 11:16PM

Good responses everyone.

Required Secure is head of non-required by 19 to 17 now. Given the importance of photos to combatting counterfeiting and doctoring, hopefully there can be a photo solution, either PCGS Secure or another solution to photographing all classic PCGS coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file