Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Auction Over: Pls share your opinions, for learning.

NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2017 5:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello,
Do any of you see any flaw in this coin? The bids are quiet low on this, maybe IGC is pulling it down?

I am thinking, it might cross over NGC or PCGS on the same grade... maybe I am wrong...
Please share your inputs...

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/483138/1798-Draped-Bust-Silver-Dollar-Large-Eagle-5-Stripes-ICG-AU-55

Numismatics & Photography
rv@ravenumismatics.com
Instagram.com/coin2photo

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numiven said:
    Hello,
    Do any of you see any flaw in this coin? The bids are quiet low on this, maybe IGC is pulling it down?

I am thinking, it might cross over NGC or PCGS on the same grade... maybe I am wrong...
    Please share your inputs...

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/483138/1798-Draped-Bust-Silver-Dollar-Large-Eagle-5-Stripes-ICG-AU-55

I don't see any obvious problems with the coin. It has some old cleaning under the toning (as virtually all do); however, while I would sell the coin as an AU, IMO it is slightly over-grade from a technical perspective. I prefer XF-45. I think the TPGS generally tend to put a grade on a coin that reflects what it should sell for in the market, thus this is a pleasing AU. Nice adjustment marks add interest.

If you purchase it, crack it out before sending it in and you MAY get a straight graded AU-50.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is the BB-92 die variety, and one of the die varieties that makes up the RedBook variety of "1798 Knob 9, 5 Lines." Without seeing the coin in person, the picture looks to me to show more wear on the obverse and less remaining luster on the obverse than I would expect for a PCGS AU-55 grade. That being said, its overall look does match quite a few NGC-graded AU-55's that I've seen over the years.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are a few scratches concealed by the hair.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the super blow-up picture (click on the lower right hand corner), I think that the reverse and perhaps the obverse have been rubbed with an abrastive. The tuning looks uneven for not good reason, expecially on the shield on the reverse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@TomB said:
    Yes.

That's very helpful - NOT! Guess you 5-star generals can be above it all at times.

@steveben said:
    there are a few scratches concealed by the hair.

They are called "adjustment marks." @TomB or I could explain it but it is probably better if you look that characteristic up on the Internet as you will probably retain it better for the next time.

You know what, they actually are scratches that were on the planchet.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2017 1:19PM

Wow... thanks..

It sounds like a good buy at this lower price its next bid is at $3.9k (with fees).
    At that price as long as it goes into a 45 pcgs or 50 NGC holder, might still be a decent deal.

I am afraid, it would turn up some details grade...
    Anything that says it would fall in the details grade?

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I initially wrote an answer because I thought the auction had closed and then realized it was still live, so I changed my answer to give my opinion in a manner that might not affect the sale.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Looking at the super blow-up picture (click on the lower right hand corner), I think that the reverse and perhaps the obverse have been rubbed with an abrastive. The tuning looks uneven for not good reason, expecially on the shield on the reverse.

I agree but would still be happy to have it in my collection.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 2:05PM

Biting my Lip as Tom Suggested!

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Biting my Lip as Tom Suggested!

Maybe the consignor is a Forum member o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's appropriate to solicit opinions on a coin that is currently up for sale/auction. If I were the consignor (I'm not) I would not be pleased. Maybe p.m. members individually if you want input.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2017 5:38PM

@TomB said:
    I initially wrote an answer because I thought the auction had closed and then realized it was still live, so I changed my answer to give my opinion in a manner that might not affect the sale.

The fact that you posted YES is exactly what you wrote you did not wish to do. A Yes or No post will affect the sale.

No everyone, please explain something to me: What is wrong with posting an answer to the OP's question?

I'm at a coin show and see a coin I like. The dealer lets me take the coin to show someone. Rather than go to another dealer, I run it over to the ANACS or ICG table and speak with a grader. He tells me the coin is plugged. I don't buy it.

Here's one. I see a coin in a Heritage auction. I post a photo for opinions. Everyone here likes it.

How about this. A Bust dollar is in an Ebay auction. I need reassurance since I'm like most collectors and don't have a clue! Please help.

I may be the only Troll around here but I see nothing wrong with commenting on anything (can't you tell?). As with all opinions, they need to be weighed. We can learn from the opinions of others. So, let's have more please so they can be confirmed or trashed as best we can using an image.

PS That coin is in a TPGS slab. It deserves to be picked apart if there are problems with it. So post 'em. I'll do the same for any coin in any slab no matter who owns it! I call in grading.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    I don't think it's appropriate to solicit opinions on a coin that is currently up for sale/auction. If I were the consignor (I'm not) I would not be pleased. Maybe p.m. members individually if you want input.

Yep

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Based on the opinions of others here who I have grown to respect, it looks like I need to learn some numismatic manners. I do see your point, buyer beware but shouldn't we try to be helpful? :(

I'm going to poll the forum if I can figure out how. That should knock the servers off line.

• Options

Just like we ask opinions on coins for sale at ebay, dealer, heritage etc. I solicited opinions. I though, i would pick the most knowledgeable numismatic brains here who i respect... a lot before spending several thousands... :D

I will PM henceforth...

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options

@Numiven said: "Just like we ask opinions on coins for sale at ebay, dealer, heritage etc. I solicited opinions. I though, i would pick the most knowledgeable numismatic brains here who i respect... a lot before spending several thousands... :D I will PM henceforth..."

well I agree, this is the place where the real brains are. Glad you posted as I may learn something also from the brain trust.

PS New discussion just started on this subject.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 6:10PM

The coin can be out to the winning bidder for up to 1-2 weeks after the sale (7 days to pay for it). It can take 3 days to process it for return. Then you're looking at a potential 2nd auction 3-5 weeks after the first one. In either case for those who don't want to step on toes, waiting a month to see if the coin shows up again (or not) is the only way to be sure it is no longer being offered for sale. Personally, I feel a coin should be able to stand on its own feet...regardless if it is being offered for sale....my coins included.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion from the pictures the surfaces are off. I would suspect PCGS would say altered surfaces and be a 50 at best...more than likely a 45 if they silently net graded the coin.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree re the comment about not commenting on a coin currently being auctioned.

One comment I'll make about AU Heraldic Eagle Bust $s in general, (and I've seen lots of them) is that if you're looking at an AU coin, you need to see some original mint luster. That said, I've seen some first world, slabbed, AU 50s without any. Perhaps these coins reflected market values of said coins at the time they were graded.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

My post reflected my belief that evaluating surface conditions from photographs is highly subjective.
    Auctions involve a certain amount of risk when bidding based just on images. The coin itself may be better, worse, or the same as depicted. When someone posts asking for opinions, we of course want to be helpful, but in the context of an active auction/sale our subjective opinions may help/harm either buyer or seller. So I will stay mute (as if my opinion is worth much anyway, LOL).
    It's analogous to people calling me with a group of symptoms and asking me to diagnose them over the phone. Sorry, I need to see you in person to do a proper evaluation. _

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 9:15PM

Even if it gets into a PCGS/NGC AU50, the buyer did very well.

I am concerned abut the adjustment marks, and whether there are some scratches or tooling also on the obverse.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is certainly an issue that has sharply divided opinions. If someone were buying a car or a house and asked for an opinion, would you help? Should one be ashamed of one's expertise and hide it? "Sorry, cannot help you, after you throw away your money, I will be happy to tell you why you are a loser." Yes, advice on a forum could also mean that someone else would then out bid the questioner....a very real possibility. That being said, at least the individual gained knowledge from the advice. As far as the seller, once the item is up for sale, it is open to public review...good or bad. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 31, 2017 9:54AM

@kaz said:
    My post reflected my belief that evaluating surface conditions from photographs is highly subjective.
    Auctions involve a certain amount of risk when bidding based just on images. The coin itself may be better, worse, or the same as depicted. When someone posts asking for opinions, we of course want to be helpful, but in the context of an active auction/sale our subjective opinions may help/harm either buyer or seller. So I will stay mute (as if my opinion is worth much anyway, LOL).
    It's analogous to people calling me with a group of symptoms and asking me to diagnose them over the phone. Sorry, I need to see you in person to do a proper evaluation. _

I disagree in part. If I were dealing with a very up-to-date, knowledgeable physician, I could give him/her enough info about my problem that he/she would know 90% of the time what was going on. Agree? And you are possibly better than that or at least the equal of an on-line computer MD.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file