Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there any US mint coins with honey bees on them ?

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started keeping bees this year and that got me wondering.

And while we're at it does anybody else keep honeybees

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep them away as much as possible...LOL. But we need them and I like honey.

As to your question, I cannot think of any but they are on tokens and foreign coins. There are also some beautiful ancient coins with bees but I would have to look up what city state (?) they came from. Why not do a google search...Bees on coins. LOL. Let us know what you find.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2017 4:17PM

Not that I know of.

Mormon $5 has a beehive but no bees. There are CWT's with bees. US Mint - anyone??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think there are is coins with bees on them I do know of some foreign coins that have them

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen many bees knees coins here.
    Lance.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2017 9:19PM

No, but here is an Italian medal.

I have been helping my friend harvest honey sense I was 11 years old. We also captured countless swarms to start new hives.

The bee population has been declining at alarming rates for years. And they still don't have a definitive answer as to why. Ok, rant over.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a 10 Centesimi coin, not a medal.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    That is a 10 Centesimi coin, not a medal.

They would make for a nice MS collection. The reverse is relatively high relief for a coin.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 7:07AM

If one lobbies hard enough we will get a bee coin.

We finally got a wild turkey coin.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't think all those whatever you want to call them around the hive are not supposed to be bees??? They are in my book! ;)

@Lakesammman said:
    Not that I know of.

Mormon $5 has a beehive but no bees. There are CWT's with bees. US Mint - anyone??

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. But there is a Mormon territorial with a bee hive (and maybe some dings that could be called bees). With all the flowers and foliage on commemoratives, are there bees hiding among the fronds, bracts, and petals?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 11:20AM

There are a number of Civil War tokens that have bees and a beehive on them. Here is one by one of my favorite Civil War era die makers, John Marr.

In the 19th century beehives were symbolic of work and productivity.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a couple of foreign coins with bees.... no U.S. coins that I know of.... Would be a good design though... without the bees, we would be very hungry..... Cheers, RickO

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I keep them away as much as possible...LOL. But we need them and I like honey.

As to your question, I cannot think of any but they are on tokens and foreign coins. There are also some beautiful ancient coins with bees but I would have to look up what city state (?) they came from.

Ephesus.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Not that I know of.

The beehive is a Mormon symbol. (And the Utah state symbol.) The original territory of Utah was originally named Deseret, or "Land of the Honeybees", but the state was eventually named Utah.

Brigham Young may have adopted the symbol from Freemasonry.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin, but worth some "coin" since they are now obsolete;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    I started keeping bees this year and that got me wondering.

And while we're at it does anybody else keep honeybees

I started this spring. It has been fun so far! PM sent!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file