Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where is the unopened market heading, Up 20% or Down 20%?

13»

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    As my Dad would say. "Buy quality desirable land, the Good Lord isn't making anymore of it". The same holds true with unopened. By quality, desirable unopened and it will go up in value. Its a simple philosophy.

Just met with my accountant and told him I liked the letter his company sent, one thing they mentioned was this:

TAX RATE CAPITAL GAIN
    Lower tax rates for dividend and capital gain income have been made permanent. For some taxpayers
    the capital gain rate could be zero.

So I told him its nice that I'll have a low or zero capital gain rate because I made a lot of profit selling
    Mahomes rookies in 2020. He said my rate is 28% because they're a collectible.
    I said then why did your letter say that for some taxpayers the capital gain rate could be zero. He said that's land. :'(

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin - yeah that's the other thing philosophy wise. You live, you die and pay taxes. Its not easy thats for sure. :D

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

gonna settle this debate for the crisser for once and for all...

i guarantee that the unopened market in the next 100 years will go:

way up
    down a tad
    back up
    stall
    down a bit
    up just a little
    way back up
    worthless.
    wars fought for it simply for its amazing kindling properties.

i will check back in feb 5th, 2121 to say i told you so, if we have power.

• Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

My two cents: vintage unopened product will never decrease in value; with ever rip the supply continually decreases. Demand jumped from niche to mainstream many years ago and has never turned back.

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

How many times has unopened gone up 20% since the first post? I don’t think criss could press a barbell that many times.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2021 1:52PM

Wow.
    https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=80768

Even bigger WOW.
    https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=80740
    So I guess as close to FASC making a full box 80,000.00
    Glad I picked one up for 1000.00 when I did

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newbie here. Just starting out so very late to the game at the age of 59 but you guys hit a cord with me.

I have started to accumulate basketball but mostly baseball 2021 Topps, Dunross and Panini unopened boxes, packs and hangers.

I started out helping a friend get some unopened packs and boxes for their kids birthday and quickly found out how hard it is to find them due to flippers being overly aggressive and buying up the basketball and football to resell quickly.

I started to think I would just save the unopened packages and put them away in my closet.

My question is do I have enough time left on this earth for the 2021 to become valuable in 5 years or are we talking decades? Are you guys saving the 2021 packs or are you just buying and saving the 1970's and 1980's packs?

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Newbie here. Just starting out so very late to the game at the age of 59 but you guys hit a cord with me.
    I have started to accumulate basketball but mostly baseball 2021 Topps, Dunross and Panini unopened boxes, packs and hangers.
    My question is do I have enough time left on this earth for the 2021 to become valuable in 5 years or are we talking decades? Are you guys saving the 2021 packs or are you just buying and saving the 1970's and 1980's packs?

Welcome! The value in 5 years will almost entirely depend upon how good the rookie class of 2021 is, so it’s a very hard question to predict now. If I were in your shoes I would pick 2 rookie classes that show decent deep promise and are relatively newer to hold for five years like 2015 and 2017 in basketball. I’d also go high on the product spectrum like Prizm or Immaculate in basketball (and if someone is actually selling you “Dunross” boxes look out you are getting taken advantage of being new).

Good luck!

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Welcome! The value in 5 years will almost entirely depend upon how good the rookie class of 2021 is, so it’s a very hard question to predict now. If I were in your shoes I would pick 2 rookie classes that show decent deep promise and are relatively newer to hold for five years like 2015 and 2017 in basketball. I’d also go high on the product spectrum like Prizm or Immaculate in basketball (and if someone is actually selling you “Dunross” boxes look out you are getting taken advantage of being new).

Good luck!

🤣😂. Sorry for the typo! Thank you for the feedback and the suggestions!

For the record I am buying my boxes and packs from Target. Is it true that Hobby boxes are better than Retail boxes or has that changed over the years?

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

See also: 1981 topps baseball.
    The only vending fasc I can find is $800/box. Wax and cello boxes are up HUGE too.
    I bought a sealed vending case last November; I’ve yet to see any other cases come up since. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    See also: 1981 topps baseball.
    The only vending fasc I can find is $800/box. Wax and cello boxes are up HUGE too.
    I bought a sealed vending case last November; I’ve yet to see any other cases come up since. 🤷‍♂️

81 vending boxes FASC sell for about $400. A few have sold on ebay over past month.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1981+topps+baseball+vending+box+bbce&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=11713&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@rtimmer said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Good luck!

For the record I am buying my boxes and packs from Target. Is it true that Hobby boxes are better than Retail boxes or has that changed over the years?

Yes hobby boxes are better or at least more valuable than retail boxes. Since 1996 Topps chrome basketball was released that has always been the case which is the first hobby vs. retail issue I’m aware of.

1981 Topps baseball unopened wax boxes were $260 in July of 2017 when this thread started and hit $1,500 in the last month. And that almost 600% performance is for the worst rookie class of the 1980’s.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2021 10:18PM

@rtimmer said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@rtimmer said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Good luck!

Yes hobby boxes are better or at least more valuable than retail boxes. Since 1996 Topps chrome basketball was released that has always been the case which is the first hobby vs. retail issue I’m aware of.

1981 Topps baseball unopened wax boxes were $260 in July of 2017 when this thread started and hit $1,500 in the last month. And that almost 600% performance is for the worst rookie class of the 1980’s.

i think this used to be true. however, id say that since 2018 just as many big hits overall have started to be found back in retail. even certain products, ie 2018 topps chrome update, were retail only. and that was one of the best baseball releases in a long, long time.

the vast lines at target would echo these sentiments. rtimmer isnt wrong about hobby being king however, i think the manufacturers started to wise up and the tide has definitely shifted back towards retail. especially w the prices that tend to be associated w hobby boxes.

however, i would not be going big on 2021 prizm basketball or 2021 topps update at all. imo, thats a flip immediately situation. if youre wanting to put away wax and for similar prices, youre prolly best off doing a lil homework and go w some ‘87 product. then once comfy, going further back from there.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15, guess I need to expand my search parameters! LOL.