Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin half thoughts on a grade

cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2017 7:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think the hit on the cheek would preclude a 66 or higher grade?

Many happy BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 7:46PM

It should but you never know. The strike is pretty weak so that's also adding to the 65 ceiling. I recall a MS66 Barber half from 2008 that was pop 2 at that time....it had a small gash at the end of the mouth....a tad smaller than on this Franklin. Great eye appeal and original toning/blast. I thought it was over-graded because of that hit. The owner had bought it raw as MS63! It CAC'd as a PCGS 66. It was upgraded to PCGS MS66+ and then MS67 in the past year. So you just never know. It seems the TPG's are starting to be less harsh on such focal point hits.

If this coin can get a CAC sticker as is....then it might have a shot to go higher. If I owned it, I don't think I'd ever consider trying to upgrade it.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

rr check your inbox.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at it a different way, that coin is one hit away from a wow coin. :)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2017 8:50PM

@cheezhed said:
    rr check your inbox.

Ouch. Moustache variety?

That MS65 1875-cc 20c got hammered by the forum for having a couple tiny ticks on the coin. Wonder what the same crowd would think of this Fish Hooked Franky?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins with marks right on the face are difficult to grade. Nice coin at arm's length but when ya take a glass to it, ouch!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a gorgeous Franklin, grade is secondary.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think it will grade 66...that hit is in a focal area, plus a fairly weak strike makes it look 'washed out'...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'll post grade later tonight.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hit should preclude a MS66 grade; however, grade inflation has hit this series with a vengeance. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Looking at it a different way, that coin is one hit away from a wow coin. :)

I'll try to remember this line the next time I try to market a coin with issues. :D

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very weak strike. Nasty hit on the cheek. MS64.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2017 9:49AM

@mannie gray said:

Is price secondary too? Would you pay solid to strong 66 money for it (ie $240)? I agree, it's above average on eye appeal though a bit mottled on the obverse. The mouth will always remind you of "what if." I think it would have graded PCGS MS64 back in 1988.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

By the current standards that is MS66. As Cameonut2011 says, gradeflation has really messed up the Franklins.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 10:57AM

It would not sprise me if it is MS66+ and that is in fact an above average strike for a 52-S

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience has been that the professional grading of the Franklin Half Dollars is all over the map. I've seen pieces with marks like this get into high grade holders, but that mark is in a bad place. It is more than likelly that this is a mint set coin. My grade would be MS-65 because of that mark, and that is only because there are no other marks anywhere else. If it had more issues I'd be down to MS-64.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is not a 66, and the "hit" is only one factor. I am not an expert on the series and do not know if the 52-S always comes this mushy, but it does give me pause beyond the hit

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I would guess 65 but Franklin grading seems to be all over. From what I remember the San Fran Franklins tend to be mushy.

• Options

@georgiacop50 said:
    It would not sprise me if it is MS66+ and that is in fact an above average strike for a 52-S

I agree, for today's standards at least, but watch us all be wrong and PCGS puts this in a 67 slab. :'(:D

I'm glad I don't collect Franklins anymore.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

No thanks on that franklin, that hit would bother me too much

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:

@mannie gray said:

Is price secondary too? Would you pay solid to strong 66 money for it (ie $240)? I agree, it's above average on eye appeal though a bit mottled on the obverse. The mouth will always remind you of "what if." I think it would have graded PCGS MS64 back in 1988.

I'm not quite sure what I would offer on the coin, but the mark doesn't bother me at all.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority about that but everyone has their ideas.
    I am not that much of a "strike guy" either, so I may be stuck out in the lunatic fringe.

• Options

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG! I don't know what to say...

• Options
    edited July 22, 2017 7:05AM

Franky's sure have changed since the old days. Who knew back then (1988) that the real money and leverage was going to be made with coins with "issues" that up to that time were heavily discounted? Only $1,000 or so via Ebay and this 52-s can be yours (pop of 18, 4 in 67+). While an MS66 grade on this wouldn't have surprised me (I wouldn't have been a buyer)....the MS67 grade did.

This will draw a lot of similar MS66/67 Franklins back to the TPG's so they too can keep up. Imagine people with fresh 20-25 yr old MS65's and 66's just selling them back into the market place based on the assigned grades. Ouch.
    Was this coin ever worth $1,000 as a MS66? It was pop 12 in MS66 back in June 1989....none higher.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidders did not believe it was a 67 but still sold for more than I think it is worth. https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1252-4444.s

• Options
    edited July 22, 2017 2:35PM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Bidders did not believe it was a 67 but still sold for more than I think it is worth. https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1252-4444.s

If you look at that Heritage photo enlarged, there are other about a half dozen hits and slices on Franklin. A few heavy grazes in the field. The reverse has a nice slice across the bell lines. I'm thinking a facial hit of that size would keep any Morgan dollar out of MS67 territory. Why would a lighter, smaller Franklin get a pass?

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Franklin/Grades

If you check PCGS photograde it doesn't match up to the MS67. It has features of the 64/65/66 photos. Though the 67+ "toner" example pictured on Coin Facts have quite a few facial slices. Tough to find Franklins that are mark free, decently struck, and attractive.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/franklin-half-dollars/1952-s-50c-ms66-pcgs-cac-pcgs-population-360-20-ngc-census-311-15-cdn-150-whsle-bid-for-problem-free-ngc-pcgs/a/131708-25226.s?hdnJumpToLot=1x=0&y=0

This CAC MS66 is very choppy. Then again, it's only a $150 coin.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1241-4243.s

This CAC MS67 has the same bigger hits as the OP's coin....but they are much better hidden (lower jacket), or on the reverse (lower far bell). Maybe these marks are the new normal.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@georgiacop50 said:

I agree, for today's standards at least, but watch us all be wrong and PCGS puts this in a 67 slab. :'(:D

I'm glad I don't collect Franklins anymore.

@cheezhed said:

Holy cow! My half serious comment proved to be correct. No wonder the prices have dropped for this series...

• Options

On the other hand, to play devil's advocate, could this be some sort of planchet flaw that didn't come out during the striking process?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a huge gift!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a surprise.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:
    By the current standards that is MS66. As Cameonut2011 says, gradeflation has really messed up the Franklins.

By the old standards that is MS65 all day long, even giving it the benefit of the doubt on luster, eye appeal, etc. And "old" was not that long ago.

It is really depressing that I have several hundred PCGS Franklins that were all slabbed about 20 years ago or longer. At a loss what to do, or in denial that they all have to be regraded.

Cheezhed- good set up and presentation on this one. Hope PCGS is watching.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2017 7:12PM

Ronyahski, you could take the first step and just send the best ones to CAC and see how many go gold. If you have no intentions of keeping them that much longer, a Ronyahski Franklin Collection at GC could garner some interest....all fresh old holdered coins. The MS65's of 1998 are now the 66's/67's of today.

• Options

@Ronyahski said:

@georgiacop50 said:

By the old standards that is MS65 all day long, even giving it the benefit of the doubt on luster, eye appeal, etc. And "old" was not that long ago.

It is really depressing that I have several hundred PCGS Franklins that were all slabbed about 20 years ago or longer. At a loss what to do, or in denial that they all have to be regraded.

You are leaving money on the table if you sell them as is when it comes time to liquidate. I would submit them all under the regrade tier and then submit them to CAC.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

MS 67...there are no words....

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Ronyahski said:

@georgiacop50 said:

You are leaving money on the table if you sell them as is when it comes time to liquidate. I would submit them all under the regrade tier and then submit them to CAC.

That is about $14,000 in grading fees. It shouldn't be.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

Gold beans leave no money on the table....at least in 95% of the time.

• Options

@Ronyahski said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Ronyahski said:

@georgiacop50 said:

That is about $14,000 in grading fees. It shouldn't be.

Check out Harry Laibstan. He offers discount bulk PCGS grading and probably cheaper than you could submit them yourself unless you are a PCGS authorized dealer.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2017 9:25PM

@roadrunner said:
    Gold beans leave no money on the table....at least in 95% of the time.

It obviously varies by the series, but the premium for more common coins with a gold CAC sticker appears to have declined from previous highs. Of course, I haven't seen many gold stickered Franklins.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2017 9:48PM

At 27 gold stickers on Franklins, it's a pretty small group....Walkers are 6X that amount. Morgans 10X. Common Buffs 9X. Mercs 15X. The Franks are pretty tough....especially since not a lot of them were slabbed in the early TPG years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file