Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally added a Smoker to my collection

mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2017 8:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

OK, @DCW told me to be careful because some tokens and medals are "gateway" pieces that suck you into a darker world ;)

I think I'm in now, but to be honest I've been looking for one of these for a long time and this one popped up on the @NERarities website. Had to pull the trigger. Thought I'd share...

In the most funny words of Run the Jewels rapper Killer Mike, "who got the weed?" Post your smokers if you got'em :)

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely my favorite of all tokens. Congrats!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, too-an 1857 "Smoking Liberty" Seated quarter-PCGS XF40 cleaned. Very tough in high grade.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

neat item

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW.... That is an amazing specimen. I am not a token collector, have a few that I have picked up incidentally.... but this one always intrigued me.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked at those tokens, but have not pulled the trigger yet. I did buy the first Atlantic Cable token recently. I'll have to post that when I finally get my article written.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever I see "smoker" I think of the 1857 25C "Smoking Liberty"...like this one;

@koynekwest said:
    Me, too-an 1857 "Smoking Liberty" Seated quarter-PCGS XF40 cleaned. Very tough in high grade.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need one of these !

@DCW said:
    Love it!
    Here's my "smoker" which I had to let go to further other collecting interests:

Struck in silver. Wish I wouldve held onto this one...

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool tokens :)

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

So happy to have that piece go to a good home! I just love this design. David Bowers once described the Smoker token as maybe the greatest and most beautifully designed token in American history!!

@BillJones said:
    I have looked at those tokens, but have not pulled the trigger yet. I did buy the first Atlantic Cable token recently. I'll have to post that when I finally get my article written.

I think that piece did come from me as well Bill which was a wonderful copper example Look forward to the article!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice token! I have never seen this one before.

• Options

In following the theme, here is one I was lucky enough to handle last year as well.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a neat piece. A friend just got a couple of BU ones recently to flip. I didn't even know about it until I saw one.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like that token! The "weed," as I understand it, was doubtlessly legal in 1860.

What do these cost?

• Options
    edited June 30, 2017 10:52AM

@koynekwest said:
    I do like that token! The "weed," as I understand it, was doubtlessly legal in 1860.

What do these cost?

The "weed" was tobacco at the time of course. The OP coin has JNT Levick original design and reverse, and then other Merchants were paired with it. Such a cool and fun piece!

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

nice coin. would love to add one to the safe!

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

where/who would you recommend to source one of these?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2017 12:11PM

@koynekwest For context I paid $1,375 (I don't know if it's politically correct to say these things, but I don't mind).

@2ltdjorn I got mine from www.nerarities.com ... Mike @NewEnglandRarities on these boards. But Steve Hayden handles them (http://www.civilwartokens.com/), maybe Dave Wnuck @DaveWcoins on these boards, or maybe John K (http://www.jkamericana.com/) ... and in general, many people (including auctions) have handled these and will so again, I'm certain, it's just that the shelf life of this piece in inventory is probably less than 48 hours is my guess.

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an example in silver with the Levick reverse. It's one of my favorite tokens also!

Photo courtesy of W. David Perkins.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should have a face value of $4.20. :D

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup!! Congrat's.

Ill post mine too.

Brass version

Copper version with Hill on reverse instead of Levick.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2017 10:31AM

This is a fun token but I have mixed feelings about the message, especially after reading the following article back in March.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/27/us/refugees-jobs-drug-testing/index.html

As more Americans fail drug tests, employers turn to refugees

The refugees at Sterling come from all over the world, from Syria to Sudan, Chad to Bhutan. And they've all passed the company's standard drug test.

"In our lives, we don't have drugs," said Alzamel, who was hired within three months after arriving in Pennsylvania. "We don't even know what they look like or how to use them."

But for an increasing number of American-born workers, passing drug tests is a big problem.

The percentage of American workers testing positive for illegal drugs has climbed steadily over the last three years to its highest level in a decade, according to Quest Diagnostics, which performed more than 10 million employment drug screenings last year. The increase has been fueled in part by rural America's heroin epidemic and the legalization of recreational marijuana in states like Colorado.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where can I get one of these tokens? No luck on eBay.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

They come up for auction once in a while and occasionally on dealer sites.
    There aren't many of these so its best to grab one when you see it.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2017 4:31PM

@CommemKing said:

Collectors.com lists one from US Rare Coin Investments. The dealer website says is not for sale but has a Make Offer button next to it. Can't hurt to try.

• Options

@CommemKing said:

As @coinsarefun said, I've been looking forever, and literally been late to the table like half dozen times (e.g. either snoozed on an auction, or missed it in dealer new inventory), so I would also suggest that if you see one, you like it, and you can afford it, just buy it...you'll regret not doing it and will continue to chase it until it drives you crazy.

These are really scarce if you think of them in context of how many pieces were made versus the demand for the pieces.

Good luck in the hunt!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats MB. Some great examples in this thread

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

I've had quite a few of these through the years - including a number of the pieces posted in this thread - not lately though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file