Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The rarest and most unusual love token I have ever seen ...

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a love token that I thought about buying many years ago. It was made on an 1848 CAL. quarter eagle.

For those who don't know the story, here is a “Readers’ Digest” version. After gold was discovered in California in 1848, the military governor (This was before California became a state.) sent out a party of his men to collect samples from the goldfields. Future Civil War general William T. Sherman was part of that group. They gathered up 230 ounces of bullion and shipped it to the East Coast via Panama. The trip took from August 1848 to early December to complete. This was the first shipment of California gold to be received on the East Coast by a couple of days.

After the gold had been on display in the secretary of war’s office for a few days, it was decided that it should be shipped to Philadelphia Mint where it was coined into 1,389 quarter eagles. Each of these coins had a “CAL.” counterstamp punched on the reverse above the eagle. Today it is believed that about 150 of these pieces have survived. “Coin Factors” places the estimate at 162. Here is a nice example of the coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is cool, one of a kind. Is it currently for sale somewhere? I would be curious to see what it sold for.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 7:13AM

No, it's not for sale so far as I know. I saw this piece back in the late 1980s. It was offered to me for $1,200, which was steep at the time ... at least I thought so. My interest was in getting a "CAL." that I could afford, given the high price of a nice one. I have spoken to the dealer who had it, and he knows who has it now. I don't know if or when it will be available.

Back then most all of the pictures I was taking were on slides so that's why the photos look funky. This is a picture taken from a slide by me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent find

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very cool

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

That's very neat! Hard to beat that.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gadzooks!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a good one for the hat!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a rare bird alright!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

That pc is still floating around the New England area, saw it a few months ago. Thought it was really neat as well, made what I thought was a fairly strong mid 4 figure offer that was politely refused.

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, I own an 1856-S over S Seated Quarter that was used as the host coin for a Love Token. aside from the choice of the coin is the fact that it had the carving on the obverse like yours, not typical at all. this is one of the peculiar things about the Hobby: the random choices that are made and result in the loss of scarce/rare coins.

non-collectors seem to have a knack for doing that and for saving random coins which are valuable. about a month ago we had an elderly woman walk in to look at some jewelry. she had 19 dimes that she wanted to sell and one of them was a low grade 1916-D!! needless to say she was quite happy.

it's too bad you didn't buy that Cal. but it's sort of cool to know it's out there. thanks for the story.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, now that is very cool. B)

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1848-CAL is on my bucket list.

I think my bucket will remain empty. :'(

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow great coin and story...thanks for sharing!!

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

An amazing piece of history.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is freaking amazing!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting! That's awesome.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting story.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what that coin's history is? The unusually heavy amount of wear suggests that it was carried or worn by someone for a very long time. A good fictional short story could probably be written about its travels over the past 169 years.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me likey :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool, i like.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing that they didn't use the other side for the inscription.

Then you'd be wondering if that 1848 was once a "Cal" and you'd be right but never know it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin, almost as impressive as your slide image from almost 40 years ago, and that you can still trace the piece

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great historical piece Bill.... so interesting to be able to tie a coin to such history.... even as a love token it is significant. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    I still like my 1796 10c love token. :-)

I've seen elongated coins on several key dates, including an elongated 1885 Liberty nickel, elongated 1909-S, 1914-D, and 1931-S Lincoln cents...

Interesting. I have an elongated '14-D from the 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file