Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stuff that dealers say when you try to sell them a coin?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2017 7:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

"it says 65 but is really a 64"

Coin was an 1885-CC Morgan that showed up in the mail before I headed to a show. Bought it right and would have flipped it to the guy if he wasn't an idiot.

Comments

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

"...that's a fugly widget...you should try eBay" ;)

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can never fix stupid. You can only avoid them.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

"I'll give you half what you paid."

Uh... no you won't.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the limbo dancers ... "How low can you go?"

All glory is fleeting.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Guy on tv (AANLive.com)just said he has only in 20 years, seen 2 ms 70 silver eagles, the 2000 w he selling now is valued at 6500 bucks, graded ms70 by the esteemed IGS... hurry quick time is running out.... check your cable or dtv listings , on live now...

keceph `anah
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

you will never see one this nice again

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes or no? We're closing in 5 hours.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    'This just came in the store late yesterday, was going to send it in next week. It is a lock 66 CAC...' Yeah, right and tonight I have a date with Scarlett Johansson....Cheers, RickO

I am not up on these things, so who is Scarlett Johansson?

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's more 65 than 66.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Natchez14Natchez14 Posts: 81 ✭✭

How much you looking to get? No, that's what I sell them for.

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

" I'm sorry you lost your loved one."

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If you don't buy it, I am going to crack an resubmit! I know it is at least a grade or two higher than indicated."

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 9:38AM

?

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

You picked a good one to start @ricko . Now let's see some coins!!

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D:D That was just a copy and paste..... Not a picture I took.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    You picked a good one to start @ricko . Now let's see some coins!!

Don't hold your breath.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I understand you found a 1943 Copper cent online and it's $80,000 ma'am, but it' not this one you have. "

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Natchez14 said:
    How much you looking to get? No, that's what I sell them for.

"In that case I'd like to buy a few."

"I'm sorry but we are currently out of stock."

:D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealer selling and buyer making an offer - "I've got more than that in it"

Dealer buying - "I already have more than I can handle of those"

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 11:22AM

@ricko said:
    A very attractive, current star.....
    Cheers, RickO

Thanks, It's great to look at something besides coins.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Too bad its been cleaned."

• Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

This comment by a dealer from whom I purchased a Standing Liberty Quarter graded by him as MS64:
    "this coin has been whizzed, it's only worth melt!" I haven't been back to him since. And I bought lots of things from him. Jewelry, bullion, and coins! No Mas!!!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    'This just came in the store late yesterday, was going to send it in next week. It is a lock 66 CAC...' Yeah, right and tonight I have a date with Scarlett Johansson....Cheers, RickO

I was always partial to Maria Menounos. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike!...Yeah... well, at my age I have to take just one...too old for an orgy.... :D:D:D Cheers, RickO

• hutze1nmhutze1nm Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 12:24PM

I bought a raw 1883-P Morgan that was very nicely toned obverse and reverse from one dealer. The next month I was looking for a PL 1883-CC Morgan and offered to another dealer in trade. He hemmed and hawed and said "it's one of those coins that could go AU58 or MS61/2" (which Is what I hear a lot from dealers talking down raw Morgan's) and offered me $25 in trade.... I knew better than that and I thanked him and promptly got the coin in the mail to PCGS because 1 I thought it was shot 65 and two I was mad that he tried to scam me and wanted to prove him wrong. Fast forward 3 months It came back MS65 and now as we speak it's at CAC. Fadetoblack thinks it should CAC.

Things I like to do: Collect PL Morgans. That’s is all.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 12:58PM

Stuff that collectors say when they try to sell a dealer a coin:
    "it says 65 but is really a 66"
    "...it's a fugging spectacular widget...it goes up on eBay if you don't buy it"
    "I need twice the price I paid"
    If it's Anacs or ICG and Unc., it will for sure cross at grade to PCGS
    ... :)

(Just looking for some symmetry here - negotiation is a 2-way street!)

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 5:55PM

@Bankerbob56 said:
    This comment by a dealer from whom I purchased a Standing Liberty Quarter graded by him as MS64:
    "this coin has been whizzed, it's only worth melt!" I haven't been back to him since. And I bought lots of things from him. Jewelry, bullion, and coins! No Mas!!!

@Bankerbob56 said:

Deleted original post. Thought better of it.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    :D:D That was just a copy and paste..... Not a picture I took.... ;) Cheers, RickO

...and in color, no less.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

I should have added that the dealers comment about the SLQ being whizzed was made when I took the same coin back to him in trade for an upgrade! Not sure what Hydrant had to say that he eventually thought twice about!?! This is simply a post based on the OP's topic. I didn't indict anyone, simply stated my experience.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Show dealer with all raw coins: "I sell everything at Bid".

Translation: "I sell everything at Bid for the grade I wrote on the 2x2. Generally a grade or two too high."

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 7:41PM

My first 2 major transactions of my early career back in 1974/1975. Purchased a Fine/VF 1799 dollar and Unc 1838 half from a local dealer for $850 total. They weren't bad coins either. Took them back a few months later to see if they had any interest in buying them back........

Dealer: I never sold those to you.

That ended a 1-2 yr relationship pretty quick. Many years later I heard from another dealer than they may have regretted lying about that for reasons that really don't matter today.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    edited June 29, 2017 7:45PM

Dealer: I have no use for those coins. I don't have ANY customers for them.

This was back in 1980 after I was looking to sell MS65 commems back to the local dealer who had sold me half a dozen of them over the previous several years. His comment was dealer-speak for "in order to maximize my profits I cannot afford to buy back coins that I sold for all the money....I'd rather just buy from the dumb public as cheap as I can...buy them as 63's and sell them as 65's." That ended an 8 year relationship. These are reasons you should test your "favorite" dealers early on to see what they are made of.

edited June 29, 2017 7:48PM

Dealer: (while snickering to their partner) - "Did we sell that to you? (knowing full well that they did).

That was a MS63 1838 ND quarter they just did not want back again.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Cheers, RickO

Ricko........certainly you just posted that picture to get a LOT of Likes ( 9 to date). And I and going to return and like it too. Does anyone know the record for the most "likes" on a post?

OINK

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm sorry, but in this market I pay less for better dates because they're tougher sells."

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    edited June 29, 2017 8:50PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@ricko said:
    Cheers, RickO

Ricko........certainly you just posted that picture to get a LOT of Likes ( 9 to date). And I and going to return and like it too. Does anyone know the record for the most "likes" on a post?

OINK

While the end product is quite pleasing....it likely took some plastic surgery and alterations to achieve that Hollywood look....consult "before" photos from her teens. If you're just counting on nature, it's not that easy to hit the lotto on every feature. Sort of like a coin. Nature doesn't do such a great job. So the doctors are called in to assist.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the end product is quite pleasing....it likely took some plastic surgery and alterations to achieve that Hollywood look....consult "before" photos from her teens. If you're just counting on nature, it's not that easy to hit the lotto on every feature. Sort of like a coin. Nature doesn't do such a great job. So the doctors are called in to assist.

To accuse Ricko of posting a doctored woman on this forum is beyond the pale......even if it is true, you could get bammed for such accusations against other members of this forum. So what makes doctored women different than doctored coins???????

OINK

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

_Nice coin, but I've got no where to go with it. _

Nice pic, Ricko! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bankerbob56 said:
    I should have added that the dealers comment about the SLQ being whizzed was made when I took the same coin back to him in trade for an upgrade! Not sure what Hydrant had to say that he eventually thought twice about!?! This is simply a post based on the OP's topic. I didn't indict anyone, simply stated my experience.

I deleted my original post because the incident was so very long ago and the dealer is still doing business. Too much info. People do change. But, 25 years later, there is the occasional eye contact made at shows but words are never exchanged. We both know what we're thinking. And it's not good.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I attempted to sell a very nice PCGS MS64 Flying eagle Cent to a dealer at a show three years ago.. His response I'll never forget............ " Well, a few years ago that would have been in a 63 holder, they are so loose these days"... and then offered me 20% back of 63 money...He liked the coin he said!!! Ha, I sold it for the right price 1 month later... :)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LRCTom said:
    Show dealer with all raw coins: "I sell everything at Bid".

Translation: "I sell everything at Bid for the grade I wrote on the 2x2. Generally a grade or two too high."

This was almost universal practice in the coin industry before third party grading came along. Dealers would buy at one grade and then sell it at a higher grade. It is because of this behavior that third party grading became so popular with collectors who were sick and tired of getting ripped off by dishonest coin dealers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

All dealers Back Then were not crooks. I bought around 15 coins from JJ Teaparty in the late 80's early 90's. Every single coin slabbed at least 1 full step in grade higher than the grade I bought them at in the early 2000's .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file