Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stuff that dealers say when you try to sell them a coin?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Yes, we pay 2% more than Coin Star for your change, sir ".

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    All dealers Back Then were not crooks. I bought around 15 coins from JJ Teaparty in the late 80's early 90's. Every single coin slabbed at least 1 full step in grade higher than the grade I bought them at in the early 2000's .

There were always exceptions. But with the TPG's on the scene in the late 1980's and early 1990's, even raw coins started to be graded much more in tune with TPG standards. Now if you told me you have bought those coins from any random dealer in the 1983-1986 period and they turned out a grade higher by year 2000, then I'd be surprised.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember virtually all coins I've bought and sold except for bullion coins or rolls. There is no excuse for not telling the truth on why they can't pay real money for nice certified coins; "I can't afford to buy it/them now", "nice coins but I would tie up too much money for an unknown period of time"; "business is slow now, but I could take them on consignment if you want", or point in the direction of buyers which are well known. On any given coin the critical analysis could turn up problems even on PCGS/cac coins.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me know @ricko, if things don't work out with you and ScarJo :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    All dealers Back Then were not crooks. I bought around 15 coins from JJ Teaparty in the late 80's early 90's. Every single coin slabbed at least 1 full step in grade higher than the grade I bought them at in the early 2000's .

I also bought from them. They were one of the few mail order coin sellers that I could trust. I lost a lot of money returning coins to coin dealers back before the internet and third part grading.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston.... You will be glad to know...things worked out exceedingly well............in my dreams.... :D:D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

"A guy was in here yesterday and said he was going to buy that coin............get it now or it'll be gone"

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though I realize the OP is looking for stuff dealers saying when offered coins, I agree with PerryHall and seatedlib about JJ Teaparty being one of the best raw coin dealers from the pre-slab era. And I tried a fair share of them!

Back to the OP - recall a dealer set up at show, asking if I had anything for sale....I pulled out some raw AU 1930's walkers with mint marks that I had recently upgraded...."nahhh, I got rolls of that stuff back to the shop"......I replied "really, you should bring them to the shows." knowing full well it was highly unlikely he had AU rolls of these coins. To which he replied "I can't be bringing all that junk with me".... And my coins would have been a marked improvement over most of the dreck in his cases.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 12:49PM

@PerryHall said:

@LRCTom said:
    Show dealer with all raw coins: "I sell everything at Bid".

Translation: "I sell everything at Bid for the grade I wrote on the 2x2. Generally a grade or two too high."

This was almost universal practice in the coin industry before third party grading came along. Dealers would buy at one grade and then sell it at a higher grade. It is because of this behavior that third party grading became so popular with collectors who were sick and tired of getting ripped off by dishonest coin dealers.

Sadly, slabs didn't fix much.

Many dealers still disproportionately disagree with slabbed grades when buying ("they were generous when they graded that one, etc."), and disagree with slabbed grades when selling ("they had a bad day when they graded this, yaddie, yaddie...I'll be submitting it for a regrade, etc."). It just so happens that those dealer disagreements usually consistently go in their favor monetarily.

:lol:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    "A guy was in here yesterday and said he was going to buy that coin............get it now or it'll be gone"

Pete

To which I usually reply:

"He wanted to pay that much?

Sell it to him, quick!"

and walk away

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell all book? :)

• Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Offered a dealer a PCGS graded type coin at 30% back of bid. He shoved it back at me and said, "I'm here to make money".

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I don't have a buyer for it."

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Let me find my Blue Sheet"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file