Home Precious Metals

40% Kennedy halves. Stack or sell?

Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

I'm being offered a few rolls of 40% halves. Are these something I would want to stack or sell off? Or pass altogether? Fellow is asking $50 a roll.

Comments

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass...

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass trifecta.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you flip them for a profit? Otherwise, pass.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

offer $43 a roll or pass. Current melt on the roll is $48.60

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Buy what you like.

I for one am not a huge fan of 40%.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

what can you do with them? Use them for trading is about all. Many refiners will not even take them as the cost of abstracting the pure silver eats up any profit and is just not worth it.

I'd pass, but they do sell well on ebay so search for the most latest sold prices to be sure. I seem to remember that they sell right at the value of silver and no more. So, paying what you're being offered is a no go. Ebay does have selling fees and so does Paypal (required ebay payment method).
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing worse that 40% silver are war nickels. Yuck! :s

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Thank you!
    I am sticking with .999

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

mission16, stick to 90% as well.....easy to sell as well and popular too. 40%....yuck

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

$50/roll is currently ~2.5% OVER melt. Not a good deal unless you're the seller. I wouldn't buy them for more than $40/roll.

APMEX has a current buy price at $45.70/roll but you have to sell over $5k to get that price.

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

run away

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

See if he will take 3-5 dimes in trade, they may grade ms66-68...

keceph `anah
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Definitely pass!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to be contrarian and oppositional with all the guys here, but I think you should pass.

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

If you're getting them for "free", aka, buying boxes of halves and getting some in the rolls, then sure, I'd keep them and try selling when silver is worth more. But I'd avoid buying them outright.

Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try NOT to take them. But when I have no choice (i.e. part of a package) I unload them as quick as I can.

Cheers

Bob

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass...the only way I take 40% is in change.... and I have not had any in change in 20 years. ;) Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to find many in my roll searching days. Got them at face obviously. I sold or traded them as soon as possible.
    I only "bought" them to instantly flip. Like war nickels, I don't hold them at all.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard them at face value only IMHO. Sell when $ilver hits $35, $40 and $50

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one time I was getting around $5 each from them as I found them at face.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

pass. jmo

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

silver is silver but there are better ways to stack.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send the discounted crap to me. I'll stack it at these levels.

HE>I

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a few years ago, when price of silver had dropped below $10 an ounce, that the 40% halves were actually more desirable. Why? Because of lower downside risk. If silver is at $7 an ounce, the 40% contains perhaps around $1 of silver or so. If you purchased at that price or lower, you had limited downside risk... if silver for some reason dropped much more, you would still have a fifty cent piece to spend, even if amount of silver in it was less.

Other than that... much better ways to spend money on silver unless you get a really, really good deal. IMO certainly not $50 a roll. (As mentioned before, I do see they sell pretty well on ebay).

----- kj