Home U.S. Coin Forum

Finally Got One of These

Not quite a month ago Jeremy posted about a new Bust Dollar he recently acquired. Like him, I've wanted one for more than a decade. In my case, my coin budget was always dedicated to my other coin collecting interests, and mid-grade examples that met my eye appeal test were out of my price range anyway... so I never bothered to look for a "wholesome" example. As most of you know, the vast majority of the examples out there possess one or more undesirable characteristics (i.e., very low grade, damaged, cleaned, holed, numerous adjustment marks, stained, uneven or ugly toning, etc.). Finding a mostly problem free coin with a decent amount of remaining detail can be quite a challenge!

Over the past several years I've been more diverse in my collecting, so I started to look more seriously for a nice example for my collection. I've looked over hundreds of examples, but none of the coins were nice enough for me to pull the trigger on (at least none of the examples that I could afford). Well, I finally found (what I consider) a nice one this week and I'm stoked about it!
She may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I know it's the most common date, but I'm proud to add her to my humble collection.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.

Comments

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin!

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice coin

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one looks, well, perfect!

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who wouldn't like that?!?

• WhitWhit Posts: 322 ✭✭✭

There is nothing to dislike about that coin. Simply superb.

Whit
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTG! Very, VERY nice!!! B)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hit "agree" on every one of the posts above mine.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

18th century coins are the best!

• FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Yes, she is gorgeous! I don't see anything average about her. Well done!

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yours is a beauty BF!

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the look I would go for as well. Love it!!!!!!

Trade $'s
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two thumbs up for a nicely detailed example. Well done!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice example!

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

That's a great coin.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

K

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great choice! Love it.
    Lance.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's exactly how I like them. Beautiful!

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

a fine choice for type!

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's a beaut!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!!

Timbuk3
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Humble collection?".....I don't think so.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Has the sort of look you always demanded for your Barber Halves, which were always stellar. And considering the Bust dollar is 100 years older and may have been in far more collector's hands over the years with the risk of having been messed with, this one is an accomplishment to find. Congrats.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's outstanding

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Real nice!!!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Guacamole!!!

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! Very nice.
    Though, with a name like yours, you do understand that it isn't a barber, right? ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - it looks like medal its so well detailed!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. I would love to own it!

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a nice looking coin! It's a coin that will still please you many years down the road.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great example.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great coin. I have been looking for one as well.
    As you said, there is usually one or more little things that make me keep looking.
    I think that one would be tough to beat.
    Congratulations!

• CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Not quite a month ago Jeremy posted about a new Bust Dollar he recently acquired. Like him, I've wanted one for more than a decade. In my case, my coin budget was always dedicated to my other coin collecting interests, and mid-grade examples that met my eye appeal test were out of my price range anyway... so I never bothered to look for a "wholesome" example. As most of you know, the vast majority of the examples out there possess one or more undesirable characteristics (i.e., very low grade, damaged, cleaned, holed, numerous adjustment marks, stained, uneven or ugly toning, etc.). Finding a mostly problem free coin with a decent amount of remaining detail can be quite a challenge!

Over the past several years I've been more diverse in my collecting, so I started to look more seriously for a nice example for my collection. I've looked over hundreds of examples, but none of the coins were nice enough for me to pull the trigger on (at least none of the examples that I could afford). Well, I finally found (what I consider) a nice one this week and I'm stoked about it!
    She may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I know it's the most common date, but I'm proud to add her to my humble collection.

Very nice! What a great pick up for you!
    Congratulations.!.!

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 6:48AM

Awesome piece, was just looking at bust halves last night, the design is and always will be iconic.
    Guessing AU something right?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic ....That is a marvelous coin.... wow... you did very well... a beautiful addition to your collection, one which will please you for many years to come. Heck, I would take that coin to bed with me each night.. put it under my pillow so I could dream about it... :D Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! What a great pick up.

• CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @BarberFanatic ....That is a marvelous coin.... wow... you did very well... a beautiful addition to your collection, one which will please you for many years to come. Heck, I would take that coin to bed with me each night.. put it under my pillow so I could dream about it... :D Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

Oh my.!.! Lol

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I bought my 1799 I remembered the excitement of buying it - at that time my most expensive coin by far - and then my wife figuring out how much I spent on it and going ballistic and not speaking to me for a couple of days.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful dollar.
    I'm going to say a 58......

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

As nice as I think I've seen.
    May I ask grade?

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AU to me.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be very careful with it. Those curls might cut through the plastic. ;)

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty, congrats

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice example! let me know if you tire of her :wink:

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool bustie, congrats on the nice pick up

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file