Home U.S. Coin Forum

Finally Got One of These

2»

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Cary...Young Jimmy will treasure that Dollar for many years to come.
    Nice looking coin and strong AU imho

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't want any tea from whoever's cup that's not.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine's in a green beaned 45 holder but nowhere NEAR that dang critter of yours! :o

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's a beauty, no matter the grade. :+1::+1:

Congrats on the pickup.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Mine's in a green beaned 45 holder but nowhere NEAR that dang critter of yours! :o

I'm not so sure about that, topstuf. Yours is a pretty sweet example. Definitely one of the nicest examples I've seen. I like the peripheral toning. Thanks for sharing the photo.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 10:04AM

Beautiful coin with what appear to be wonderful surfaces...congrats on the pickup!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!! What's not to like about this coin. A great example in a very nice grade with no problems!

What am I missing. Reading the intro I was expecting sort of a dog.....and then WOW!!!

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply spectacular. I do not comment that often on many of the fine coins here . . . but this one is just superb in all respects.

I enjoy thinking about its history; the fact that it was used just a little bit in the channels of circulation, perhaps to buy some fenceposts, nails, or animal feed. Then, somehow, it was put away. Maybe not even by a collector, but by a family that was saving some hard currency, as it would be doubtful (but not impossible) that it was put away by a collector in the 1800-1820 era, which would have given it the light amount of circulation it has. Then . . . it turned up again in circulation, and a collector in the non-silver-dollar era from 1803-1836 (ish) pulled it and put it away. (Purely surmising . . . and humor me please?)

So fortuitous that it survives at all . . .and absolutely stunning that it survives in this condition. It was used, as intended, then put away carefully by people who knew what they were doing. Kudos to them . . . . . . and you.

Drunner

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again great coin.....makes me want one......but I spend all my money on Dimes. :#

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is a true XF45. The other two examples you showed are, in my opinion, both overgraded. If either of them were offered to me as XF 45 I would have passed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 12:59PM

THOU DAMNED DOLLAR !!

I be nailing this doubloon to the mast for the first man jack of ye who brings me one like that! :#

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow
    What a beautiful coin.
    I am seeing an AU coin. Period.
    Nice pick-up

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Since several have asked...

The coin is in a PCGS XF45 holder with a green CAC bean. I know the old cliche that "ownership adds a point", but I truly think the coin is under-graded and I'm surprised JA didn't gold sticker it. Like I mentioned in my original post, I've seen quite a few mid-grade examples during my search, but this is the nicest coin in an XF45 holder that I've had the opportunity of purchasing. As an example, here are two coins in the last five years or so that are in PCGS XF45 holders that I almost pulled the trigger on:

Now compare the one I just got:

Pretty obvious that mine is under-graded. Should be in at least a 50 (if not 53) holder or have a gold CAC bean for sure.

Good eye!
    The surfaces on your coin are so much better than the others and......obvious cleaning on the other two.

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats

Easton Collection
  • Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭

.Congratulations on the great find!

Did you ever think that the other 2 coins may be over- graded? They look more like XF-40 to me. I agree that your coin could be AU50 even up to AU55 on a good day, but why not look at a few Au PCGS graded coins first and compare?

@291fifth said:
    Your coin is a true XF45. The other two examples you showed are, in my opinion, both overgraded. If either of them were offered to me as XF 45 I would have passed.

@Bob1951 said:
    .Congratulations on the great find!

Did you ever think that the other 2 coins may be over- graded? They look more like XF-40 to me. I agree that your coin could be AU50 even up to AU55 on a good day, but why not look at a few Au PCGS graded coins first and compare?

Did some more looking with a dispassionate eye and I believe the two of you are correct. I think my coin would come back as an AU50 once out of every three or four submission attempts. If there were an XF48 grade, I think my coin would be spot on that.

But as others in this thread have said, I like the coin regardless of the grade on the slab. I'm a coin collector, not a grade collector.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭

That's some nice early American history!

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. What's not to love? Congrats!

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin! Congrats!

• they are great, I like them

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice addition!

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's such a nice looking coin!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb coin and one I'd be very proud to own. Sincere congrats to you!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • agcedaragcedar Posts: 15 ✭✭

Sweet coin, congrats!

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a fantastic example! Way beyond my budget, but if not, definitely the kind of coin I'd be after. I'm glad my thread from a few weeks ago inspired your decade-long hunt.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Since several have asked...

The coin is in a PCGS XF45 holder with a green CAC bean. I know the old cliche that "ownership adds a point", but I truly think the coin is under-graded and I'm surprised JA didn't gold sticker it. Like I mentioned in my original post, I've seen quite a few mid-grade examples during my search, but this is the nicest coin in an XF45 holder that I've had the opportunity of purchasing. As an example, here are two coins in the last five years or so that are in PCGS XF45 holders that I almost pulled the trigger on:
    Now compare the one I just got!

Pretty obvious that mine is under-graded. Should be in at least a 50 (if not 53) holder or have a gold CAC bean for sure.

When I feel that way I don't debate it with friends. I resubmit it. As you should.
    Lance.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    When I bought my 1799 I remembered the excitement of buying it - at that time my most expensive coin by far - and then my wife figuring out how much I spent on it and going ballistic and not speaking to me for a couple of days.

So, a win win? ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great detail and well worth the wait! Love the detail and look on this one. I've also always loved the clouds above the eagle on this design. Congrats!

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the nicest XF45 Bustie I have seen! Wow. You scored my friend.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

I want to thank everyone for their nice comments. I never expected to see 2 pages worth (I'm humbled by the response actually). I probably won't resubmit the coin as the grade ultimately doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file