Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What the dealers use to buy on eBay...

disruptekdisruptek Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited May 30, 2017 7:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Deleted by popular demand. Good luck out there...

disruptek.com
877-DISRPTK
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spam is always welcome.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spam is right.

• Options

Obviously, this isn't for you. ;)

But when I meet collectors/customers at shows and they are excited about the concept, it makes me think others might be interested as well.

Forgive me for wasting your time.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like spam to me

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno, the guy wrote a new sniping program that's free to use.
    Snipping is discussed here.

Try reposting it on the Buy, Sell & Trade forum.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didnt see the original post but I do know the OP had one of the best inventories of coins on EBaY

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP had nothing, that I can remember, about a price or even pushing it as a sale.
    The Glicker's alt, just liked to jump right into the "spam" post (and, that's coming from me...one of the quickest on the forums to call out people's spam posts....I just didn't see it the same way...and I don't use, nor have ever used, anything from the OP...heck...don't even know him).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

You can find the post I started a few years ago if you want to read about the origins of the software. If that interests you, I suppose you could message me directly to get more information on where it sits today.

Regarding my inventory, I appreciate the compliment from @Justacommeman. I was just talking to a dealer last week who told me he tried to copy my listings because they were (and remain) the nicest he'd ever seen on eBay. It really made me happy to hear that my work was noticed.

Anyway, I guess not everything I create is going to be so well received, right? ;)

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2017 8:46PM

BST would be a better place.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an open forum for all, to express their ideas and opinions. I didn't see the op but if you have something to share thats perninant, share away.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

I think the confusion, on my part, is due to the fact that BST has always been used for trading between forum members while this forum was always used for discussion (particularly about eBay). There are much better places to perform online advertising -- believe me, India is super cheap right now! -- but that's not what this is about.

What I'm interested in is discussion and feedback. You guys are part of my origin story, and I got some good feedback from some of the regulars here awhile back without any complaints about my etiquette or choice of forum.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn...sorry I missed the OP.... sounds as if it was interesting. While I do not use sniping programs, I do find it great fun and do it manually. My record is two seconds and won... Actually, never lost an item I really wanted... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

The Glicker's alt, I like that. :p

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive me for my ignorance. No, on second thought, hold a candle to me for it.

• Options

I don't think I can hold a candle to your ignorance, but I do want to comment on sniping. :D

I haven't used a sniping program in about 15 years ($~7MM in purchases) and I don't recommend it. Here are my reasons:

• I don't trust anyone with my eBay credentials.
    • I know the technical details behind how bids are accepted by eBay and as a result, I know that sniping sites are not infallible.
    • I bid on a lot of items and if a sniping site starts failing, I could miss many items before I can get online, re-figure bids, and enter them into eBay.
    • I try to dominate entire categories and I have to approach eBay buying with a long-term strategy: I want to discourage my competition into thinking that they will never outbid me and never buy anything juicy on eBay. Sniping makes them think that they were one bid away from winning the item, which is contrary to my goal. I want them to leave the eBay site in disgust and never return.

Obviously, many people don't have these concerns and are happy with sniping. There are plenty of existing sniping services out there to satisfy those folks.

AuctionHero isn't a sniping app, though it can be used with a sniper; it's an enhanced searcher/browser which allows exploitations of eBay which are otherwise impossible at worst and tedious beyond measure at best.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 9:51AM

I use a sniping program and works well for me on the Bay would not go any other way. Many super buys.

While one is not one bid away from sniping if your a buyer at x u can enter that in y snipe. In addition snipes can be cancelled unless within few min auc end.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this but if your model is to dominate eBay, why provide the capability for others to be more competitive with you auctionhero offering? Are you planning to monetize it?

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 10:22AM

Please send me the info by PM from the initial post here. You may want to adjust your profile setting to allow private messages too.
    Of course then you'll unfortunately be subject to nastygrams from the idiots and alts here.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    Please send me the info by PM from the initial post here. You may want to adjust your profile setting to allow private messages too.
    Of course then you'll unfortunately be subject to nastygrams from the idiots and alts here.

+1

• Options

I was convinced to go after a software patent and, since that involves revealing how the technology works, it became a question of defending the IP with aggressive development of a product to serve as the embodiment for the patent claim and to discourage infringement.

AuctionHero is monetized with affiliate commissions only. I don't buy coins on eBay these days and honestly, I'm more excited about finally releasing this secret weapon than I am about shifting plastic back and forth across glass cases. ;)

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don't you put the link back up and not worry about the busybodies ....

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    I dunno, the guy wrote a new sniping program that's free to use.
    Snipping is discussed here.

Try reposting it on the Buy, Sell & Trade forum.

I got a good snipping.

• Options

I can't figure out how to toggle private messages in this new forum software. I know, a bad sign for a technologist, but what can I say? All my old messages are in my inbox, but there are no PM controls anywhere. Maybe I don't have enough posts?

So I guess we're back to sharing the link. You can find the site at AuctionHero.io. There is a (somewhat limited) tutorial once you sign in which will walk you through the basics, but you may be forgiven for not "getting it" right away. It's a complex and novel thing that really doesn't seem to have any analogue elsewhere, so it's difficult to explain, but once you drink the Kool-Aid, I don't think you'll want to eBay without it. :)

Feel free to reach out here, on Twitter, or via the Help button, which allows for live chat. I am quite starved for feedback, so any comments at all are appreciated.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2017 11:00AM

Do you have a FB page ?
    To reset your notification preferences:
    Click on your member name: Click on the small icon just left of your avatar: click on edit profile: click on notification preferences: select check boxes for email and pop-up notification of private messages.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options

There's a FB page here but Facebook creeps me out and I don't post there yet. I do post updates on Twitter. When adding features starts to take a back-burner to blogging on how best to exploit the software, those articles will show up on both social networks.

The next big feature in the pipeline is probably Aspect Filters. These are the filters that let you search using Item Specifics, eg. only items where the "Grading Service" field is set to "PCGS". That's a simple example, but you can do some amazing stuff -- I have a guy using AuctionHero to search for textbooks on a list of 2,000 ISBN numbers that he calculated are good sellers on Amazon. Pretty neat.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

@coindeuce said:
    To reset your notification preferences:
    Click on your member name: Click on the small icon just left of your avatar: click on edit profile: click on notification preferences: select check boxes for email and pop-up notification of private messages.

Thanks, I do have that stuff on. I thought PM attempts by others were bouncing or something.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2017 11:17AM

Ordinarily, when I click on another member's screen name, it opens their profile page, with a link to send a PM near the top left corner of their avatar. It is missing from your profile page. If I use the link to your comments, below your avatar, it brings up the PM link.

• Options

@disruptek said:

• I try to dominate entire categories and I have to approach eBay buying with a long-term strategy: I want to discourage my competition into thinking that they will never outbid me and never buy anything juicy on eBay. Sniping makes them think that they were one bid away from winning the item, which is contrary to my goal. I want them to leave the eBay site in disgust and never return.

So your goal on Ebay is to have members leave in disgust but you come on this site out of altruism and benevolence?

• Options

I'm not sure what the question is. Are you asking me to define the word competition or are you asking how giving away my competitive advantage could be construed as altruistic or benevolent?

The cat is out of the bag. You don't have to use this stuff. Other people will use it regardless of whether they like me or my motives because, yep, it represents a competitive advantage for them. Go figure.

I came here hoping to give a helpful heads-up to members of the community that have helped me out in the past and, yes, hopefully continue that relationship and receive more feedback. It costs nothing to use and doesn't even require exposing your eBay credentials.

You're right, I'm a monster. :trollface:

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

"""I came here hoping to give a helpful heads-up to members of the community that have helped me out in the past and, yes, hopefully continue that relationship and receive more feedback. It costs nothing to use and doesn't even require exposing your eBay credentials."""

You came here to promote your software which earns you a fee when folks like us use it.

This is America and Capitalism is a wonderful thing. This forum is to share thoughts and ideas regarding US coins. BST is where you want to be to promote your for profit wares. A banner ad from our hosts would also work.

• Options

I really appreciate that you keep following this thread despite the fact that it is apparently in the wrong forum.

AuctionHero is not profitable. Not by a long shot. I work on this software full-time and I lose money on it every single day of every month. It's almost as bad as the coin business!

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

Ok...you got me with the last line. :)

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no question the original post was trying to drive business to his self created snipping program. I wish the guy success but a duck is a duck.

• Options

It sounds like you have something useful to suggest. Would you mind elaborating? Any criticism you could offer can't be worse than I've already weathered here. ;)

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

So I think maybe you're the user setting off alarm bells on my phone. :D

The advanced preferences are kinda advanced and it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot. Luckily, it's easy to recover as well.

The way the watermarks work is that if you have prefetched fewer than the low number, the system will aggressively retrieve more items to get you above that low number. If it retrieves more than the high number, it will completely stop searching until you draw down the prefetched listings. While the number of listings is in between the two watermarks, the system will continuously retrieve a small quantity of items just listed so you can jump on a wicked Buy-It-Now.

You want to set the low number high enough that you never run out of listings while scanning through. The high number should be low enough that you don't have a ton of (older) listings to drain down the next time you login. My guess is that you changed your advanced preferences and now your low number is extremely low and your high number is, well, I have no idea. If you revert them to the default values using the convenient link adjacent to the preference control, everything should work better.

When you tell the system only to aggressively fetch when it has fewer than, say, 50 items, it will only retrieve a modest number of items to try to get to 50. So unless you scan just a couple items per minute, you're probably going to be disappointed with the performance. ;)

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

I tried the software briefly and entered a search item, and I got zero results. On my saved searches on eBay I had dozens of results. Maybe a better tutorial would help. If you have an instructional PDF please pm me. Just a little feedback from a new user that didn't spend a lot of time on it, but at first glance I must be missing something.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

That's a bad result for you but a great result for me, and thanks for chiming in. It gives me something to work on. ;)

If anyone here has a similar experience, please Live Chat me or just send a PM and we'll figure out how to find you in the system and look at what's up with your searches. I think I can find you, Bruce, if that really is your name, hmmm and I'll be in touch.

I will say that after you first setup a search, it takes about 10 seconds for the system to start pumping results into the app. Every time you revisit the app, results are in the cache, so it takes just a couple seconds to retrieve the current bid from eBay, etc.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

@disruptek said:
    That's a bad result for you but a great result for me, and thanks for chiming in. It gives me something to work on. ;)

If anyone here has a similar experience, please Live Chat me or just send a PM and we'll figure out how to find you in the system and look at what's up with your searches. I think I can find you, Bruce, if that really is your name, hmmm and I'll be in touch.

I will say that after you first setup a search, it takes about 10 seconds for the system to start pumping results into the app. Every time you revisit the app, results are in the cache, so it takes just a couple seconds to retrieve the current bid from eBay, etc.

Hmmm, why would I give a false name? Nothing to hide here, Just trying to give you my experience.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
  • Options

It will work the way you want. Trust me on this. It's designed to do the right thing, and it will re-sort the results and show you the freshest stuff every single time you advance a page. It's constantly fetching more -- just watch that little counter below the list of results.

I looked at your watermarks and again, the high watermark doesn't need to be so high. If you want a really fresh and snappy experience today (and tomorrow), try like 100 and 200. As long as you keep running out prematurely, keep raising the watermarks.

You've got the right idea with just 3 items per page, also. On a 13" laptop I sometimes scan with just 1 item per page. Your eye just sits right on the gallery image and you just zoom through hundreds of items per minute.

As far as the price buttons, it's a little tricky because I have to move them around on mobile devices. I haven't worked on the results cosmetics in a long time. You're probably on the right track, but let me know if you change your mind after using it awhile. I personally don't care about the price until I know the coin is nice enough to own.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, the results panels are in particular need of attention and I will at least offer an option of moving the price over nearer the gallery image.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

@BruceS said:
    Hmmm, why would I give a false name? Nothing to hide here, Just trying to give you my experience.

Just a joke; check your email. :)

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

Once it retrieves an item, it doesn't expire that item from the cache unless the listing ends. I guess you want your high watermark high if it means that during those few idle minutes, the cache fills up and then you drain it more or less completely. You want your low watermark low so that you're constantly just retrieving a small number of fresh items. I suppose you don't have to raise it if your intention is to drain the cache completely.

This is why I created these adjustable preferences. I guess I can learn a thing from users who want to use it differently than designed. I'll just have to back off on my alarms. :D

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

No, you never supply any credentials to the site, so there's no way for it to snoop on your behavior.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

I should mention that some day it might allow you to bind an eBay account. It used to support this, but I decided it was safer (and more compelling) to omit that function.

Having your eBay credentials saved in the app would let you integrate your watch list to add items faster and toast ending items, make purchases without visiting eBay, automatically track inventory or shipments or performance with different sellers, stuff like that... I am open to all kinds of ideas in this regard.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

It's trivial to snoop on clicks, but I don't see how it could help me and there about a million ways it could hurt. Users click on all kinds of stuff, so I'm not sure clicks would even be useful in aggregate.

I did experiment with making an AI to score eBay results to help identify scammy sellers. That's something aggregate click data could be useful for, but it's not even on my radar these days, to be honest.

disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options

EBay, Google and countless other sites know what your looking at and purchasing, its almost impossible to be totally anonymous in this day an age, unless you using a TOR browser and paying with bitcoin or equivalent cryptocurrency. It's a new world.

@FadeToBlack said:
    Even with clickthroughs? I know it's pretty trivial to get a site to tell you what links you're clicking.

eBay ID-bruceshort978

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file