Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If the premiums on Saints goes much lower

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

they may be paying people to take them.
I get a daily wholesale email on graded gold from Heritage and...... :*:*:*
Good grief!
There must be CONVOYS of boats full of US gold coming in from Europe.

probably shouldn't publish quote as it's not a retail price, but I'll tell you it is a bit under $1400 for PCGS 64 Saints.

:o

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

??? Retail is way lower than that...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

the market is over-inundated wit generic 20's

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 1:14PM

There are 411,038 1924 and 1927 Saints in PCGS MS62-65 grades (alone). That number, in itself, is probably close to the addressable collector population who can afford to own one. Now add in all the NGC coins, and all the other dates in both flavor slabs that are still considered common... net-net, unfortunately they are literally just becoming bullion :(

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same for $20 Libs too, no?

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

so the premium on a MS64 Saint is like $30? I remember paying a premium of like $50 for 62's 10-12 years ago.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    My bad. Should have looked closer.
    That was on 13-S saints. 40 of em.
    The generic PC64s are under 1300

:/
    But save this thread. You'll have an example of the first mistake I ever made. ;)

Couple of years ago... 64s were $1800-1900... retail... laughed when a dealer offered melt at the time

• Options

64 libs are a tad over 1500
    62 libs a tad over 1300.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold coins likely make up a disproportionate share of authenticated coins because of counterfeiting, jewelry use and other things that make the pieces less likely to be numismatically acceptable. Like any open market commodity, too many coins chasing too few buyers results in lower prices. As a practical matter, the premiums of generic $20 would be fine at half their present level -- or less.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where can you buy for $1300?? Wholesale only??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been mystified by the gold coming out of Europe. Without a political statement, except for Switzerland, I would have assumed the Nazi's would have stripped every gram of gold from every bank, safety deposit box, jewelry store, etc. Spain was devastated by Civil war, and was in a shambles.

England was broke paying us for War material, so I would doubt any significant amount was hiding there.

If all of this was in Switzerland, by the time they are done exporting it, the nation will look like Kansas.

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Okay, well, expanding the discussion, what are peoples' favorite places to buy graded MS "generic" Saints? Sounds like a fun collection to think about for people, and with little numismatic down side.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 3:58PM

Common saints remain overpriced. The gold in my cheaper common American Eagle is just as old and heavier.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    There's a huge amount of gold coming
    from a specific deal in Europe.

The word 'hoard' doesn't come close.

please, tell us more.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

But save this thread. You'll have an example of the first mistake I ever made. ;)

64 Saints at $1325-1350 make sense in the current environment. But a 13-S at $1400 sounds AWFULLY cheap at $1400. Especially with CDN at 7K!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 4:08PM

Hmm... I wonder how many of the "better" dates in the series will remain better dates and whether there are large numbers in European bank vaults too (like the generics). It reminds me a lot of the 1903-O Morgan Dollar, which at one point surpassed the rarity and value of the 1893-S... until new bags showed up.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    There's a huge amount of gold coming
    from a specific deal in Europe.

The word 'hoard' doesn't come close.

Sweet!

• Options
    edited May 30, 2017 4:48PM

@mkman123 said:
    This is good news for those of us who have never owned one.......we can get one for cheap and close to gold price to give to our kids!

Many collectors never part with their first Saint (or their first 50 Pesos).

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Percentage wise are current premiums the lowest in history? It seems generic 62-63 Saints are basically trading at melt?!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@topstuf said:

Couple of years ago... 64s were $1800-1900... retail... laughed when a dealer offered melt at the time

That WAS close to melt a few years ago, lol. I have 2 Saints, MS63 I believe. Picked one up for under $800, and the other was right at $1,000. I keep waiting for them to get back to that price before I buy a few more! Not sure it will happen though, lol

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 8:09PM

@MrEureka said:

@topstuf said:

64 Saints at $1325-1350 make sense in the current environment. But a 13-S at $1400 sounds AWFULLY cheap at $1400. Especially with CDN at 7K!

Someone sign me up for this list. Heritage must love the OP.

• Options

@topstuf said:
    64 libs are a tad over 1500
    62 libs a tad over 1300.

And their gold value is $1218

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 8:38PM

@MrEureka said:

@topstuf said:

Yeah, just don't sound right. Are 63 Saints cheaper than ML yet?

• Options
    edited May 30, 2017 9:04PM

@topstuf said:
    I am gonna shoot myself. ANOTHER wrong post. It was 1914 S :'(

lemme go recheck.

**"Today's deal is uncertified MS64 1914-S $20 Saint **

there.

maybe.

unless it was MCMVII high reliefs.

lemme check again.

ah... nope. :)

(my effin gawd.... not even CERTIFIED)

Where's the stamp store?

Just checked the e-mail. You quoted a typo. If you read further, you would have seen that the 14-S's are certified. But no need to shoot yourself.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss the days of $300 (plus or minus) gold.... sure was fun buying it then....sure is nice looking at them now... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are so many deals to be had, yet most people miss them because they're too busy on Facebook or tweeting typos.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 10:16AM

@mercurydimeguy said:
    There are 411,038 1924 and 1927 Saints in PCGS MS62-65 grades (alone). That number, in itself, is probably close to the addressable collector population who can afford to own one. Now add in all the NGC coins, and all the other dates in both flavor slabs that are still considered common... net-net, unfortunately they are literally just becoming bullion :(

Cut those numbers in half for resubmissions. I use the PCGS numbers as an estimate of ALL slabbed generics. You can just toss out NGC as they effectively represent the number of resubmissions. It's speculators and/or gold bullion investors that truly determine the price of MS62-64 Saints. I'd say less than 1-5% of all MS64's reside with a real collector such as in a gold US Type set. Despite the apparent big pops, the coins are easily promotable in grades of 64 or higher.

It's not just Saints. The premiums on EVERY piece of common MS63-66 generic gold ($1's to $20's) has collapsed. Premiums peaked in April/May 2006. Made a decent rebound in 2009. Premiums have been diving ever since....except for $20s making a brief resurgence in mid-2011 as gold reached $1800-$1900/oz. All downhill since.

When you consider ALL the above ground gold bullion out there ($4-$5 TRILL worth). The amount taken up by mint state US $20's double eagles is paltry. About 1.5 MILL PCGS slabbed twenties. Now consider, how many choice/gem 1 oz gold coins around the world still exist from the pre-1933 era? What % is that of the total $5 TRILL? 1/1,000? 1/5,000? 1/10,000? Even the US $50 1 oz AGE proofs are currently at somewhat ridiculous premiums above spot...at 8-10%. I don't recall them ever being lower. There's approx 1.7 MILL minted since 1986....the regular BU AGE's number 10X that. That's still not a lot of coins in the scheme of things when you have an entire world of demand out there. Recall, that in 2009 those proof AGE's were bringing 100% premiums to spot when gold first reached $1225/oz....$2400 per coin. If you pick anything after 1988, the mintages are quite low....for bullion only carrying an 8% premium.

What other desirable USMint made gold/silver proofs can you buy for 8% to melt? Consider that our favorite MS64 Morgan dollars sell for 3.5X to 4X their melt value...and very available. 1959-1982 circ copper Lincoln cents (1.7c) bring the same premium to metal melt as a MS66 $20 Saint (1.73x). A circ wheat penny brings a lot more.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

I'm just concerned that rough seas may jostle the Saints crossing the ocean in the trillions and getting even MORE nicked up. :'(

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely send gem gold Saints to PCGS! I don't know if they will award the PL grade but I do know MS64's and MS75's could go for thousands to serious collectors of the finest coins- depending on the rarity of the date and mint mark- (in grade and appearance). Registry gold sets are popular and the manhunt for these heafty scarce coins never cease. Please keep us informed as to your positive grading results should you choose to locate raw and submit.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past when lower grade St. Gaudens $20 gold coins were selling for close to melt or even a little less than melt, it was an indicator that gold bullion prices were too high and about to drop. Could that be the case now?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

"Enjoy Your Coins" (I didn't make that up.)

• Options

@topstuf said:

So are their prices of the pass or play type?

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Definitely send gem gold Saints to PCGS! I don't know if they will award the PL grade but I do know MS64's and MS75's could go for thousands to serious collectors of the finest coins- depending on the rarity of the date and mint mark- (in grade and appearance). Registry gold sets are popular and the manhunt for these heafty scarce coins never cease. Please keep us informed as to your positive grading results should you choose to locate raw and submit.

This entire discussion basically shows how pointless it is to send gem saints to TPGs and you still insist on spouting your nonsense? Please just stop, no one appreciates it when you comment.

• Options

Not pointless to the tens of thousands of collectors who think differently than you and do submit their Saints. Or, in YOU world, no one is allowed a different point of view?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@topstuf said:

Probably. I haven't sent any back yet and my gal and I ordered 50 of em a while back.
    Definitely not gems but as likely "non confiscatable." bullion, they make a good balance to the stack.

• Options

@topstuf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@topstuf said:

Probably. I haven't sent any back yet and my gal and I ordered 50 of em a while back.
    Definitely not gems but as likely "non confiscatable." bullion, they make a good balance to the stack.

If gold spot stayed at the same price as it was when you ordered, could you sell them readily for a profit? Were they priced right?

• Options
    edited June 1, 2017 12:01AM

MS63 Saints will soon go into the melting pot!.. :'(

• Options

@BillJones said:
    In the past when lower grade St. Gaudens $20 gold coins were selling for close to melt or even a little less than melt, it was an indicator that gold bullion prices were too high and about to drop. Could that be the case now?

When gold bullion rises sharply and people dump common gold coins, it's probably more about taking profits than about having crystal balls.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

When gold bullion rises sharply and people dump common gold coins, it's probably more about taking profits than about having crystal balls.

I can remember standing in the JJ Teaparty store when it was open in Boston years ago. They were selling circulated St. Gaudens $20 gold pieces over the counter for less than melt, and everyone I knew within my circle of collector friends figured that the gold bullion price was about to drop.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2017 8:41AM

@DancingFire said:

Only if the demand for 0.999 fine gold coins (or 100/400 oz bank bullion bars) becomes so great that the 0.90 fine classic gold coins have to make up the difference. Fwiw, the US Mint is still making 0.91% fine AGE's. The Buffs are the "pure" ones. I'd much rather have an XF/AU $20 Saint than a 1 oz. bullion bar.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@topstuf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@topstuf said:

If gold spot stayed at the same price as it was when you ordered, could you sell them readily for a profit? Were they priced right?

No I could not.
    Yes they were priced "right"....for THAT time.

I did not expect convoys of gold to be coming in from Europe.
    I was hoping Trump would keep them out. :D

• Options

@BillJones said:

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

I can remember standing in the JJ Teaparty store when it was open in Boston years ago. They were selling circulated St. Gaudens $20 gold pieces over the counter for less than melt, and everyone I knew within my circle of collector friends figured that the gold bullion price was about to drop.

I can remember buying them for $42 :o
    VERY shortly thereafter though, they were WAY up to 60 bucks.

Damn, I am an old cuss. :/

• Options

@roadrunner said:

@DancingFire said:

Only if the demand for 0.999 fine gold coins (or 100/400 oz bank bullion bars) becomes so great that the 0.90 fine classic gold coins have to make up the difference. Fwiw, the US Mint is still making 0.91% fine AGE's. The Buffs are the "pure" ones. I'd much rather have an XF/AU $20 Saint than a 1 oz. bullion bar.

LOL!..It has gotten to the point that AU - MS63 is worth the same money. Unless they can figure out what to do with truck loads of $20 coming in from Europe the spreads will not change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file