Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Bean Hypothetical ?

If you had a coin (Morgan) that was an MS 63 with a gold bean in an NGC holder, you believe it is clearly a 64 and obviously so does CAC. You are a collector, not a dealer and not out to sell it and make a $. There is a $125 price jump in the price guide going from NGC 63 to PCGS 64. 98% of your coins are in PCGS holders would you submit it to PCGS for crossover or hold onto it just because it had a gold bean?

Comments

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Mr. Jones on this one. Keep it as is.

Trade $'s
  • BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

For the reasons that Bill Jones points out, I'm keeping all holders that have gold beans as is. Besides the 8 in NGC holders I have 5 in PCGS holders and again keeping them that way.

I'm undecided about green stickers on NGC holders. I need to call CAC to see if I can get back a sticker back on a coin that has been crossed at same grade.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with BillJones... keep the gold sticker... seems to have a premium attached that a non-stickered coin (of the next grade) does not. Cheers, RickO

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 7:12AM

Keep it as is. Sell it for as much as you can and then buy a PC example :)

• PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Leave it. The gold sticker is generally more valuable than the grade up.

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@BIGAL2749 said:
    For the reasons that Bill Jones points out, I'm keeping all holders that have gold beans as is. Besides the 8 in NGC holders I have 5 in PCGS holders and again keeping them that way.

I'm undecided about green stickers on NGC holders. I need to call CAC to see if I can get back a sticker back on a coin that has been crossed at same grade.

If the cert # changes, you have to pay full fare and have them relook at it.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is a green sticker NGC and it crosses to the same grade in PCGS should it sticker?

I'm unsure. The eye appeal should be there, but the coin might be an A in the NGC holder while in the PCGS holder it could be a C.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the crazy jump in value is that a gold bean means more that a jump in grade, it also means it would green bean at the +1. So look at CAC 64s.

Also remember it doesn't cross families. There's no guarantee that a NGC 63 Green Bean will become a PCGS 63 green bean.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

People pay big premiums for Gold beans! I would leave it as is.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're willing to do that much work for $125, could you come over and install the new microwave for me? :p

• ScootersdadScootersdad Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Leave it alone

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others wrote, some people get crazy when they see a gold bean, a nice RD copper in an OGH, etc.
    Leave them alone.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only compelling reason to break out a gold bean is if you are in the Registry game and need the points.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Hard to follow as I wouldn't have only PCGS coins.

But I'd leave it be I guess.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 12:16AM

Hypothetical? I would hand the coin to Dorothy Gale and on her next trip to Oz, see if she could get an Emerald sticker applied by the other wizard.

• Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file