Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The disadvantages of aging in this hobby

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get to shop for nice coins, on my want list, from my computer at home as I'm no longer going to a job.

Since I forget to update my want list I get to own duplicates of nice coins.

This is becoming an expensive problem!

This, fortunately, was not expensive but I now have three pretty much identically toned examples....ugh

bob:(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2017 9:10PM

Have you considered selling some duplicates?

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins!?
    What coins are you talking about Bob...............................

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I get older, I seem to buy less coins... but nice one's..Of course, the lack of shows and shops in this area may have more to do with it than age... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Medicare recipients in denial.
    Hand tremors and coins dropping.
    Hand tremors holding your lens.
    Blindness.
    Incipient poverty

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    Medicare recipients in denial.
    Hand tremors and coins dropping.
    Hand tremors holding your lens.
    Blindness.
    Incipient poverty

I can't handle the truth.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

You guys are good, staying sharp in the mind at least!

bob

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

What mind are you talking about, Bob? I lost mine a long time age.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have so many duplicates I can't even tell ya. If I see a nicely tone buffalo nickel I generally purchase it. The problem is I don't get out and about as much as I did when I was younger. I think I'm ready to hire a driver :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Never, never, never, ever give in.... (Winston Churchill.. something like that)....and I have had that as a motto for most of my life.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    As I understand this, before retiring, you shopped for nice coins from your work computer. :smile:

I think most of the government employees in my state must be doing lots of online shopping sprees instead of the things I think they should be doing.

Why do you say that and in what state?

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

As I leave my 40's, I notice my eye-sight isn't what it used to be and I have much less tolerance when dealing with idiots. I've pretty much stopped dealing in half dimes, dimes and gold dollars. I also keep misplacing my coins and my magnifying glass.......well, at least I never lose my remote, it beeps so I can locate it, til my hearing starts to go.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try not to think about getting older, I like to take life day by day and enjoy what I have and learn from my mistakes as well as my successes especially in the numismatics field.

• Options

I agree, I don't dwell on it either. It's just a fact of life that things change with age and we have to adapt if at all possible. I'm very pleased to have woken this morning, I can assure you!

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I have so many duplicates I can't even tell ya. If I see a nicely tone buffalo nickel I generally purchase it. The problem is I don't get out and about as much as I did when I was younger. I think I'm ready to hire a driver :)

Kind of liking saying your back goes out ...more than you do

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I think I'm ready to hire a driver :)

Me too!

AUandAG Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭
    May 29, 2017 12:14PM

"I'm very pleased to have woken this morning, I can assure you!"

I hear ya.

• Options

I have a 94 year old neighbor that recently had a minor stroke and Dr's wont let him drive for 3 months. He just learned how to use his I phone to UBER around town.

• Options

@CharlieDontSurf said:
    I have a 94 year old neighbor that recently had a minor stroke and Dr's wont let him drive for 3 months. He just learned how to use his I phone to UBER around town.

Oooooh man, the guy was still driving at 94? That's something to put on my bucket list!

bob

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

The worst part of getting old is when people you know that are the same age as you start passing away on a regular basis.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options

I just keep acting young...and it seems to work. When someone says 'act your age', I say why? I don't feel old, so I refuse to act old. :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frequent urination (in my pants)
    Not seeing the spot or the signs.
    Blaming the long aisles at Walmart, as I pass the greeter and some air.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

......at this point, we're going to more funerals
    than weddings or Bar Mitzvahs.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icollecteverything said:
    The worst part of getting old is when people you know that are the same age as you start passing away on a regular basis.

Death is the number 1 killer in the world and don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@Icollecteverything said:

Death is the number 1 killer in the world and don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long. B)

LOL, okay, just scratched old age off the bucket list........ooops, too late.
    Now what?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 11:04AM

senile or i just cant remember where i put stuff :*

• Options
    edited May 30, 2017 11:11AM

At what age are you officially old ? What's the number?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Get off my grass. Wait, what was the question? I've fallen and can't scroll back to the top.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2017 2:24PM

@johnny9434 said:

If your old and smoke pot, your doomed to forget everything!

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being old is so sad.
    You so often discover:
    You'd forgot what you'd had
    And you just bought another. :/

Burma Shave

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) I realize that I will never be able to own a number of coins I'd like to have in the safe deposit box to look at every now and then.
    2) I realize that none of my family is interested in my coin collection, and have made arrangements to have it sold when I die.
    3) I am buying less and less, as I see very little that is up to my standards.
    4) I am not selling anything, because once it goes, I won't be able replace it, and I'm not ready to just get rid of everything and move onto something else.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not ready to quit buying and sell everything yet but I know I might get there one of these days.

Most of my better stuff has been certified in the last few years as so far none of my heirs have any interest in coins. I'm thinking they will at least be able to look up relative values prior to disposing of them if that id their wish.

In the mean time my brother-in-law says death should come as a surprise.

Sometimes I think we know more than we should about our health and what ever you do don't look up symptoms you are having on the internet.

Be thankful for each day you have and make the most of it.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Wow... I am not going to come back to this thread.... with all this doom and gloom I may start to feel old.... Lots to do and no time to waste... having way too much fun. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am fighting back. Being in decent health and feeling unfulfilled next week I start work again. For the last 20 years I've been self employed, free as a lark with no schedule or "leadership". Next week, I start work doing what I done 42 years ago.......Greenskeeper at a local golf course. I'm looking forward to some genuine hard work, hoping it brings back some youth in me. A golf course at 6 AM, as seen from the seat of a 5 reel fairway mower....is a beautiful and serene place. If all goes well over the season, I am taking the Rutgers three week turf management short course. Then, hopefully, next year, age 63, back on the job full time working toward an assistant superintendent position. Age will NOT get me. I'm NOT going down without a fight dammit.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Ricko - Don't go away - Unlike the doom and gloomers around here, I'm like you. I'm having too much fun to worry about falling apart. Let's see, how do I keep busy - working part-time for one of the major auction houses, Treasurer of a couple of numismatic organizations (including my state association), Manager of the local Bowling Association (I still carry a 225 average in my old age), volunteer at my local church, Treasurer of my Homeowners Association, and, of course, doing all my own yard work. Also, with the kids out of the house and the mortgage just about gone, I'm able to add more goodies to my collection than I could have ever dreamed about years ago. On top of that, at my last annual physical, my doctor actually said that if all his patients were as boring as me, he would have to find another line of work. So, OPA, sorry your short old age, cause I'm having a ball.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@johnny9434 said:

sometimes i dont want to remember anything (like relatives) >:)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 1:05PM

I'm not old but I'm not really young, either. I fall squarely in the middle. I believe that a positive mental attitude is better than anything. I have been around the hobby for many years and I see more benefits than negatives. I have been able to buy coins that I could NEVER replace and will very likely upgrade, if I ever get around to it. I have had my coins appreciate a lot over what I've paid for them. I have gained a TON of knowledge and friends. I have a lot of cool older holders. I have many fond memories. I have built a set that I am proud of that took YEARS. I get to study and hold historical, beautiful, national treasures in my hands. I feel that I still have a lot of good years ahead, even in spite of what I've already accomplished . I still don't need bifocals, as my eyes are still pretty decent. Life is good.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 10:17AM

Actually, you have forgotten for how long you have already forgotten it.
    I notice a semiotic joke in using "your" instead of "you're". >:)

sometimes i dont want to remember anything (like relatives) >:)

Cannabis oil is legally available by mail because it has no intoxicant.
    One of Its primary virtues is relief of anxiety.

1) Spike their drinks
    2) Spike your drink
    3) Spark a bone

I gave my mom three tokes for her first try in her early sixties. Sat there silently for an hour and a half and then asked "What's it supposed to do"

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file