Home Precious Metals

Question on JM Republic Bank of NY bar

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 19, 2017 7:18PM in Precious Metals

Found this in an envelope along with a postcard I sent my grandmother in 1989. Curious to know if there's more here than melt value. Serial number is 001892. That's a pretty low number right? It's at least 30 years old.

Cheers and thanks,

Az.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent completed eBay auctions would indicate a price range of around $1,650 - $1,700. Nice bullion bar.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

You sent your grandmother an ounce of gold for her birthday?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol what? I found an envelope, and in it contained a gold bar in a small plastic bag as well as a postcard I had sent her as a boy.

@OPA Thanks. I think it's pretty neat. Gorgeous strike and the mirroring is incredible. I love the color. Its edges are still sharp when held in hand, the rim all nice nothing banged or notched or scratched. Nice sharp edges and doesn't slide in my palm. Crisp.

Oh and here we go.

"This Gold bar was made by Johnson Matthey for Republic National Bank of New York and originally sold to investors after U.S. Gold restrictions were lifted in 1975. This Gold bar is an excellent way to diversify ones portfolio with collectible bullion."

That's pretty cool. So this was like first edition gold of 1975?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!!

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gold 1 oz. piece.... Cheers, RickO

Hey @ricko! Didn't know you came around these parts too. =)

The bar is up in BST for $1525 and free shipping.

I don't know how true it is but I read an auction snippet that the first 2000 of these were given to investors to restore confidence. I can't find it now. Where would I dig up information from the source?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens ...Yep...been over here for years and years..... I would try with google and use various phrases... I shotgun my initial research and usually end up with some good information. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool bar!

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool bar yes, I picked up one recently.
    You will have to find a buyer that prefers a low serial number over a Gold is Gold buyer.
    APMEX still has them for sale.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2017 10:15PM

The reality is,it's a no premium bar, not sealed, nor a low serial number, it's a decent example though and sometimes on eBay one gets lucky with those who don't realize that raw in many situations, doesn't mean rare...
    A half oz sealed, 000--- bar went for 7...

keceph `anah