Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you loyal to one TPG? Or does it matter?

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I find myself searching specifically for PCGS. NGC or ANACS far less so. And I always have that idea of cross to PCGS in the back of my mind when considering purchasing a coin.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I am looking at coins, the slab is not a qualifying point... other than I know the PCGS slabbed coin will be a bit more expensive. For me, it is the coin ... whether slabbed or raw....and there are some really nice raw coins available in the antique shops around here.... have not seen any slabbed coins, however, they think anything before 1960 must be rare and worth at least a house.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer one of the top two over the other, but the coin inside is what really matters.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm slightly prejudice but wouldn't jump off the bridge if that certain TPG did.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

I do tend to favor one TPG over the other depending on what series I am collecting. I also like raw coins. I do find that NGC is a bit more accommodating. As far as the slabs themselves - I like both PCGS and NGC, not so much ANACS, although there are some pretty nice deals out there for ANACS slabbed coins.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 7:26AM

A coin carries its own credentials. TPGs issue an opinion of authenticity and a separate one of "grade" that is advertised as objective and dispassionate.

An astute collector uses the TPG opinion as part of his/her research before buying a coin.
    (For high-end perspective on this, re-read some of the posts of member Tradedollarnut.)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was looking at a 1799 dollar in an "old" holder. The coin was 200 years old and the holder was 30 years old. As collectors we have to remember what we are collecting....and with few exceptions, it isn't plastic.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wallet has PCGS stamped on it when buying, after buying several altered coins in other slabs back in the wild days.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone should know that you buy the coin and not the plastic, but the question was are you loyal to me TPG.

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

I agree with all of the sentiments regarding the coin being more important than the grade and holder type, but I would rather all of my coins have to same holder type because I think it looks more attractive that way. The PCGS grading system corresponds closer to my personal grading than does NGC and I would prefer for my coins to have close to accurate grades. I also have always gotten a more "professional" vibe from PCGS, and I like the way PCGS holders look and the fluid functionality of their Set Registry and the use of Trueviews.

Additionally, if I am considering grade as a factor, I find it more prestigious to have a highly graded PCGS coin than a highly graded NGC coin, as for many coins it is more difficult to get a higher PCGS grade. Take a look at the D. Moore sale, for example, or at the populations and price guide values for modern US business strike coins in MS67-MS69 vs NGC.

That being said, if I see a coin I like that is graded by NGC, I will buy it. The coin is more important than the grade or the holder, but best case scenario I would rather it be in a PCGS holder.

• Options

Totally agree @You !

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like PCGS because of the market preference in terms of price and liquidity. I will still buy NGC coins. in fact, i think you can get better value as a result of market preference for PCGS.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have payed it up for different plastic, NGC white 2.0 holders, David Hall flips, Blanchard Holders, Paramount Coin Co, etc. Since my registry set is with PCGS I buy them the most... but if the coin looks good I don't care if its in a ICG slab.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not everyone follows the buy-the-coin-not-the-holder adage.

Obviously, I want the coins I have to have a look and quality that appeals to me, whatever (or whether) the holder. But I also want there to be a market when/if I want to sell. There simply are more people out there who buy PCGS because of the status/reputation/marketability factor, and are less likely to look at coins in other holders.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS only.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never used to drink kool aid......still don't. I like both NGC and PCGS. I wish that I could display my full registry set on at least one side of the street.....can't anymore. But I am still content with just the top two TPGS only, as a really good Walker is too difficult to otherwise disqualify and/or pass up. I never buy ANACS, PCI, ICG, etc., etc.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

I am working on several PCGS registry sets. I have only bought PCGS for the last two years.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I smoke an excellent, tender Texas style brisket. I suppose if the brisket were a coin it would be considered 'doctored!'

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you looked inside my SDB, of the slabbed coins, almost all are in our host's holders. I don't feel particularly loyal though. If my estimation of the "best" TPG evolves over time, so will my purchasing habits. I don't like the idea of a developing monopoly.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 12:31PM

PCGS when it's time to sell.

And FWIW I do like all my coins in one holder. I'm pretty sure they are all in PCGS holders as of now.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

PCGS only for me these days

I don't even bother searching the others, I'm sure some gems and some deals escape me, but it's the truth, and it is what it is.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    Not everyone follows the buy-the-coin-not-the-holder adage.

Obviously, I want the coins I have to have a look and quality that appeals to me, whatever (or whether) the holder. But I also want there to be a market when/if I want to sell. There simply are more people out there who buy PCGS because of the status/reputation/marketability factor, and are less likely to look at coins in other holders.

If the coin is all there, the plastic can be changed. It may take a few tries, but it will eventually end up in your preferred plastic.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS for my US coins, and NGC for my non-US and ancients; simply for uniformity and consistency.

Steve

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer starting with the coin in PCGS holders. However, I'm starting to consider buying other slabbed coins and crossing them for some items that aren't readily available.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really have no preference. And I will never feed the beast to get my coins into any particular holder. However, with that said, being that I collect mostly Dahlonega gold most all the coins that I see that interest me are in PCGS holders or raw. NGC has really screwed the pooch when it comes to southern gold over the past decade.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like raw coins. It's a bad habit and a good hobby. I use PCGS 99% of the time, and sometimes (mostly) I agree with them.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS for their registry set. I don't have too strong of opinions about either company's grading. I do mostly world coins, and I'll rarely have a choice about which TPG to use. I am usually just happy to find the coin I am looking for. It's not like many US coins where there are loads of options from all of the TPGs.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS. NGC's slabs are horrible and take away from the coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

i do like pcgs but as long as i like the coin theres no preference.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I like both.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, MOC!! This must be like your 4th time rolling the Washington ball up that hill!

Nobody has a better eye for those things. B)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2017 4:47AM

My choice is PCGS. They are the market leader, their coin facts tool and inventory manager vital to my business.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

I buy the coin not the holder.

Sadly, you most often pay a price on resale.

I have started gravitating to RAW coins and GSA Morgan's for the hobby aspect.

PCGS gets my vote unless you are talking crack outs and upgrades.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS (duh) but I find some great ANACS coins occasionally which I cross over. I especially like the older small white ANACS slabs. Some nice material out there if you dig around.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Let me be dumb:
    I choose only PCGS OGH with CAC sticker, else I pass, don't even look at the coin!

Reality: use the TPG opinion, own knowledge and the characteriatics of the coin to make a buying decision.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody's plastic comes off once I own it anyway so why would I care whose logo was originally on the label?

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

All of mine are in PCGS holders to keep the collection consistent. They bring more and most high end NGC coins wind up in PCGS for a cross over but NGC seems to be a grade lower or more.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I want to have all my coins in PCGS holders. When buying I'd look for PCGS, NGC and ANACS.

Last year when they had a collectors club special on crossovers, I tried to cross all my non-PCGS coins to PCGS.
    Of course not all of them made it, so they remain in their original holders.

I want my type set to be consistent and I think the look and feel of PCGS slabs are superior. And I've drank enough of the Kool-aid to think PCGS coins have a better resale value.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am loyal to two third party graders, PCGS and NGC. I am less loyal to NGC after they ended the inclusion of PCGS coins their registry. I had a lot of fun building the sets over there with historical write-ups and pictures of every coin. Completing the sets was made easier because I didn't have to restrict my purchases to one brand. Now that that is over, I will make no special effort to buy NGC coins so that I can put them on their registry. That would be rewarding them for a decision that I do not support.

I still buy the coin in the NGC or PCGS holder, but now I find myself pulled more and more in the PCGS direction.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file