Home U.S. Coin Forum

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    @nwcoast
    Not quite the treasure find that nwcoast got in October, but the biggest find that I ever had.

Most know that there 3 Coin Star machines within a 1,5 block distance that I hit daily on my way to feeding stray cats at the Home Depot. But yesterday my wife said that she had a taste for pizza for lunch. She ordered and I went to pick them up, on the way were those same 3 Coin Stars, so I decided to check..

The Mexican store was empty, next was Nob-Hill. Well the return was so stuffed, I could barely get my hand in. Pulling out some of the change I saw mostly corroded pennies. They looked so bad, I thought about leaving, but I put them in my pocket and grabbed another hand full, and saw silver. It took about 6,7, 8 handfuls to finish... Getting home, after washing up and eating, I went back to the coins.

Wow, with all the pennies, I did not realize just how much silver there was!

Obviously, some kid swiped Grandpa stash...

51 silver dimes total! All dates were from 1950 to 1955 with 1 outlier a 1957 and 3 Mercury dimes. I removed the corroded pennies and there were ~60 wheat cents. 1 1927 Canadian Nickel.

I thanked my wife and gave her full credit for wanting pizza that this time! Hard to believe, but yet true!!!

That's incredible!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    @nwcoast
    Not quite the treasure find that nwcoast got in October, but the biggest find that I ever had.

Most know that there 3 Coin Star machines within a 1,5 block distance that I hit daily on my way to feeding stray cats at the Home Depot. But yesterday my wife said that she had a taste for pizza for lunch. She ordered and I went to pick them up, on the way were those same 3 Coin Stars, so I decided to check..

The Mexican store was empty, next was Nob-Hill. Well the return was so stuffed, I could barely get my hand in. Pulling out some of the change I saw mostly corroded pennies. They looked so bad, I thought about leaving, but I put them in my pocket and grabbed another hand full, and saw silver. It took about 6,7, 8 handfuls to finish... Getting home, after washing up and eating, I went back to the coins.

Wow, with all the pennies, I did not realize just how much silver there was!

Obviously, some kid swiped Grandpa stash...

51 silver dimes total! All dates were from 1950 to 1955 with 1 outlier a 1957 and 3 Mercury dimes. I removed the corroded pennies and there were ~60 wheat cents. 1 1927 Canadian Nickel.

I thanked my wife and gave her full credit for wanting pizza that this time! Hard to believe, but yet true!!!

That’s a GREAT score Joe!
    Gotta love it! Pizza too!

Congratulations :-)

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, great find. There only 2 CoinStar machines in my area that I'm aware of. I do check them when i go past them. I found some loose change in, but no silver. I just don't understand how people don't check the coin return drawer. I guess they in in too big of a hurry to look there. Nice find.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dry as a bone for me, at least for over a year.

I've tried different strategies. Using my right hand, using my left hand, closing my eyes and then feeling around the reject slot, etc. Nothing seems to work. 🤔

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two Jefferson nickels and two Memorial pennies this week. Still staying retired though!

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Dry as a bone for me, at least for over a year.

I've tried different strategies. Using my right hand, using my left hand, closing my eyes and then feeling around the reject slot, etc. Nothing seems to work. 🤔

maybe you are not holding your tongue in the proper position.

One clad dime.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

A French Euro cent dated 2014.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night’s finds: 1 cent at one coinstar, and 89 cents at another plus 12 cents on the ground for a total of $1.02.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dhikewhitney said:
    1946 silver dime plus assorted coins

Nice, first year of issue... P or D?

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 420 ✭✭✭

1946 P
    I do my share of buying, but finding silver makes this hobby fun.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clad dime and 2c Euro today.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Yesterday I tried my hand at a vending machine, putting $3.15 in it . I hit the change back button, but I only got a $1.05 back. It wouldn't give me any more. :/ I had to go to the front desk to get my money back, and someone got a free soda. I feel blessed to get my money back.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

edited February 1, 2024 5:00PM

Alright, February 1st, nice start, nice haul, 3 silver dimes, 1 64D and 2 63D's. and pocket full of change... At the top are two coins stuck together...

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never found a coin at the "Star". But probably due to I only see one infrequently. Maybe I should scan the parking lot more intently on the way in/out of the Walmart. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did two different coin stars on Thursday.
    The one at the credit union yielded a clad quarter and the grocery store yielded 3 quarters of which one was Canadian and the other 2 were clad. No silver.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

1 clad dime, but hope remains!

edited February 4, 2024 1:09PM

Today: Two tries yielded two zincolns.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good show. My coin star is empty all day, everyday.
    I can't remember the last time I found silver. I'm due!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@DCW
    Good luck, consistency will pay off in the long run...

Today’s find: not at a coinstar, but at one of those similar coin counters at publix. This was all by itself under the machine and beats my oldest Canadian nickel that I had found by 16 years.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1st PRC coin.
    Found at a QFC yesterday.
    It was with 2 U.S. quarters I left

t ...

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

edited February 25, 2024 10:50AM

Last week’s find. Kind of PL.

@Joe_360 said:
    1st find for March Sunday the 3rd, 1964-D. I have to mention this, I have now found silver in the Coin Star 18 months straight! The last time that I did not find silver was November 2022 (most all document here). I hope to keep this streak going!

That’s great, I usually check twice or more weekly, but I only found four silvers last year and one so far this year. You must have a good area.

@OnWithTheHunt said:
    Jackpot today. Nearly $2.50 in small, and I mean small, change, nothing bigger than a dime US, a couple of Canadian dimes, a quarter with Queen Elizabeth on the obverse from the East Caribbean States, (never heard of it). Had to scoop 4 times to get it all. Oh yeah, 3 of the US dimes were silver.

What were the dates on the silvers?

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 7:31PM

@CRHer700 said:

@OnWithTheHunt said:
    Jackpot today. Nearly $2.50 in small, and I mean small, change, nothing bigger than a dime US, a couple of Canadian dimes, a quarter with Queen Elizabeth on the obverse from the East Caribbean States, (never heard of it). Had to scoop 4 times to get it all. Oh yeah, 3 of the US dimes were silver.

54P 62D, 63D

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

@OnWithTheHunt said:

@CRHer700 said:

@OnWithTheHunt said:

54P 62D, 63D

Nice, I haven’t found a 54-P yet.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

joe_360: Does your Jan 20th find qualify as a "KEY date"?! :o;)

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

So far in 2024: I found a Canadian ‘Loon” dollar, 2 circ common Mercs, 4 video game tokens, and 6 modern foreign small change.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file