Home Precious Metals

Specific goals?

I have a goal of acquiring a total of 20 ounces of mixed sizes U.S. Gold Eagles. I am 80% done, and should be finished with this goal by mid summer. What are some of your specific PM goals?

Comments

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

More PM's of any type, shape, size or denomination. Or color.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have long since given up on goals in stacking (not in life, however). Now I just get what I like, or take a good deal when presented. Cheers, RickO

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 short term goals:
    1: (20) 5 Oz JM Silver bars
    2: Complete $2.50 PCGS Indian Set

Loves me some shiny!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

10K ASEs

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me to just continually stack as it's possible. :)

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm caught up and/or have completed two of my bullion series goals and I'm closing in on the third. Once that's done, I don't know what's next, yet. Maybe a set of 1/2 oz AGEs.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear ya, Jmski: I love the half ounce size in all makes and models.

Collected a few when I got my dream sports coupe (to keep the ash tray happy).

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • creekdaltoncreekdalton Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Short term goal - Complete set of 2008 W Proof Gold Buffalos. I only have the lowest mintage(12,169 struck) 1/2 oz. Black Diamond so far.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 3:48PM

Only to purchase items (coins or bullion) for a short term profit ( 1 year max). Not interested in accumulating for the long term.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short goal = work work work :smile:
    Long term goal = work and have fun :smile:
    Hopefully coins are involved in both :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

One ton.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    One ton.

Any math experts here that can calculate how many Troy ounces this is?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

29,193 and some change.

edited March 21, 2017 5:43PM

I like doing a "collection" of bullion coins, as long as I can get most of them at reasonable premiums in 69 or 70 grades. It's still bullion no matter what else happens to the collecting market, and bullion is where it's at!!

If you go that route with (slabbed bullion), it does become important not to accept overgraded coins, just as it is important with classic coins. I've found that there are massive grading inconsistancies even with the "top tier" TPGs. Just a word of caution. I just had a 1/2 oz Plat come back as MS-66 from the original slab which was originally an MS-69.

So be selective, or make sure the premium is dirt cheap. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty content with my silver holdings, but I'll still buy if it's something I like. Trying to get more gold now but my oldest daughter is getting married next May. Lately my PM money has been allocated for banquet halls, gowns and cake.

• SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I too, am starting to get content with my silver stack

Just leans to improvement on the other stacks to be
    Liberty Head Double Eagles in pcgs MS63 and above seem to be my new "thing" (added 6 in total in a very short time)
    I only have a few pamp 1/2 oz platinum bars, though I've toyed with the idea of the pamp palladium and rhodium bars, too distracted with the LH DE

• SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I think I'm in love ❤️

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

1000oz silver of all gov issue stuff - libertads, ASE, kooks, etc
    $250 face silver with some numi goals inside for my half dollar roll projects
    Gold in some coin/bullion from every continent (done unless Antarctica gets a mint)
    Then more gold

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Continue to accumulate gold/silver/plat U.S. Mint issues.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

For me I want to start working on specific goals for my daughters. I always hear about people who inherit something from their family members and want to do something for my daughters.

I want each to have 50 morgans and peace dollars, 100 FV 90% mixed, and 1 oz total of gold.
    For myself, continually add to the stack monthly (silver eagles and 90%)

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

These are all nice goals :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

I'm tempted to start collecting Modern Gold Commems, since hardly anyone else in the whole world is collecting them. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I'm tempted to start collecting Modern Gold Commems, since hardly anyone else in the whole world is collecting them. :)

Sounds like a good reason not to.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmski52 said:

Many modern gold commems can be bought at near melt value so there's very little downside risk compared to buying any other form of gold bullion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmski52 said:

Many modern gold commems can be bought at near melt value so there's very little downside risk compared to buying any other form of gold bullion.

also a cheap bullion play, just be sure you are aware of exactly how much gold you are buying be it the $5 or the $10 coin.

Even the least desirable of the modern gold commems would be somewhat appealing if they came in standardized weights IMO. People like 1/4 and 1/2....not .24 and .48.

edited March 23, 2017 5:52PM

@Geckster109 said:
    Even the least desirable of the modern gold commems would be somewhat appealing if they came in standardized weights IMO. People like 1/4 and 1/2....not .24 and .48.

1/2 oz. .9999 gold spouses at the right price are also a good bullion play. with ebay bonus buck offers they can sometimes be had for less than spot.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmski52 said:

The thin collector base also assures that the coins mostly won't appreciate in value unless spot goes up.

edited March 23, 2017 7:39PM

The thin collector base also assures that the coins mostly won't appreciate in value unless spot goes up.

Thus insuring that there won't be large premiums when acquiring them.

On the other hand, since nobody collects them, they will mostly be melted when spot does reach a certain level. Then, collecting them will be impossible and the demand of 10 collectors will put a major squeeze on the total supply of the 3 remaining coins in existence. Why not collect them while it's still relatively easy?

Every dog has its day.

See how easily it can be rationalized?

A gold content of .24187 oz doesn't seem to detract from the collectability of classic Quarter Eagles.

Plenty of time to consider the options.

I knew it would happen.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, jmski52.

This collector backwater (along with the plats and the First Spouses) stirs no collector interest now. And if they were plastic Chuck E. Cheese tokens, I could see why people would say their low mintages signal future as well as current disdain.

But given the inevitable back and forth of PM prices, their PM content is likely to draw new and energized attention to those series and generate a numismatic bonus value whenever times and circumstances spark renewed interest in PMs generally.

I would normally warn off anyone (who I liked, anyway) following my investment decisions. But smoetimes, being a contrarian pays off.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goals...

Add, subtract, offset through trade and meet some very interesting people in the process.

I do however have this crazy idea regarding twenty boxes of twenty but only a handfull will be PM related...

It's all about what the people want...

Hmmmmm, 20 boxes of 20.....I like that idea :smile: