Home U.S. Coin Forum

Things people THOUGHT would matter, but really don't....

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Companion thread to Gazes "Next big thing that matters".

My candidate for something someone THOUGHT would matter, but doesn't:

Presidential dollars, "Pos A" vs. "Pos B" for the edge lettering. Why is anyone spending time caring? :)

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 8:11PM

Secure Plus o:)

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Full head of SLQ but pancake strike on shield
    Full horn of buffalo nickel but pancake strike on the rest of bison

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

They needed a break from operating on a hope and prayer on the Spouse coins.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sticker on a Gem NGC 19th century type coin will keep you safe.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full steps.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

RB vs BN designation on toned copper

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graded bullion -- especially high-mintage silver (i.e., the American Silver Eagle).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

A centered S mint mark on an 1897-S Barber Quarter.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, it was large and small date 1960 Lincoln cent mania.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full torch, full steps, full bell lines

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint mark varieties.

Never really picked up steam, even with classic coins.

Also minor double dies have never really cought on, though big ones like the 1c 1955 DDO will always be popular.

I think that plus grades may fall by the wayside eventually as grading either moves toward more technical (decimal grading) or more nontechnical (surfaces, luster, originality)

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard Pedigrees

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

A little different, but the coins in the later years of the America the Beautiful series.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor double die varieties.

All glory is fleeting.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 11:57AM

$3750 for an unopened 2011 five coin box, 5 oz . Was crazy in the day, Mint price was $1550 for five sets, sold @ $3750. I could not get enough 2011 ATB sets to sell to dealers.. 2011 release sells for about cost, now. Coins are dated 2010, took to 2011 to sell 'em. 1tommy could comment. He stood in line for these in Illinois?

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern " toned" Lincolns or State quarters

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Green 30 Anniversary labels.
    Lance.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Idon't think anyone mentioned full head (insert preferred body part).

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dogwood said:

Really? Aw shucks, I thought I had something there!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icollecteverything said:
    copper bullion

Totally agree. Bullion is a term reserved for precious metals and copper is definitely not a precious metal. Most people know this and buy copper bars and rounds as a novelty especially considering that copper bars and rounds are priced far more than their melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2017 6:14AM

The 1965 "dot cent." There were no mint marks on coins dated 1965, but somebody figured out or claimed that 1965 cents that had a "dot" or small die defect on the reverse were minted by the Denver Mint. There were ads in the trade papers for this thing that would "fill the 1965-D hole in your cent album." The whole thing was dead before the end of the decade, and I doubt that any one here has ever heard of it.

Another promotion was the claim that the cent in the 1975-S Proof cent had the lowest mintage since the 1914-D. I remember a couple of "dealer sharpies" who were in a local club battling over a 1975-S Proof set in the club auction. The cent had to be "perfect" to be worth the speculator money. Of no one thought the fact that virtually 100% of the 1975-S cents continued to exist while 90% (using Coin Facts estimates) of the 1914-D cents have gone to "numismatic heaven."

Another group of hot items were silver bars in the 1970s. Some people were crazy over them. All of them were issued by private mints that could put anything they wanted on them. There were "limited edition" and "error bars" that brought premium prices. I am sure that there are still a few people who collect them, but the days of big premiums for the "rarities" are gone. I still have one for "Martha Mitchell, the queen of Watergate."

Martha was the wife of the attorney general, John Mitchell, who was involved up to his eye balls in the scandal. He became the first and only attorney general who would got to prison for his crimes. It seemed that Martha wanted to blow the lid off the scandal, but there was a well publicized incident where Martha was calling a reporter. Someone was said to have put a hand over her mouth and slammed the phone down. It was said that Martha was put on sort of a "house arrest" to keep her quiet.

Before this Martha was noted for calling up politicians, most Democrats, late at night and given them a earful of her right wing views. John and Martha Mitchell got divorced, and John didn't have nice things to say about her after their break-up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Perfect 70 graded moderns at sky high prices (a losing proposition over the long term)
      Plus grading is too arbitrary to invest that much money in a common coin.

2. Getting the absolute lowest mintage first spouse commemorative (nobody cares except the flippers)

3. Almost any US Mint Issue (Proof Sets and Mint Sets lead the list) ... but add to that badly designed modern commems.

JMHO

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

One Big "Agree" here also with most everything. Oh...what ever happened to MAC coins?

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expected more debate and dissent on tradedollarnut's suggestion: "Strike"

Thoughts: I like a good strike, given the choice! Maybe when you are talking "high end", preservation is so much more important, that the strike is more or less ignored? But in the "AU World" I live in, where there is plenty of choice, I certainly consider strike important.....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2017 2:33PM

@CCDollar said:
    One Big "Agree" here also with most everything. Oh...what ever happened to MAC coins?

CC

The MAC people continue to peddle their wares online and few (if any others) care. I have never heard of the MAC people buying one of their stickered coins. In my humble opinion, it is largely a meaningless self-sticker operation.

Have you ever heard of a collector caring about a full strike beak Washington quarter? I haven't.

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those who were around, how about Hallmark Coin Grading Service (HCGS). I think this was late 1980s or early to mid-1990s (?).

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper with numbers on them same paper just bigger numbers and people will kill over it. :/

Hoard the keys.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

Thoughts: I like a good strike, given the choice! Maybe when you are talking "high end", preservation is so much more important, that the strike is more or less ignored? But in the "AU World" I live in, where there is plenty of choice, I certainly consider strike important.....

Yah but there was a day when NO 1877 trade dollars were certified ms65 at Pcgs - because they almost always come with partly flat stars. Now there's an ms66 with partly flat stars. The trend is irrefutable

• DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Any modern coins graded PR/MS69/70. The owners of these coins will be in for a rude awakening when he/she decides to sell.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT

AT coins in problem holders still sell for enough money to encourage doctors.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dogwood said:

I still think this is marginally relevant

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some excellent contributions here.... most can be designated 'fad' interests.... Sure, some flippers made money on them, now the buyers are buried. OGH's are currently in demand... this too will fade. I also predict that, with the skills of current coin doctors and the abundance of 'assisted tarnish', this market will also decline. I am not saying 'originality' will fade as desirable... just the blatant artificial colors. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

As type collector or anything else, the strike is extremely important. I would rather have a well struck coin, for the issue, than an extra grading point .

Sometimes you have to accept the nature of the coin involved and accept the coin for what it is. This true for the early half dimes. Some of them always show strike weakness in one form or another. I've learned that with the 1854-O Three Dollar Gold Piece, which has interested me at a certain level.

As for slippage in grading standards, TDN has a point. Strike becomes more important as you go up the Mint State grading scale.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing

• boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

Much of what has already been stated: first strike, signed labels, graded bullion of any nationality, MAC stickers (CAC to some extent). However, I feel that full bell lines, full torch, full band, full head, etc are very important. Would you buy a coin of the same date and mint with an awfully weak strike for the same money as one that has an amazingly sharp strike? Of course you wouldn't. Anyone who says FBL, FT, FB, FH are not important and do not denote a stronger price point, I'll BUY ALL THOSE YOU HAVE DESIGNATED FOR REGULAR PRICE :)

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boyernumismatics said:
    Much of what has already been stated: first strike, signed labels, graded bullion of any nationality, MAC stickers (CAC to some extent). However, I feel that full bell lines, full torch, full band, full head, etc are very important. Would you buy a coin of the same date and mint with an awfully weak strike for the same money as one that has an amazingly sharp strike? Of course you wouldn't. Anyone who says FBL, FT, FB, FH are not important and do not denote a stronger price point, I'll BUY ALL THOSE YOU HAVE DESIGNATED FOR REGULAR PRICE :)

Wholesale price or retail price? It makes a big difference on this type of material.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2017 9:00AM

@boyernumismatics said:

+1000

I'd gladly pay retail and then some for anyone who has a Jefferson nickel with FS on some of the extremely tough dates ex. 53-s, 60-d, 61-d, 65-70, etc.

ETA - Same goes for roosie dimes for that matter.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boyernumismatics said:

Then why did you disagree about 30th anniversary labels? You find them important but signed labels aren't?
    Lance.

• boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

@boyernumismatics said:

Then why did you disagree about 30th anniversary labels? You find them important but signed labels aren't?
    Lance.

I wouldn't say they're important, rather, different and more "nostalgic looking" and "attractive" than whatever other labels are out there. My sales reflect my claims...just saying.

@291fifth said:

@boyernumismatics said:

Wholesale price or retail price? It makes a big difference on this type of material.

In most cases, I'd be glad to pay full retail for FS Jeffs, FBL Franks, FB Mercs, etc. Sell em to me at wholesale non FS, FBL, FB and we can enter a high dollar business relationship until we die. Of course, this goes by a case-by-case basis. IF ANYONE HAS A 1945 P FB GRADED MERCURY DIME PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL PAY $50 ON THE SPOT...LOL> @MACGE1 said:

@boyernumismatics said:

+1000

I'd gladly pay retail and then some for anyone who has a Jefferson nickel with FS on some of the extremely tough dates ex. 53-s, 60-d, 61-d, 65-70, etc.

ETA - Same goes for roosie dimes for that matter.

Yes indeed!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file