Home U.S. Coin Forum

1914-S Buffalo Nickel lamination error..?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 25, 2017 7:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Good morning to all!

I came across this 1914-S Buffalo Nickel.

I believe it's a lamination...? The metal is bent and folded over where it was struck and some stray pieces are forced into the coin.

Just curious if this adds or detracts from the value, and what grade it might be or what it may be worth.

Cheers and thank you again ladies and gents. Hope you're enjoying your Saturday morning!

• A

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Morning to you too. To me, that looks PMD (Post Mint Damage). It looks pretty cool, actually. I'm no expert but I think it would take away from it's value? When I first glanced at it I thought it was similar to that one I seen on the forum slabbed by our Host. In which is truly valued more because of its appearance. I think crazyhounddog , (Joe) had in his collection? :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say slabbed by our host you mean graded and put in a holder by PCGS right? They're good folk. Always liked them over everyone else.

How do I search for the one that you speak of?

I took a break from the coin game 1990-2013, so I'm kind of rusty. Boy I wish we had Google when I was a kid.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the one I have..And it's lamination.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    When you say slabbed by our host you mean graded and put in a holder by PCGS right? They're good folk. Always liked them over everyone else.

How do I search for the one that you speak of?

I took a break from the coin game 1990-2013, so I'm kind of rusty. Boy I wish we had Google when I was a kid.

Yeah, I'm trying to find it for 'ya. Yes, PCGS is the best worldwide, hands down! If you're going to slab it, make it PCGS.
    I'm pretty sure the coin I'm talking about is a double strike Buffalo in the PCGS Holder?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@grip said:
    Looks like the one I have..And it's lamination.

Cool thanks! Do you mind posting pictures of yours?

Fixed the autocorrect thanks for pointing that out (lamentation lol).

I've got another one on an 1883 nickel, from 11:00-5:00, and a really nice MS red-brown wheat cent. I remember them being really popular in new England in the late 80s early 90s. They were everywhere, but for moon money.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I deleted the picture from my HD.

Bacon eggs pancakes and coffee are ready. I hope you all have a fantastic day. Thank you again for this great forum PCGS.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Classic example of lamination and it looks like it is still peeling.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson said:
    Classic example of lamination and it looks like it is still peeling.

yeah what he said.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a lamination to me. It is very unattractive and the lamination probably greatly cuts the value of the coin unless you can find a "live one" who thinks such defects are cool and is willing to pay a premium.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure a lamination. And a nice one it is.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is a lamination for sure.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe that is lamination. A larger image would help. Back in the day the mint was purchasing the nickel alloy from outside vendors and the recipe was not correct or they just did a bad job. At any rate the planchets were plagued with this problem of lamination. This can also be seen by the streaking on many buffalo nickels from the early years.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a 16-s Buff with the same problem.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the lamination verdict.... it is a significant example though... quite prominent. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file