Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Red, Red-Brown, or Brown?

When it comes to US copper what is your preference?

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2017 5:24AM

Brown, toned.
    Tyvm.

Edit: Welcome!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I'm primarily an early Lincoln and matte proof collector so my answer is Red for some and Red-brown for others depending on toning. Brown does not do it for me.

Welcome to the boards! You need to give your answer as well...

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Toned RB....

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like red but would consider red/brown and nicely toned brown for some of the rarer issues.

Red is so dang unstable that paying an ultra premium for it kind of concerns me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer red but for affordability reasons my large cents are brown, my early IHC's are RB (later years, RD) and my Lincoln wheaties are almost entirely red.

I haven't had a single slabbed red cent change color in 20+ years. Proper storage helps, I'm sure.
    Lance.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deep chocolate brown with hints of toning

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on the dates. For earlier dates, Brown. Middle dates, brown and red/brown. Modern dates Red or red/brown.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorful RB and BN. RD IHC's are not particularily attractive, and I have yet to submit a RAW RD coin that PCGS grades code .91 Questionable Color.

OINK

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

They all have a place. It depends on the coin.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

My earlier answer was short as I didn't have time to expand.
    For me, and most everyone else, it "depends".
    I really like the BN toned Proofs.
    RD mint state Lincolns are beauties as well.
    As far as 19th century RD copper, I have no experience and have to believe what Bill Jones states about these. Makes sense.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously RD. That's how they came from the mint, right?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

RB.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, I like them all they just need to be nice with no spots.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Each one is unique, but I tend to lean towards RB.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like pr66 RB that is so close to RD it should have got it :wink:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

75-85% Red (high end RB) or Full Red. The gem red Indian and Large cents I've had over the years have been extremely stable. None of them ever turned on me whether in slabs or cardboard 2x2's. I'd bet some of the ones I owned back in the late 1980's look the same today.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bright red copper in PCGS first Gen holders...After 30 plus years in that holder I'm good, after that RB, and after that Br in high grade 66 or better only....

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

RB or BN, no real preference, as long as the coin has positive eye appeal.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have RD. RD, and BN coppers that I like very much. However, I have been burned twice during the last 7 years by fake RD coins in NGC holders. I won't buy any more RD coins at this point, since there is no color guarantee any more.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Like girls I like them all!

RB leaning to red on later (IHD) RB on earlier copper. Don't think the premium for RD are worth it and don't trust full red on pre-1855. I would always wonder if the coin had been dipped even in slabs.

For the premium I'd rather have 3-4 nicely colored RB that look honest. I enjoy the look and marvel that red or reddish copper can still exist on an early coin.

Recently sent in 30-40 later date IHC that I have owned for 30+ yrs and the majority came back 64-65 RB with several 64-65 RD. If I scattered them on the table I'd have to look twice to pick them out.
    BTW most came from the same shop in the mid-80s with almost all were marked $30.

• Options

Great Feedback! I have been focusing on Red for my registry set but have come to the realisation that it will have to be Red-Brown for the early to mid year Lincolns, due to the high prices in Red.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, high grade BNs for me with luster and a splash of color.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AusLincolns said:
    Great Feedback! I have been focusing on Red for my registry set but have come to the realisation that it will have to be Red-Brown for the early to mid year Lincolns, due to the high prices in Red.

Understanding overall collecting trends can help in your decision on what to collect; gives you more comfort in knowing that others may have your same interests if it ever came time to sell. The human herd mentality.

Over the recent past, collecting Lincolns in RB or BN has become much more popular, especially the toned ones. For years I never collected copper coins because I didn't trust them. But I think I can do o.k. with nicely toned RBs. Just have to watch out for the processed ones, not unlike most any other series, gold or silver.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Red can be achieved by artificial means, so I prefer RB really.

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

@DancingFire said:
    I'd prefer chocolate BN Lg cent.

With luster like that 1820, Brown is beautiful

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1820 is lovely!

• Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Browns with luster and some color are my favorite (MS65/66 BN). These are beautiful and within my budget.

If I had a bigger budget, I'd definitely spring for some high grade (MS66/67) RD coins with original mint bloom.

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original toning in BN or RB.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to cents, I really do not care.... New cents should be red....But when it comes to copper, the brown look is comfortable, and when dealing with Early Copper, almost mandatory.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AusLincolns ...Welcome aboard..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Okay, for my first post I declare I am a copper head and I love it brown !

• Options

Thanks @ricko

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones with the best eye appeal. That color :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    Red can be achieved by artificial means, so I prefer RB really.

It is much more difficult to impart "convincing" red color to copper than it is to add RB toning and get away with it.
    Lance.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brown all the way. I just love nice chocolate brown copper....Yummy!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like brown too. It's really hard for me to pick one. I guess I really do like them all.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

For the past couple of months been looking for a nice straight graded light chocolate brown 94 cent,in grades good to VF,"priced right" but the sea is full of environmental damaged coins....Oh well. The hunt is half the fun.. :)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2017 12:00PM

@CommemKing said:
    Obviously RD. That's how they came from the mint, right?

Or the doctor's office ;)

With large cents and half cents, it's important to track a coin's history through previous auctions given the number that have been to see a doctor. Some are wonderful and have original surfaces but many have been manipulated and can degrade quickly in a few years. Older slabs help as an indicator of stability.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I like them all and do not collect them much, but there is something I like a little more about a luster filled brown one.

I agree brown with luster looks sweet.

• Options

A new acquisition 1955 DDO

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

If RD I like them fiery, if RB a little "character" and if BN, I like the chocolate brown with a sharp gloss look or fully purple.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toned brown. All day, every day.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red, Red-Brown or Brown? Yes, it all depends on the eye appeal.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file