Home U.S. Coin Forum

A slightly belated and "Long" Beach Show Report

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2017 11:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Due to work demands, I had almost no hope of making a major show during the first half of this year. A couple of weeks ago it became apparent that the ANA in Denver wouldn't be possible either. Frustrated, I decided to move things around on my schedule and at the last minute flew down to Long Beach for Thursday afternoon and Friday. As has been mentioned in other reports, the weather wasn't bad, it was abysmal. Friday it was raining sideways and blowing so hard that opening an umbrella would only serve as a pointless sacrifice to the weather gods. Running across the street from the convention center for lunch on Friday left me soaked straight through. To top it off I managed to step in a 6" puddle on the way back in. There's nothing like slogging around the bourse with one wet sock inside one wet tennis shoe..... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

When one wants to bid on half-cents, one had better get to the auction quickly. My plane landed around noon on Thursday and the half-cents hit the auction block shortly after bidding opened at 1 PM. With great effort it was possible to get off the plane, catch a cab, check in at the hotel, walk/run to the convention center, register with Heritage, view the appropriate lots, and enter a bid with 5 minutes to spare. I wandered over to the live auction, sat down, and watched fate play out. There were maybe 4 or 5 bidders in the room tops. That was surprising. It looks like everyone else enters bids and follows the action on the Internet too. I was fortunate to win this coin which has an awful lot going for it for a coin with a BN designation:

My next stop was to visit a few dealers whose inventory I'd been oogling before leaving home. I zipped over to Pinnacle but didn't find the Pilgrim I had been hoping to see. They stock too much inventory to bring it all, and with short notice I didn't have a chance to ask them to bring this one. Oh well. A short trip took me past Charmy and Larry Shapiro to Bonnie Sabel's table. I semi-reluctantly returned a coin she was kind enough to send on approval (oh-so-close!) but found a phenomenal Columbian that begged to come live in my box of 20 commems. This is a side project that is just for fun. I just can't bring myself to like all of the commem designs, but a box of 20 of my favorites is perfect! I'm collecting nice but not monster examples of most designs, but the top two or three designs deserve a really nice example. I stretched a bit for this one, but it's quite enjoyable:

My primary mission of the trip was to find a nice CBH for my type set. I stupidly let one get away at a prior Heritage auction and the experience left a big, thorny burr under my saddle. I hit a few dealers known to carry these but didn't find the right combination of strike, luster, grade, price, and overall look. I figured a common-date coin from the mid 1920s to 1930s would give me the best grade for the money and concentrated my efforts there. Oddly enough every dealer I talked to (and people here via PM) gave me the same advice....... "For a type coin, get an early one. Trust me, you'll be glad." That's great, but that likely meant either a low-grade MS or nice AU coin. I had my heart set on at least an MS63.

Back to lot viewing...... I went through quite a list of miscellaneous odds and ends I was contemplating and then hit the CBH lots. The one I was watching was pretty nice but another coin randomly caught my eye. It was one of those that seemed to emanate light from within when you pick it up and play with it. Luster bomb! I noticed the date and grade, thought it would be out of my league, but made a few notes about it. Back at the hotel I planned my bidding strategy. Oddly enough, the flashy coin hadn't been bid up too terribly yet. It came a few lots before the coin I'd originally focused on, so I decided to make a play for it, not believing it would work. I set a hard ceiling and entered a proxy bid, planning on shooting for coin number two if it didn't work out. I tuned in to the auction and surprise, surprise, this one was also in the bag. A bit over budget, but that rule was meant to be broken, n'est-ce pas? ;)

The next morning I ate a gargantuan omelette at my favorite French breakfast place and trudged through a light rain back to the center. I got in at 9 o'clock with the free early bird pass for registry players (thanks PCGS!). It was nice to wander around and look without the crowds. I went to settle up with Heritage and pick up my lots. The coins were as nice as I remembered - no buyers remorse thank goodness. It's one of those that you just have to see in-hand. It's not as photogenic as some and the luster is hard to really show in a photo, but in-hand it just rocks. There is simply NO SUBSTITUTE for personal inspection. Working off the on-line photos I'd have never taken an interest in this one:

The rest of Friday was spent looking at a few auction lots for the Internet-only part of the auction, making a second pass through everyone's tables, and unsuccessfully tracking down a 3CN and an early half dime (both were sold just before I got there - uggggh!). I stopped by John Agre's table. We had a nice chat and I sold a nicely toned coin to him. The next stop was to Ian at Great Collections to consign a few things that needed to be weeded out of my collection. I sat down with David Hall to have him opine about a coin-turned-in-the-holder at a "meet the expert" session. It was nice to see him up and doing well. All said and done, I came home with far fewer (but also better) coins than I had started with.

Mike Kittle sold me one of Dan Carr's wizard vs skeleton rounds with the holographic lightning bolts. It's a crazy thing I just couldn't resist. I haven't even tried to photograph it yet. That pretty much shot the day. I trudged back to the hotel, rigged up a way to dry out my shoes on the heater, ate a nice steak, and got up early for the flight home. Good show. Good people. Primary mission accomplished.

I almost forgot..... To be complete, I had one bizarre experience that I still don't understand. I was asked to leave a dealer's table and not come back. I was shopping a coin around and a dealer who specializes in the series was taking a look. It was clear pretty quickly that it wasn't going to work out, as his initial offer was pretty low. I told him thanks and was turning to leave when he asked to see the coin again, studied it a while, and made a slightly better (but still weak) offer. I said, "nah, but thanks anyway" and suddenly things went bonkers weird. I can only think that he misunderstood something I said as he instantly flipped out - like I had insulted his mom or something. He literally threw the coin across the table (skipping it a couple of times), muttered something unpleasant, and invited me to get lost rather loudly. I made a quick inquiry trying to understand the situation, but the steam coming out of his ears led to my quick decision to just cut and run. Odd. Strange. Doubt I'll ever stop by there again.

I also learned that you can't fix a broken umbrella with dental floss......

Comments

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report...thanks for posting...love your new coins!!! Congrats!!

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Love the report and the coind

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Great report

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amongst the best reports I've read. Great NEWPS! Love all three.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding report and great pick ups too.
    Thanks for posting.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding the dealer "interaction":

Wonder if he just isn't used to not getting HIS price? By upping his offer, without being prompted, it seems he knew he was shooting low....
    But even then, not getting the deal, he apparently snapped. Not cool.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Thank you for sharing.
    Weird about the dealer. Maybe he was not having a good day and thought buying your coin, he could flip it quickly and make it a good day?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. It will go down in my book as one of the mysteries of the Universe. It wasn't that big of a coin..... just a common-date type coin that at best would make him a profit of $100-200. I wouldn't normally think it could possibly generate such an emotional response. He's a guy who has been around a long time too. Obviously I missed something......

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report.
    I love coin shows, but haven't been able to make one in a while.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report. I go appreciate these. thanks for taking the time.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thanks for taking the time

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed your report. I had the 1834 Half Cent on my watchlist and would have bid had I not been working when it came up!

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

All said and done, I came home with far fewer (but also better) coins than I had started with.

Way to go!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a great report.... I enjoyed the detail - even the wet sock/tennis shoe.. :D .... Those are certainly nice coins.... I am sure you will be happy with them. Cheers, RickO

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, nice coins! :+1:

There are sometimes reasons why people are sole proprietors.....they don't play well with others.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no excuse for a dealer behaving like that. Or a collector. Great report and great coins, thanks for posting them.

I have only run one person off from my table in 20 years of shows, a racist nut who couldn't stop showing his ignorance.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, your newp's look really choice!

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super report! Thanks for writing and sharing it.
    Your coin additions are all stunners!
    Congratulations :-)

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

Great coins you got there. They photograph well.
    The crepe place is my favorite as well.

edited February 19, 2017 8:47AM

Here's the other item I purchased from Mike Kittle. It's a Dan Carr 1 oz silver round made for the Knights of the Coin Table. The overall design is interesting but the real draw is the hologram effect that is displayed over the incuse design obverse. The second two photos aren't all in-focus as I had to tilt the coin significantly, but they show the effect nicely:

Mike had two or three of these and the hologram effect seems to be unique to each piece. It seems like this technology could be an effective anti-counterfeiting technique if done correctly, but the thin layer of holographic refraction might not work well in circulation.

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Great report, I really enjoyed reading it. You picked up some
    extremely nice coins too.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like all 3 coins!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really really nice selections. Bravo!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Love the 1812 50C.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice report! Thanks.

• hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I dunno. It will go down in my book as one of the mysteries of the Universe. It wasn't that big of a coin..... just a common-date type coin that at best would make him a profit of $100-200. I wouldn't normally think it could possibly generate such an emotional response. He's a guy who has been around a long time too. Obviously I missed something......

please tell us who the dealer was
    in this slower market the cream needs to rise to the top and the wierdos need to go away

Nope. I'm sure he has his version of the story too. The same dealer once kindly spent 15-30 minutes with me at a tumbleweed-slow show going over his area of specialty. I'm not willing to publicly roast the guy for a single event, shocking as it was at the time. Might have been just a bad hot dog, bad day, simple misunderstanding...... who knows.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, Bryce. The human interest side of it is great. You're sure right-as-rain about the current weather around here. During one, two or three hour period, I can't recall it ever raining harder in SoCal. And I've lived here all my life. So long in fact that it's painful thinking about it. The Long Beach show is always good. I try never to miss it. Like you I also had a somewhat bizarre encounter with a dealer(s). At least I think they were both dealers. One of them was for sure. Anyway, I was sitting at the dealer's table in the process of negotiating a purchase that was a little north of $5k. That's a lot of money for me. A whole lot. Whenever I spend over $2k on a coin, and that's not very often, I end up with a few sleepless nights. And yes, I've been tossing and turning a lot the last few nights. I was doing my very best trying to concentrate on business when some fellow pulled up a sat down beside me. I should add here that my ability to concentrate is somewhat limited, due I suspect to a few episodes earlier in life when I found myself in areas where people were throwing highly explosive artillery devices my way. That fuzzy ringing sensation never quite went away. Anyway, the man sitting next to me starts talking to the dealer about "mint sets," and "something you might like," etc. The dealer starts talking to the man. Like I'm not there. So, I say to the fellow with the mint sets, "You're rude. I'm in the middle of a deal here." My mistake. To direct an approach most likely. So then he starts yelling, loudly, at me about how I was the rude one. Rather than wait for the show security staff to sort it all out, I just stood up and left. Quickly. Out the door. The good part is I beat it back home before the rain.....and....I still have the five grand. Not bad. If I ever find out who that guy was I think I'll shake his hand and tell him "THANKS A LOT." Maybe even buy him a beer. Maybe. Probably not.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really enjoyed your report !

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Thank you!

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and great coins. Sorry to hear about the bizarre incident with the dealer. Some dealers have a lack "luster" personality when it comes to social interaction.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 9:42PM

@BryceM said:
    He literally threw the coin across the table (skipping it a couple of times), muttered something unpleasant, and invited me to get lost rather loudly. I made a quick inquiry trying to understand the situation, but the steam coming out of his ears led to my quick decision to just cut and run. Odd. Strange. Doubt I'll ever stop by there again.

Out him. He had no right to throw your coin. I do hope the coin was certified and not damaged. I wonder how the dealer would feel if you chucked a couple of his slabs across his table/display.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the coins, and especially the Capped Bust half. Usually I prefer these toned, but your coin is unusually attractive with an excellent strike/luster.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very high end coins. I spoke to a dealer who bought some gold coins, one $2 1/2 Indian from Stacks also a 1912 $20 Saint, the first graded fake the second graded 62 at the show.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Bryce, nice show report and excellent 1812 Half.
    When viewing your pics of the coin, my first thought was "that coin might be double struck".
    I'd take a loupe and look at the area behind Liberty's mouth and chin, and the tip and nostril of her nose. Then the area below and to the right of the date at the rim. On the reverse, look at the top of the eagle's left wing, and the second S in states.

Maybe I'm just seeing things on this coin. Either way it's a great example for your set...

• mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent report

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2017 9:42AM

-Great report, great coins!

-You have a great sense of humor.

-For a dealer to toss your coin like that, you showed tremendous restraint. Good for you!

• Outstanding report, and terse compared to some that cover soup to nuts (literally).

Congrats on the auction wins! You seem to plan and execute well.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saved the best for last??? "I also learned that you can't fix a broken umbrella with dental floss......"

:D

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Great report, and thorough! One of the best I have read.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

That CBH looks pristine!!

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    -Great report, great coins!

-You have a great sense of humor.

-For a dealer to toss your coin like that, you showed tremendous restraint. Good for you!

Lol, yea I woulda slipped and accidentally my elbow would have smashed his case and while trying to catch my balance my other hand prolly woulda launched whatever else was around or most likely the whole table...

keceph `anah
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2017 2:24PM

'

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking time to write up the report, I enjoy these of all posts the most.

As usual great coins!

Maybe we will cross paths one day.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Great report. The CBH picture looks way better than the catalog/print or online. Great score!

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and beautiful coins Bryce!
    Especially like your 1812 bust half!

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent report, thanks. I had planned on going up, but the weather nixed that. No way I was going to venture the 405 in rain. It's tough enough in good weather and bottles up at a moments notice...

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't decide which is better, the show report or your newps ... both are fantastic! :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinnerdish said:
    Outstanding report, and terse compared to some that cover soup to nuts (literally).

Congrats on the auction wins! You seem to plan and execute well.

Welcome back or are there actually two people in the world that think the same way?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file