Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Undergraded! Show us a coin you think deserves a higher grade

I'm thinking we all probably have coins that seem undergraded. Show us an example from your collection.
If anyone agrees, say so!
If you feel it is properly graded, maybe give your reasons why it is.
Thanks!

Here is one of mine that I feel deserves better: It is graded 63RB and I believe it should be a 64RB

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/81346271_800x600.jpg

This one is even crazier. It is graded 61BN!
I won't even say what it should be because it could be anything from 63BN to even 65BN

https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/50297/21504943/1c1916D-2143.jpg

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs

Comments

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 6:14PM

Just about every owner of a coin thinks his or her coins are undergraded. Ownership adds a point or a designation ;)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually agree with how PCGS grades, there are a few that have a shot at upgrades but there is usually something holding them back. Strike, luster, eye appeal, marks, rims, toning (or lack thereof), relative condition for coins of that date and mm.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id totally send in the 14 D Lincoln cent back in.

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I have several...here's a Kentucky Token of mine that currently resides in a PCGS AU-58 holder...

Technically speaking, there's just a tiny bit of rub on the highest points, so it's technically in the right holder, but it seems like you see this amount of rub on a lot of these on up to 63. In fact, here's where it used to reside...

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

So technically, the Kentucky doesn't 'deserve' a higher grade, but here are a couple I feel do...

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

All kidding aside, and I know this is darkside... this was NGC 62 (if I recall, and looked undergraded, with PL obverse), cracked it out to send with a raw order to PCGS, and they graded it AU55?? It was so off I thought it might be a mechanical error...

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

1804 half cent I guessed AU 53(Needs regrade) 1868 $1 guessed AU50 before seeing grade(I wouldn't send in for a possible 53)

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I have to say all of these are reasonable cases. msch1man, your 1804 1/2c really seems unfair to me. Definitely shorted on that one.

The dollar looks really nice. I don't have experience with that series but it looks like 60-62 to me.

• Options

The token at AU58 is tough because it doesn't have a lot of details to make a determination from but the "wear" such as it is seems less than some 63 and 64 Lincoln cents I've seen. Quite a drop on a crossover. Might be worth a resubmission.

In any case, it is a very cool looking piece!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 8:09PM

This is in a 65RB holder. I think it should be in a 66RB holder.

This is in an older MS65 holder. I think it is a 66.

• Options

bolivarshagnasty - nice 1919! Agree with you.

• Options

@deefree49 said:

Yeah, It would be a 100 buck upgrade for 35/40 bucks. Just not monetarily worthwhile.

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@deefree49 said:

Yeah, It would be a 100 buck upgrade for 35/40 bucks. Just not monetarily worthwhile.

I hear you on that score. That's why I haven't sent in the 1916-D 61BN in the OP. The gain is too minimal. Funny though how it nags at me anyway.

• Options

@deefree49 said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@deefree49 said:

I hear you on that score. That's why I haven't sent in the 1916-D 61BN in the OP. The gain is too minimal. Funny though how it nags at me anyway.

Yeah, I think all coin collectors are a touch OCD. LOL

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

OGH MS-63

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

drddm - well in any case, that is a beautiful coin and a keeper no matter what any TPG says!

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

old holder as XF45

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that VF30 was low for this one.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minimal rub, obverse is a full 58, weakness of strike on reverse eagle is confused with wear. If resubmitted I would expect a 58 not the 55 it is in.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is in an AU-55 holder and I think it is undergraded by at least 7-8 points. I have some other T$'s grading 55-58 and they have obvious signs of circulation, but there aren't really any friction in the fields or high points on this so I don't understand the 55 grade. I will eventually send it in raw for regrading.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave...I certainly agree with you on that Trade Dollar.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this one raw and thought it might go a 45 or low AU.
    Came back a 40!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

nwcoast - always a bit of a challenge to tell from an image but your coin looks like a "split" grade to me. The obverse looks very nice, could be a solid AU. The reverse is what might be holding it back a little because of the wear on the right side wheat stalk. They may have averaged the two?

Of course given an option of having a better obverse or reverse, I'll take the obverse every time! Nice looking S-VDB absolutely.

• Options

TennesseeDave, Very nice Trade Dollar. I always liked those!
    Your strategy of sending it in raw sounds like a good idea. While they are not supposed to be influenced by an existing grade, everyone I've talked to thinks it does influence them...a lot. Usually they will only bump 1 point, 2 at most. Yours is totally undergraded IMHO. I really agree with you sending it in raw and my gut feeling is that it will go up beyond 60.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 3:16PM

B)

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 4:18PM

This half dime doesn't look XF to me?

I don't understand why this dime is in a 58+ holder. It looks like a 62-63 all day!

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 5:04PM

This 1841-o half dime is PCGS AU50 (not undergraded)

.... and this 1840-o No Drapery is PCGS VF35 (photographed raw). Is it really 15 points weaker? There are no lurking problems, like a wipe or cleaning.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 01-s quarter is not undergraded any longer. its in a pc53 cac holder now, cause I own it

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    PCGS PR64 (1989 green holder)

SWEET

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    the 01-s quarter is not undergraded any longer. its in a pc53 cac holder now, cause I own it

Now that I like.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

hold on... i am photographing my entire collection.. haha.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think either of these would be out of place in the next higher grade holder:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression on the 1829 half is "65+", unless something is not showing in the photos.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking this a tad better than an XF45. Still has decent luster- maybe at least AU50?

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2017 12:46AM

IMO, MS65 based on today's grading standard. Bought this coin the day it came back from PCGS.

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

MS65 BN!

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun post...thanks all.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1855-D gold dollar is currently in an EF-45 holder. I think that it makes AU-50 or 53 given the amount of luster. This is one of those coins that will probably be "enhanced" someday for the higher grade, but it won't happen while I own it.

Straight on shot:

Angle shot showing more luster.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coins in this thread!

• Options

@asheland said:

agree!
    Here is a 1914 PR65BN that seems to have no flaws and the eye appeal of a 66:
    https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/50297/31328899/1c1914PF65BN.jpg

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deefree49 said:

@asheland said:

agree!
    Here is a 1914 PR65BN that seems to have no flaws and the eye appeal of a 66:
    https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/50297/31328899/1c1914PF65BN.jpg

Very nice! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file