Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An antique store find....New images. Grade is in.

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 5, 2017 12:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is one amazing 1925 Peace dollar I found in a local antique store. With all a this rain here in northern California, 10 inches projected this weekend, I went out searching in unusual places, antique stores sometimes pay off. No I did not go anywhere below the Oroville dam, no way! I found this piece in a display case with the price of $25.00 attached to it, I happily paid the man :)
And here's what I got for 25 bucks.....It has BOOMING luster, extremely brilliant with very few flaws, bag marks. I think I see a ms-66 or maybe better on this coin. Do you concur?

Not sure if these images will change anyone's grade estimate but here they are.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 2:24PM

Capped at MS65 imo due to neck, cheek, jaw and eye brow chatter. And I'd be very happy with a 65..... as a MS64 is very possible also. Can't go wrong at $25. It's got nearly $14 in silver inside it.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 is being a tad generous, but still a nice find for $25 bucks!

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

That looks quite prooflike to me, the way a Franklin half looks prooflike. But with the highpoint luster grazes and the neck squiggles I'd say... 64?

• Options

I'm no Peace dollar expert , that's for sure but going by others in the same grade it looks like a ringer. Any imperfections are exaggerated with imaging.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad he didn't have more like that, did you ask?

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin for $25! MS64+, shot 65 IMO

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 C.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2017 2:32PM

@AUandAG said:
    Too bad he didn't have more like that, did you ask?

bob:)

Yes I did :) . I'm always asking and looking. I'm happy with this one at any grade. It's a gorgeous piece.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 shot 65

Very nice!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin Joe. I don't know how to grade these..........I hope you get a 66! :)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. Thinking of submitting it ?

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Kudbegud said:

Yes I'll be sending it into our host with a few others. I have way too many raw coins. They must be graded.
    Thanks

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 64 due to scattered markings, Peace Dollars seem to be graded pretty harshly. Very nice coin though! I'd buy those all day long at $25

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 and not worth the grading fees. You can buy them all day long on eBay for under 50 bucks. Sometimes for 40 bucks.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    64 and not worth the grading fees. You can buy them all day long on eBay for under 50 bucks. Sometimes for 40 bucks.

In hand I disagree with the 64 assessments. Not at all on board with 64. I guess ya gotta see it in hand.

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

In hand I disagree with the 64 assessments. Not at all on board with 64. I guess ya gotta see it in hand.

The 1925 is the most common in really nice Peace dollars. It looks like some scuffs and a couple whacks above the eye and on the chin. The neck is another issue. If you took more pictures where they are not so dark and also taken under normal light, it would be easier to see the coin. A simple cell phone shot usually tells the truth!

• Options

Are those images from a scanner?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:
    That looks quite prooflike to me, the way a Franklin half looks prooflike. But with the highpoint luster grazes and the neck squiggles I'd say... 64?

I see far too much mint frost to qualify for PL.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Are those images from a scanner?

No, I could pound it with light but then I would lose the luster.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice ms64.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 at best

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!!!!!!!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin... The image makes suggesting a grade quite the challenge

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great man, although I love to hit antique shops for the sheer wonderment of discovering things I've never seen before, I basically walk past coins at 6 mph when I see them offered there. They seem usually overpriced and cleaned and no way to barter if in a mall. They would have to jump out across the room, which your coin does.

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

63 .... maybe a generous 64.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing a MS-64 which is a great buy at $25

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great luster but too many marks in key visual areas to get more than a 64. Still, a good buy for the price.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did good!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice piece...Peace Dollar.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree looks like a 64 at best.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Looks nice...keep us updated

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2017 9:47PM

@mkman123 said:

@mkman123 said:

I promise I will.
    I promise I will.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 6:20AM

it seems that if it grades MS66 you did well.
    it seems that if it grades MS65 you might break even.
    it seems that if it grades anything less, then you have managed to turn a good purchase into a loss.

my hunch is probable 64, possible 65. if it was me, I would keep the coin raw and enjoy it unless I was out to prove a point. best of luck on the outcome.

an aside to afford --- you might want to reread the thread and edit your post.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging from the picture, I do think you have a shot at 65.....Your obvious excitement indicates that 'in hand' it is a very attractive coin... so, discounting some of the things seen due to enlargement and light... yep, maybe 65.... Send it in and let us know. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score! Looks like a great booming luster too!
    Our hosts are very tough on this series.
    My guess is 64-65, based on my experiences in submitting these.
    Now if that thing really has a crazy golden luster like I'm seeing in the photos, then maybe you'll get a plus... JMO
    In any event, it's a fine example and score for a rainy day.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did fine for 25 bucks and you'll sleep well at night with this purchase.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a $75-$80 coin.Not bad for $25. :)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.... B) Good buy.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always way off grading Peace Dollars, My 66s GTG always come back 64
    But that luster is stunning and definitely didn't go wrong

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2017 3:15PM

@keets said:
    it seems that if it grades MS66 you did well.
    it seems that if it grades MS65 you might break even.
    it seems that if it grades anything less, then you have managed to turn a good purchase into a loss.

my hunch is probable 64, possible 65. if it was me, I would keep the coin raw and enjoy it unless I was out to prove a point. best of luck on the outcome.

an aside to afford --- you might want to reread the thread and edit your post.

I'm hoping for a 66. That's what it looks like in hand. Yes I will submit this one if for nothing else to see how far off I can be. Like I said imaging casts shadows and makes tiny hits look like monsters. It's just the way it is. Remember that luster plays a HUGE part in the grading that is so subjective. I'll still say 66 as that's what it looks like to me in hand. Now looking at all the other ms-66 1925 peace dollars out there it's a crap shoot and it shouldn't be as I see huge differences, not subtle ones.

• Options

With the new images, I could see a 65 on the right day. 50/50. That chin whack is very distracting. Looks like a nice deal at 25 bucks.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    With the new images, I could see a 65 on the right day. 50/50. That chin whack is very distracting. Looks like a nice deal at 25 bucks.

I agree....The chin mark is the only bad thing that jumps out at me.

• Options

Here's one that graded 66 and with a CAC sticker. Pretty far from flawless. I like mine better. This is NOT my series but I've gotta say the 64 is kinda ruff on this girl....Here ya go

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

It's half way between a 64 & 65

(piggy backed with some 63' & 64's you might get the higher grade)

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every Peace dollar looks baggy when magnified that much. Looks pretty gemmy to me. It has a few marks but booming luster could possibly carry it to 66 land. Tough to tell from a photo.

• Options

One hit on her chin and one or maybe two on the bird. 64? Really? This piece has some very brilliant and booming luster. I don't see it going any less the a 65 with a shot at 66 is my opinion and I'll stick with it.
    Thanks to all for your contribution, much appreciated, Joe

• Options
    hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

looks 66

• Options

I know what you are saying Joe, but that hit on the chin hurts it. But PCGS loves booming luster and may forgive the chin.

Who knows. Let us know what she gets!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file