Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exonumia Tokens - Post yours

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baldwin and Howell Westwood Park - San Francisco 1920's real estate development

Baldwin and Howell Development San Francisco Westwood Park Bungalows
Bronze, 32mm, 10.40gm

The Baldwin and Howell company began development of the Westwood Park area in the 1920's in the southwest part of San Francisco after the completion of the Twin Peaks Tunnel in 1917.

Obverse: Bungalow house facing
BUY THIS BUNGALOW $35. MONTHLY / BALDWIN & HOWELL S.F.
Reverse: Railroad train emerging from tunnel
TWIN PEAKS TUNNEL / WHEN THE TUNNEL IS COMPLETE / TO WESTWOOD PARK WE WILL RETREAT

I was contacted recently by a woman who is writing a book about the neighborhood and she asked if she could use an image of my token in her book. I told her yes.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, I'll contribute!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo Libertas Lingg amp Co obv_zpsoemaqf1g.jpg
    photo Libertas Lingg amp Co rev_zpsfobsvyvg.jpg

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck in September 1824, within weeks of the Marquis de LaFayette's return to American soil. Counterstamped coins, such as this one, were made by Joseph Lewis. They were allegedly thrown from carriages in the general's procession to the crowds that lined the streets of the towns through which the general passed. The surfaces show some remnants of a Matron Head large cent undertype on a host that had been prepared with a file before striking. Examples are also known on an 1824 dime, two half dollars, an 1807 half cent, a one real, and a two reales piece. Small medals of this same design are also known in gold, silver, and white metal.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is A New Mexico 1 mill Tax token from 1935

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

A very scarce encased Buffalo nickel and recent NEWP.

ANA LM

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple of "Good for" tokens from a merchant in Camden, NJ. A.E. Jackson Dont know anything about him, but it is research for a rainy day:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice tokens.. I have not collected tokens... my 'exonumia' is poker chips... preferably those with the silver inserts..... I have a bunch of them. Never see them here in the East... Collected all mine living out West. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

That witch token is spectacular!

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

CD Peacock token

• Options

Awesome thread! :)

ANA LM

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

That witch token is spectacular!

Thanks Meltdown! I guess that you can say that this "Witch Token" was worth waiting the 15-20 years for!!!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options

Nice counterstamped dollar EXOJUNKIE! Have you done any research on it?

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options

180_ quarter-cut of a Spanish colonial 8 reales coin (reign of Carlos IV). The edges of the piece below show the typical half-cut, half-torn look of most authentic 18th-19th century cut coins, bent up at one corner and a bit uneven, as made. Most of the cut coins of this vintage (1st quarter of the 19th century) have come out of the Ohio River Valley, where cut coins (called "sharps" or "sharp money") circulated well into the 1830s. Most of the 'two bit(t)' cut coins that have survived are actually 1/5 cuts rather than 1/4 cuts; there were extensive shops in North America and the West Indies that specialized in making change from 8 reales coins, but many of them produced 5 'quarter cuts' (rather than 4) and pocketed the difference when these pieces were placed into circulation.

• Options

@WDP said:
    Nice counterstamped dollar EXOJUNKIE! Have you done any research on it?

Thanks @WDP. I assume it refers to Colt Fire Arms Co. but I've never seen a matching stamp on a weapon. Admittedly though I haven't done much research.

ANA LM

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always love to see old tokens, especially ones from Boston. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Columbian Expo

• Options

• Options

1863 Edward Schaf (New York) token, struck over an 1862 CuNi Indian Head cent. A lot of detail from the host coin is visible.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 7:38AM

here is another token of mine a Apothecaries weight

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

Welcome back, Stefanie!
    1861-1865, brass Ex: Coinsarefun

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

A turn of last century token with the reverse that was used to strike it.

A very nice token that P. T. Barnum used to advertise his mid town Manhattan museum. Confederate terrorists tried to set this building on fire during the Civil War.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not often we see tokens being handed out.

Here is 1950's film and television star Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) handing out tokens with his picture on them.

Hopalong Cassidy with lots of tokens

Aluminum, 30mm, 3.24gm
    Obverse: William Boyd facing as Hopalong Cassidy / HOPALONG CASSIDY / WILLIAM BOYD
    Reverse: Good luck symbols - Horseshoe, Four-Leaf Clover, Wishbone / GOOD LUCK FROM "HOPPY"

Some fans have reported receiving "silver dollars" from Boyd, these were probably the aluminum tokens, although "special" kids might have received real US silver dollars.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WDP said:
    This Perkins Hotel **Civil War Store Card token is from my collection, but more interestingly this obverse die (merchant side) was made by die maker and token issuer John Stanton of Cincinnati in 1863 for my great-great grandfather, Wm. Perkins, Jr. of Detroit, Michigan. Wm. Perkins, Jr. opened the Perkins Hotel in Detroit (located at 102 Grand River Avenue at the Corner of Grand River Ave., Cass Ave., and Middle St.) in **1847.

This Perkins Hotel die was mated to other reverse dies, with a pseudo Indian Head Cent dated 1863, and with a few made dated 1864. It was also mated to the so-called "Prairie Flower Reverse."

These "special" strikes were made for and sold to collectors. The collector strikes were also struck on tin (white metal), brass, and copper-nickel planchets. The copper-nickel strike for the Perkins Hotel token is ex. Steve Tanenbaum and is most likely unique. It currently resides in my collection.

The Perkins Hotel token with the Prairie Flower Reverse is also unique, and has resided in the American Numismatic Society (ANS) Collection since the 1800s. For anyone interested, here is the link to a photo of this unique token on the ANS website:

http://numismatics.org/collection/0000.999.53382

Wm. Perkins, Jr. also issued a CW token for his Grocery & Provision Store. The Hotel and Grocery Store dies were paired and handed out as change during the Civil War. Most of these circulated, and as a result this die marriage or muling is extremely rare in Mint State.

Wm. David Perkins

Really fantastic piece of family history!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Here are a few from my collection....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WDP said:
    This Perkins Hotel **Civil War Store Card token is from my collection, but more interestingly this obverse die (merchant side) was made by die maker and token issuer John Stanton of Cincinnati in 1863 for my great-great grandfather, Wm. Perkins, Jr. of Detroit, Michigan. Wm. Perkins, Jr. opened the Perkins Hotel in Detroit (located at 102 Grand River Avenue at the Corner of Grand River Ave., Cass Ave., and Middle St.) in **1847.

This Perkins Hotel die was mated to other reverse dies, with a pseudo Indian Head Cent dated 1863, and with a few made dated 1864. It was also mated to the so-called "Prairie Flower Reverse."

These "special" strikes were made for and sold to collectors. The collector strikes were also struck on tin (white metal), brass, and copper-nickel planchets. The copper-nickel strike for the Perkins Hotel token is ex. Steve Tanenbaum and is most likely unique. It currently resides in my collection.

The Perkins Hotel token with the Prairie Flower Reverse is also unique, and has resided in the American Numismatic Society (ANS) Collection since the 1800s. For anyone interested, here is the link to a photo of this unique token on the ANS website:

http://numismatics.org/collection/0000.999.53382

Wm. Perkins, Jr. also issued a CW token for his Grocery & Provision Store. The Hotel and Grocery Store dies were paired and handed out as change during the Civil War. Most of these circulated, and as a result this die marriage or muling is extremely rare in Mint State.

Wm. David Perkins

That is very cool that the token was made for your great-great grandfather!

Love the double die K in Perkins too! Very nice looking token.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun..... Welcome back Stef..... great pictures of very nice tokens... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 13, 2017 12:24PM

Still enjoying this thread and the diversity of exonumia. Let's keep it going!

1846 Rulau R-Y4 "Do Your Duty" Token

ANA LM

• Options

This Perkins Hotel Civil War Store Card token is from my collection, but more interestingly this obverse die (merchant side) was made by die maker and token issuer John Stanton of Cincinnati in 1863 for my great-great grandfather, Wm. Perkins, Jr. of Detroit, Michigan. Wm. Perkins, Jr. opened the Perkins Hotel in Detroit (located at 102 Grand River Avenue at the Corner of Grand River Ave., Cass Ave., and Middle St.) in 1847.
    _
    @Zoins and @spacehayduke, thanks for the nice comments on the Perkins Hotel CW token and story (above). Here is a photo of the Perkins Hotel where the Civil War Store Card tokens were "handed out" in change, and taken in on purchases.

To the right of the hotel are two street-level store fronts - the first was the Wm. Perkins, JR. Grocery and Provision store (see photo below of the obverse of the Detroit CW token for this business). The second building was the Perkins Meat Market.

This CW token was struck on a copper-nickel planchet and is likely unique.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 3:36PM

This is the only piece of exonumia I own and I don't know anything about it. I saw it once and passed, and then regretted my decision for a year. I found it again this weekend and couldn't pass it up. I have no idea of its value; I paid what I was willing to part with to own it (a lot for me!). But I'm from Missouri and I haven't seen a store token from here before. The heraldic eagle and patina really did it for me. It's about the size of a half dollar.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

@mach1ne said: This is the only piece of exonumia I own and I don't know anything about it. I saw it once and passed, and then regretted my decision for a year. I found it again this weekend and couldn't pass it up. I have no idea of its value; I paid what I was willing to part with to own it. But I'm from Missouri and I haven't seen a store token from here before. The heraldic eagle and patina really did it for me.

I looked this token up on a website called tokencatalog.com. This website has an example of this token listed, as Brass, Round, 17mm in diameter. This site notes it is also "unlisted" which likely means that it is quite rare. That does not mean it is worth a lot of money. I have many rare and unique tokens in my collection that cost between $10 and $100, with some costing hundreds of dollars (and occasionally even more). A token like this is worth whatever you were willing to pay for it and able to negotiate as there are no price lists.

If you have access to St. Louis city directors for 1849-1851 you could likely find the two names listed on this token, and possibly an advertisement.

From the photos it appears your example is in superior condition to the one listed on this website. Is your token struck on a brass planchet?

Congratulations on this acquisition!

Here is a link to this token as listed in tokencatalog.com: http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=423073&inventory_id=439548&td_image_id=270771&attribution_id=434427&record_offset=0

• Options
    edited February 15, 2017 9:40PM

1590 Spanish Netherlands jeton (Dordrecht mint). Silver, 28 mm.

The central device on the obverse depicts six hands grasping a Liberty-cap-topped pillar, representing the six provinces united under Prince Maurice of Nassau, atop the Bible. This device was copied, legends and all, on a rare August 1775 $10 note of North Carolina. A specimen of this exact jeton (in bronze) was discovered in a mid 17th century context in Lower Manhattan at a site known as Heerman's Warehouse. Augustine Heerman (born in Bohemia) operated a trading post at Pearl and Whitehall Streets that dealt in furs, tobacco, provisions, and slaves, among other things. The ANS also makes note of the Heerman's Warehouse find along with cataloguing their specimen. According to the ANS, this issue is the earliest numismatic issue known to be represented in the archaeological record of New York City. A similar image served as the first seal of the Continental Congress (note the modifications), appearing on the title page of the first published proceedings of the Congress in 1774, making it even more interesting IMO:

Question for those who have read my post this far: Twelve arms are featured on the Continental Congress Proceedings; why not 13?
    Answer: Georgia declined to send delegates; this colony was having trouble with Indian raiding along the border with Florida. At this time, Florida was a British colony too. The Georgians didn't want to antagonize Britain.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WDP said:
    If you have access to St. Louis city directors for 1849-1851 you could likely find the two names listed on this token, and possibly an advertisement.

From the photos it appears your example is in superior condition to the one listed on this website. Is your token struck on a brass planchet?

Congratulations on this acquisition!

Thank you! Yes, PCGS shows the variety as, "Miller Mo-22 Brass Fitzgibbon Daguerrotype".

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

Back TTT ... keeping the thread alive with this cool popout!

ANA LM

• Options
    edited February 15, 2017 12:30PM

(ca. 1861) [New York] MILLER’S HAIR INVIGORATOR on 1778 Mexico one real. Brunk M-694
    MILLERS / HAIR / INVIGORATOR were evidently punched with individual stamps. Since a bottle of Miller's concoction, "an effective, safe, and economical compound," was 25 cents, most known examples of this mark are on two reales. Miller seems to have consciously chosen obsolete Spanish-American coins, perhaps because their scarcity in circulation meant they stuck out, or perhaps because bullion dealers sold them at a discount when they were this worn. He also issued Civil War tokens. Miller's product was said to treat gray hair, baldness, dandruff, and pretty much anything else that could go wrong above the scalp. Miller's target demographic looks like the crowd at a lot of coin shows (and I might be able to use a bit myself!). The undertype is a "one bit" that was provably in New York around the time of the Civil War.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options

@CoinZip -- I've seen dozens of HT-75s but that is the only one I've ever seen that is off center to any degree. While yours is only off 3% or so and probably doesn't carry an extra premium, it is interesting and scarce as such. Thanks for posting it!

ANA LM

• Options

• Options

• Options

Maine--Biddeford. MCKENNEY / GUNSMITH / BIDDEFORD on an 1848 Braided Hair Cent, Brunk M-476, Rulau ME-2D, Ex-John J. Ford and F.C.C. Boyd

ANA LM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file