Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The New Registry Format

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2017 5:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ugh.

Updated My Post on Thursday Feb 9th:

Just wanted to say Thank You to Josh Logier who has worked hard to address many of the issues I pointed out.
It's nice when someone at PCGS is responsive and proactive.
SO THANK YOU

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the old one MUCH better! I always say "if it's not broke ..... don't fix it!!!!".

This is REALLY REALLY REALLY bad!!!!!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never trade a Ford for a Ford

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 5:25PM

Some recent tweaks to the format have helped. Thanks

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 2:29PM

Darn I am still in 10th Place.........................I got the Blues.........................Wow you used to be able to see your whole set on ONE page now you have to go thru several pages...............Enjoy Tom

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/2645

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

Also, we lost our visio counts!

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 5:25PM

Thanks to Josh for addressing concerns

• Options

Probably won't happen, but I hope they go back to the old version.

• Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Some of the worst "improvements"

1. Now unable to have custom banners
    2. Now unable to have custom comments
    3. TrueView thumbnails are now smaller and harder to see
    4. Overall clunkier design with fonts too big
    5. A marked loss of artistry

Due to security concerns, HTML is no longer allowed to be embedded by users.

Josh Logier

Software Engineer, PCGS
    app@pcgs.com
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found the thread finally. This change is awful :/:o:s:(:'(
    I cannot cope with these changes. It may sound silly but it's a nightmare. I can't even find stuff anymore.

Please put a "classic view" option
    Please

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 5:26PM
  • Options

@PCGSDev said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Some of the worst "improvements"

1. Now unable to have custom banners
    2. Now unable to have custom comments
    3. TrueView thumbnails are now smaller and harder to see
    4. Overall clunkier design with fonts too big
    5. A marked loss of artistry

Due to security concerns, HTML is no longer allowed to be embedded by users.

Does this mean we won't get the counters back!

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fine to me. It looks like owners comments can support more text.

• Options

THIS IS A GIANT STEP BACKWARDS!!

• Options

The old style was much more user friendly. The members were not asking for a change.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 5:27PM

Consider using gray and white as a base in the tables

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 5:27PM

rather than blue and white

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no.
    I added some inventory a few days ago and it was normal.
    Now I'm afraid to even look.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Please put a "classic view" option
    Please

+1

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say give them a chance to tune it up a little. TrueViews need to be shown. A few tweaks to the look would be nice.

For a bunch of coin lovers, some don't seem like like "change" very much.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@1tommy said:
    Darn I am still in 10th Place.........................I got the Blues.........................Wow you used to be able to see your whole set on ONE page now you have to go thru several pages...............Enjoy Tom

You can simply select "All" on the show dropdown on the top left.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

not all of the images in my set show up. They used to show up. That's in the "dislike" category.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this be the thread upon which to offer constructive criticism, then the first thing I'll say is that the new format has way too much white space because of the "upload/add/delete/what-have-you" buttons in one column. Make these a "..." button instead. Or maybe have nothing there unless the user selects the row, which will then expand it to show those buttons.

Allow hierarchical "group by" that will let us sort things by country, then denomination, then date, for example.

I'm confident that PCGS IT will be tasked with responding to our input and/or asking for more. They were rather responsive with the rollout of the new forum, even though not all wishes were granted.

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps put the self loaded pictures Horizontal...that's what seems to be adding white space...

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happened to the links that brought you to the coins for sale matching your registry needs?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up, went to take a look and after a little bit of stumbling around and finding my sets. Overall, I like the new look better, but it could use some tweaks like some posters have mentioned above. You still get the sale links when you pull up your sets too and all my images do show. I think PCGS gave it more of the look and feel of their home page.

For me, the fonts and readability are much better, especially on the digital albums. Give it time.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 5:04PM

I just learned my way around to old software and I am not looking forward to going through that process again. I like the overall look and it is easy to read. I do like the photo gallery. Nice feature that you can read your comments about the coin below the photo. I am going to hold off on any other comments until I enter some new coins.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found it @Aspie_Rocco

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't give a hoot for the registry info, but I do utilize it to inventory my PCGS graded coins, and for that purpose the revisions are a THUMPS UP.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice plus is if you want to download pics you can do it even after they fully load. With the old system you had to right click on the pic and catch it before it fully loaded.

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a lot of the changes were put in place to make it more user friendly to someone using a mobile device.

10000lakes, it appears you were right. This note was just sent to PCGS Set Registry members by e-mail:

The New PCGS Set Registry!

Dear Set Registry Member,

We are extremely happy to announce that a brand new version of the PCGS Set Registry was launched today. It has been thirteen years since the Registry software has been completely overhauled. Our first version appeared in February, 2001. In 2004 we rolled out version 2. Now we are very excited to present you with a brand new, state-of-the-art PCGS Set Registry! The new software took our team of developers nearly a year to complete because nearly every element in the Registry was addressed.

What does this mean to you? It means that when you use your phones or tablets, you’ll find that this latest version is completely mobile friendly. And, on your PCs you’ll see that the software is snappy and much more intuitive to use. We think you are going to love it!

You’ll notice that the major difference between the new Registry and the old is the way in which you navigate through the site. All of the many great features you have grown to love are still there. You may also notice that the Commit/Rollback requirement is no longer in your sets. Now when you add a coin, your set automatically updates. If you had any pending changes in the last version, you will still need to commit those changes, but moving forward everything will be automatic.

We encourage you to login to the Registry and take a look. We have tested thoroughly and believe that everything is functioning perfectly, but should you find anything that is not working correctly, please contact us right away. Email setregistry@collectors.com.

This is also a good time to let us know what changes you like, don’t like, or don’t understand. And, should you have any new ideas you would like to see implemented in 2017, we’d love to hear from you.

Thank you for your support and loyalty. We appreciate each and every one of you.

Sincerely,

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Program Director

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not into all those nuts and bolts mentioned above, but I like the look of the new format. :)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA has had these changes for a couple of months and it didn't really go well over there. Lots of complaining and questions. PSA & PCGS will not go back to the original design....sorry @DIMEMAN

BTW, I think the improvements are just OK.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noted my displeasure on another thread....TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE!

I see that on the cover page that describes one's album takes up more space than before. I had some comments on a set of mine that no longer is all visible, plus I get an annoying "Comments text is too long."

Example:
    ST. GAUDENS $20 GOLD DATE SET
    Circulation Strikes
    (1907-1932)

1907, Augustus Saint Gaudens created an inspirational theme for the gold $20 double eagle that has become one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, of all American coinage designs. What better way to collect this beautiful coin than by completing this short set of 23 dates. Any mintmark will qualify, which means that common dates will be on an equal footing with extreme rarities. For instance, a regular 1927 from the Philadelphia mint will serve just as admirably as the ultra-rare 1927-D! We deliberately left off the 1933, since only one example can be legally owned (plus, it last sold for $7.59 million in 2002). However, don't get on this ride if you're pregnant, have back problems, or a bad heart -- the 1921 and the dates from 1929-1932 will test the mettle of any collector. Nevertheless, if you're up to the challenge, the rewards will be great.

Blah, blah, blah....this takes up 2/3's of the page.

IT, your "Explanation is too long."

• Options

It's not better at all and I couldn't care less about the moble thing.

• Options
    ThunderproofThunderproof Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 6:12PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    Like the old one MUCH better! I always say "if it's not broke ..... don't fix it!!!!".

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You sure complain a lot without identifying what's wrong.

• Options

@Thunderproof said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You sure complain a lot without identifying what's wrong.

Pretty easy to understand really. No need identifying what's bad......it ALL bad....nothing is better!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

They just fixed the one issue I had pointed out (html in set descriptions was not rendered).

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a few changes could help.

On a desktop, it takes forever to scroll through a set with the new larger, more spaced out formatting. The site also seems to load slower.

Personally, would like to see the following changes.

1.) Default to list all of the coins in a registry set, instead of 50.
    Reason: Less clicks needed. More user friendly.

2.) Smaller font and/or less spacing in the grids. Things appear almost too large on a desktop browser.
    Reason: Easier to discern information at a glance. More user friendly.

3.) Use a different color than pail green for "tied top pop" items.
    Reason: Aesthetics

4.) Go back to the bright yellow color for "sole top pop" items.
    Reason: Aesthetics

5.) Use a bolded font or a darker background color for the items you have already acquired. Doing this would help you quickly identify coins that you already have.
    Reason: Easier to discern information at a glance. More user friendly.

I like the majority of the other changes. Everything looks clean. I haven't added/sold any coins yet with the new format, so I'll comment on those changes as I experience them.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just took a look and didn't notice any new features. Just looked different and seemed dumbed down a bit to work better on mobile devices... even though most mobile devices could probably display the registry fine anyways. I haven't attempted to edit any of my photos or descriptions as I don't want to lose anything if they say my descriptions were too long or something like that... just going to leave it alone for now.

One of the first things I do when I run into a mobile website on my phone is "switch to desktop mode."

But if they change the desktop mode to the mobile version too, I guess I can't do that anymore!!!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me down in the "i like it" column. Granted, I did not use it much before, but for what I used it for, this works better. When adding a coin to a showcase, you had to click on "move up" or "move down" to position it. Now you just click and drag. Sweet!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I literally spent a lot of time and energy getting my set up and visible. Now, not all my pics are even there. No big deal as my set is in my safe and they are prettier to look at in hand.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know that there was a change
    I guess I will have to look and see!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting rid of the ability to add HTML to our descriptions really really really really SUCKS! Some of us had cool stuff to share with fellow collectors and not having that will be a big loss to the Set Registry.

Security concerns??? :confused:

It's odd that on one of my sets the counter I added still works, but on another, it doesn't. I'm sure things will get fixed around as everyone else starts to complain... just like when this forum changed formats. Will check back later I guess...

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

It looks ok to me and I usually whine about everything!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

@jwitten said:
    Put me down in the "i like it" column. Granted, I did not use it much before, but for what I used it for, this works better. When adding a coin to a showcase, you had to click on "move up" or "move down" to position it. Now you just click and drag. Sweet!

That was click and drag before.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    Getting rid of the ability to add HTML to our descriptions really really really really SUCKS! Some of us had cool stuff to share with fellow collectors and not having that will be a big loss to the Set Registry.

Security concerns??? :confused:

Some type of Markdown might be a decent compromise. Allowing custom HTML definitely opens up potential security holes.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The New PCGS Set Registry!

Dear Set Registry Member,

We are extremely happy to announce that a brand new version of the PCGS Set Registry was launched today. It has been thirteen years since the Registry software has been completely overhauled. Our first version appeared in February, 2001. In 2004 we rolled out version 2. Now we are very excited to present you with a brand new, state-of-the-art PCGS Set Registry! The new software took our team of developers nearly a year to complete because nearly every element in the Registry was addressed.

What does this mean to you? It means that when you use your phones or tablets, you’ll find that this latest version is completely mobile friendly. And, on your PCs you’ll see that the software is snappy and much more intuitive to use. We think you are going to love it!

You’ll notice that the major difference between the new Registry and the old is the way in which you navigate through the site. All of the many great features you have grown to love are still there. You may also notice that the Commit/Rollback requirement is no longer in your sets. Now when you add a coin, your set automatically updates. If you had any pending changes in the last version, you will still need to commit those changes, but moving forward everything will be automatic.

We encourage you to login to the Registry and take a look. We have tested thoroughly and believe that everything is functioning perfectly, but should you find anything that is not working correctly, please contact us right away. Email setregistry@collectors.com.

This is also a good time to let us know what changes you like, don’t like, or don’t understand. And, should you have any new ideas you would like to see implemented in 2017, we’d love to hear from you.

Thank you for your support and loyalty. We appreciate each and every one of you.

Sincerely,

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Program Director
    setregistry@collector

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I see what you did there Mark. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file