Home Sports Talk
Options

Boston Red Sox 2017

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Boston is a deeply flawed team and showed it." Ahhhhhh, here we have the DOOFUS post of the thread by dbtunr, who now is still trying to get all that egg off his face. How's that "deeply flawed" workin' for ya today???

Boston whips up on the hapless Yankees in a serious 10-5 spanking that is still smarting in the Bronx. Just for good measure, a Red Sox rookie sets 3 records for performance in Yankee stadium. How do you spell "deeply flawed"??
    Simple, B-E-N-I-N-T-E-N-D-I. Oh yeah...Red Sox now have a 4.5 game lead over the Yankees. A better than average shot tomorrow of making it 5.5 with Sale taking the hill.

I'm sure dbtunr thoroughly enjoyed those two 3-run homers, but perhaps not as much as me!

Dump da crystal ball thingy...it ain't workin' for you. I can only hope the Red Sox are equally flawed tomorrow.

In the vernacular of my beloved New England language...WICKED GOOD GAME!!!

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Or what we used to say in Walpole in the mid fiftys, MELLO.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2017 4:52AM

Oh yeah...real classy how the Yankee LOOOOOOOOOOOZER fans booed Pomeranz when he left the game. No class fans, that's why Red Sox fans dislike (or should I say hate?) the Yankees.
    I've been to several Red Sox-Yankees games in Fenway park...when a Yankee pitcher got taken out and he pitched well, he generally got a standing ovation from Red Sox fans. Unheard of in the Bronx. It's called respect, Yankee fans don't get it.

Now, Steve Howe got seriously booed and I was with the crowd...HE deserved it!! Coke head junkie.

Jump in dbtunr, would love for your comments on the "deeply flawed" Red Sox team.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Boston loses any playoff series with at most 1 win. They are a deeply flawed team. Why can't you man up and admit that? I am a Yanks fan, and they are deeply flawed. I can admit that. The Yanks are just too streaky and lack an ace. Severino at age 23 may get there in time. Take out Sale and Boston is no better than the Jays.

• Options

Pathetic response from a pathetic Yankee fan. Suck it up, your team is 4.5 back...Judge goes 0-4 and adds a dbl play. Your team is mediocre at best. Might be 5.5 and done after tonight, at best 3.5

No better than the last place Jays, really? Get your head out of the sand and read some stats.

Of course no props to Benintendi or Pomeranz. That's the big problem with Yankee fans, totally unable to appreciate and compliment good baseball play.

Thanks for the personal insult...noted.

• Options

Two Rookies beat the Yankees. :)

One of them hits a 103mph smoker from Chapman to deep center field for the tie, the other hits the go ahead run for the win. Judge continues to miss the mark and goes 1-4.

No doubt many long faces leaving the Bronx Zoo last night...hopefully many more long faces when the teams meet again next week in Fenway.

A nice 5.5 game lead...here come the very tough Indians.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice series win by the Bosox. The Yankees are making short work of their rebuild but they are showing they're still a ways away.

Daniel
  • Options

Looks to me like our GM has made the right moves.
    Not so sure about the Yankees GM though.

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Nice series win by the Bosox. The Yankees are making short work of their rebuild but they are showing they're still a ways away.

The Yankees gave away a lot of talented players to try and win it all this year.

• Options

"You guys going to rest Chris Sale down the stretch ? He has a history of going a little south towards the end of the season. Big decision."

HUH? Your post makes no sense. Gee, maybe Dumbrowski is gonna have Farrell pitch him every day and just burn him out. Why don't you give credit where credit is due instead of posting nonsense?

Oh yeah...don't look now, but your team is 21.5 out of first place in their division. TOAST !!

• Options

"Nice series win by the Bosox. The Yankees are making short work of their rebuild but they are showing they're still a ways away.
    Daniel"

Classy post by what appears to be a Yankee fan. REFRESHING !!

I'd wish your team good luck, but you know I can't do that.

Al

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    You guys going to rest Chris Sale down the stretch ? He has a history of going a little south towards the end of the season. Big decision.

Yes they should rest him , but since bitch boy Price is out on snowflake leave they won't , get your brooms ready to wave come playoff time we are going to get swept

• Options

I couldn't agree more about Price, what a loser. His pitching is pathetic and he wants to blame everybody but himself. Challenging Eckersley was pretty lame. Eck pitched for 24 seasons, and I suspect knows a lot more about pitching than Price, by miles and miles.

He has become the new "problem to deal with"...aka Sandoval, both very expensive, one gone, one to go. Hopefully the other pitchers pick up the slack and make a decent run. Time will tell.

• Options

@pitboss said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

The Yankees gave away a lot of talented players to try and win it all this year.

Who did they give away exactly? Fowler was on the DL with a devastating knee injury that he may or may not come back from. Kaprelian has been hurt 2 straight years and is having TJ surgery. He won't be back until July of 2018 at the earliest and won't be major league ready until 2019 at best. Tyler Clippard? He throws a 88 MPH fastball and throws a 78 MPG chanegup every other pitch. Just wait for a changeup and its like hitting in batting practice. Jorge Mateo was highly regarded. He could actually be the key they miss. He was suspended last year by the AA team for disciplinary reasons. Don't know what that means but it doesn't sound good.

The other players were Blake Rutherford, their first-round pick last year, plus lefty prospect Ian Clarkin, outfield prospect Tito Polo. all these guys are 2-3 years away. All these guys would probably have been lost to Rule 5 draft. You can only protect 40 players every year. When you have so many prospects either you get something for them or you lose them.

The guys they got are not rentals. Kahnle is signed for 2 more years, Gray for 2 more years, and Robertson for next year.

Yes, it was a nice series win for the Sox. Chapman appears injured and is not saying. Maddon wrecked him from overuse last year. the Yanks were aware of the overuse but figured he would bounce back next year and beyond.

• Options

Not to hijack this thread but I agree with dbtunr. The general consensus is that the Yankees had an excellent trade deadline. They dealt from depth and got some pieces that can help them for a few years.

Daniel
  • Options

Perhaps two posters above missed the thread header...Boston Red Sox 2017.

Most, if not all of us who post here couldn't care less about what the Yankees do, or don't do...moreover, we don't even know the players you're posting about.

I'm sure you have some good points to make in terms of Yankee activities, I'd suggest one of you open a thread entitled New York Yankees 2017, where I'm sure you'd get more response from other posters, other than a rather generic post by a long time Red Sox poster here.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2017 7:26PM
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

It's nice to see some of the old posters show up on this thread. I guess a winning team attracts them.

• Options

@1970s said:

@MCMLVTopps said:
    "You guys going to rest Chris Sale down the stretch ? He has a history of going a little south towards the end of the season. Big decision."

HUH? Your post makes no sense. Gee, maybe Dumbrowski is gonna have Farrell pitch him every day and just burn him out. Why don't you give credit where credit is due instead of posting nonsense?

Oh yeah...don't look now, but your team is 21.5 out of first place in their division. TOAST !!

Are you serious dude ? What is your problem ? Seriously ?

I was watching the Red Sox - Yankee game the other night and one of the announcers spoke about how Chris Sale tails off at the end of the year. He mentioned that he's about 6'6 and 180 lbs. and that may have something to do with it.
    Being that Sale has never pitched in a long playoff run, I was just wondering if RSN thought it would be a good idea to rest him, and you go all off on my question.

I will never come back here again. You guys can have this thread. Geez.

I envision him yelling "Get of my lawn" all day. Good win for Sox last night. Yanks pen implodes again. Price may be out for the year.

I do think Sale will eventually break down.

• Options

Everybody loves a winner...let's see what the next 3 games do.

Red Sox have a golden opportunity to really bury the Yankees, or end somewhere between 1 up, or 7 up...BIG SWING!!

• Options

I would like to offer my apologies to "1970s"...my response to his post about Sale was inappropriate and out of line.
    I hope he'll continue to post here and not avoid this thread as the season moves forward.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Perhaps two posters above missed the thread header...Boston Red Sox 2017.

Most, if not all of us who post here couldn't care less about what the Yankees do, or don't do...moreover, we don't even know the players you're posting about.

I'm sure you have some good points to make in terms of Yankee activities, I'd suggest one of you open a thread entitled New York Yankees 2017, where I'm sure you'd get more response from other posters, other than a rather generic post by a long time Red Sox poster here.

I thought you would enjoy another perspective I'm with 1970s - I'm done with this thread too. (BTW - congrats on another series win this weekend).

Daniel
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 8:04PM

Ok, so i just don't understand it. Bottom 8, up one run. 2 men on 0 out. Don't you want your best reliever in to put out the fire? Instead bring in hembree and his 3.50 era to give up the lead. I hate the "closer" position. If a pitcher is so emotionally fragile that they can only come in at the start of a clean inning are they really that impressive? Kimbrel should have been in there in the eighth to put out that rally. Good grief

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I couldn't agree more...then, of course, Brock gets the brain freeze allowing the run to score from second base.

Farrell remains an enigma to me with some of his decisions, like supporting the toad just days before he got dumped.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMHO from reading a little of this thread --- I find it ironic that there is so much WHINING about the players by the Red Sox fans here, it comes across as whining about whining players. what is it with you guys??? do you like to follow your Team or just like to whine about the Sox when they don't win??

any chance of you guys popping a cork and slicing some cheese about that implosion in the 9th last night against the Indians???

• Options

** Kimbrel should have been in there in the eighth to put out that rally. Good grief**

as an Indians fan I was of course watching the game with Cleveland announcers. there perspective seemed to be that that you can't stay too focused on just the game you're in, you can't take a chance on a game where no outcome is guaranteed and put the next few games at risk.

this was the first game of a four game series between the two Teams and they all will probably be playoff caliber games. I would believe Farrell didn't want to risk not having his closer on Wednesday or Thursday, or to have him not quite as sharp for those games due to the extra work.

managing is an Art Form in my mind. consider what Tito has facing him right now --- the Team just cam off a four City 11-game road trip with no days off to play the Red Sox, Royals and Yankees before the next off day on the 31st. then the y have the Tigers, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers and Royals --- 18 games in 17 days before another day off. at this time of year brutal is an understatement.

to further complicate the manager's job are the injuries --- Cleveland is missing two starters in the field(Brantley and Chisenhall), Kluber should pitch against Sale on Wednesday but he twisted his ankle last Friday and was removed, Tomlin is down, also --- and last night Andrew Miller took himself out after seven pitches and Santana had back spasms.

I can't speak to the Boston injury prognosis, but at this point in the season things get pretty dicey pretty quick. maybe it looked like the wrong move yesterday, Craig, but it will probably look like a smart move over the next few days or weeks. Boston is vulnerable right now. I don't know what their schedule looks like but they could be 1-2 player injuries away from disaster.

• Options

Why is it whining when we're discussing the results of the game? Brock pretty much blew the game instead of holding the ball, he launched it well left of 3rd base, game over. That's just a fact, but, if you must call it whining, so be it. Should we have been more pleased with the outcome? Perhaps is you read more of the thread you might get a better flavor of what at least I think...I have ZERO patience for players like Sandoval and Price, the first is gone, the other is well on his way. They were (are) being paid a fortune for non-performance.

OTOH, to sound more upbeat, how about Benintendi, and Devers?

No wine, no cheese, but, I did pop a few beers over the Cubs last year. ;) Tough to lose that thing after being up 3-1 in the series. Really a well played WS, I guess it was the Cubs year.

On a separate issue, I think Tito got screwed by Red Sox management. After winning two world series, I thought he was beyond bullet proof. The collapse came, when they were expected to walk away with another ring. Players let everybody down, the fans, management and themselves...worst in the bunch was Ramirez, who, IMO, became a cancer to the team. The Red Sox team was just mailing it in towards the end and Tito was left holding the bag. Tito was weary from the BS and just said no mas and took a hike. The Indians are blessed to have Tito as manager, he will always be beloved in Boston, he brought us to an incredible AL championship against the Yankees, after being down 0-3, and took the next 8 for the huge win. Three years later he brought another WS win to the Red Sox...and they dumped on him later. Pretty lame.

I think the next two series with the Yankees are big, BUT, bigger than that are the 4 season ending games against the Astros in Houston that the Red Sox had best be bringing their AAA game, or they'll be searching for a Wild Card spot.

Did my best not to whine.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Just got back from Boston, had the good fortune of attending Fridays game vs the Yankees with $25 scalped tickets.
    What a game! Loved Boston, beautiful city.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 10:41PM

Good trivia question:

How do you pitch 9 innings (27 outs), win the game, pitch a complete game, not give up a hit or run in that span, and NOT pitch a no-hitter and shutout?

Doug Fister just did it against the Indians.

Steve

• Options

**"not give up a hit or run in that span"

How did you discount the Lindor homerun in the first inning? Fister pitched a ONE hitter.

• Options

so aside from the first batter, he then pitched 9 innings, no hits and no runs. I think that has been done before but it is still an accomplishment against a good team no less

• Options

very poor performance by the Indians but it has proven to be their form this year. they tend to run around the bases for several games and then come out flat as though the entire Team has no approach at the plate. that isn't to take anything away from what Fister did, though I see him as only an average pitcher reflected by his record. sometimes the right guy catches the right Team at exactly the right time. this was Doug Fister's time and he excelled.

it's weird in baseball how sometimes the pitcher and catcher can call for the right pitch for an entire game. that's how it looked last night and Fister had good location. it seemed like whenever he made a mistake the hitters were looking for something different and he never paid the piper.

although the Red Sox were already up 3-1 in the seventh inning, I thought the game turned in the span of about 4-5 pitches. I was quite sure that Tito would lift Carrasco after seven and hindsight says he should have done it after the hit batter and single, that hit after he was up 0-2. once that happened and Nuenez doubled I think Francona resigned to accept a loss.

the Indians didn't appear to have any "fight" in them at all.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    **"not give up a hit or run in that span"

How did you discount the Lindor homerun in the first inning? Fister pitched a ONE hitter.

It was really a trick question.

Fister got 27 outs, without giving up either a hit or a run during that span (between the 1st out and the 27th out.

Steve

• Options

well, Game Four of this series highlights what I mentioned about the Indians --- they will go into a shell for a few games and then explode. it wouldn't surprise me to see them reel off 6-7 wins in the next week.

at the forefront of this series was the prospect of a Kluber vs. Sale match-up on Wednesday which never happened. in hindsight it would have been a classic, but absent that it's interesting to compare what took place in their two games:
    Kluber --- 7+ innings, 2 earned runs and 12 K's.
    Sale --- against a severely depleted line-up, 3 innings, 7 runs and a quick shower.

it should be an interesting run to the Cy Young.

• Options

@keets said:
    well, Game Four of this series highlights what I mentioned about the Indians --- they will go into a shell for a few games and then explode. it wouldn't surprise me to see them reel off 6-7 wins in the next week.

at the forefront of this series was the prospect of a Kluber vs. Sale match-up on Wednesday which never happened. in hindsight it would have been a classic, but absent that it's interesting to compare what took place in their two games:
    Kluber --- 7+ innings, 2 earned runs and 12 K's.
    Sale --- against a severely depleted line-up, 3 innings, 7 runs and a quick shower.

it should be an interesting run to the Cy Young.

Maybe the end of season "breakdown Sale" has begun B) , I have been on vacation so I'm not watching red sox games I'm only speculating. But Sale has that rep , and since snowflake price has "melted" down the stretch Chris has been the only name starter we have now. If he is breaking down it should not be taking the team by surprise

• Options

It does seem like Sale is breaking down. Not sure why they revamped their order so he would pitch in each of the 3 last Yankee series. In 4 starts against the Yankees, he is 0-2. When a team sees a pitcher so often in rapid fashion, they have better success. It's why you don't want to start a pitcher 3X in a 7 game series.

• Options

Red Sox appear to be imploding...and, at home. Their lead now down to 3.5 games...big series this weekend in the Bronx.

• Options

a good part of it is injury related, it tests the Manager and wears down the players. being able to catch their breath would help and that's not a luxury at this point in the season. if the Sox get swept by he Orioles the series with the Yanks could be really interesting.

• Options

I really hope the Sox have seen enough of Ramirez. Maybe Timlin will borrow a duck boat with a big hole in the bottom of it instead of his bus to load Ram and Price for a quick dip in the Charles.

• Options

The whole team is imploding...now only 2.5 back of the Yankees...luckily, the Yankees get the Indians, we get Toronto.

They better wake up and play some ball, or my earlier prediction may well come true.

• Options

Ugh , 2 times thrown out going for home? They were not even close why so many stupid mistakes of that kind?

Blah blah blah we are an aggressive team fine whatever but baserunning errors and stranded runners are really costing this team this year.

Also , Sale is pitching great through 7 why send him out for the 8th I think he was over 100 pitches, makes no sense to me after a few tough games you get a good effort why let it get soured for nothing? Former pitching coach Farrell is not handling the pitching staff very well. It's like he uses a dartboard in the dugout to make decisions

• Options

Beat up on the weak teams and split with the good teams is a winning combination. We shall see what happens a little further down the road.

• Options

Even if the Red Sox split with the Yankees, they'll still have a 3.5 game lead...a sweep would be the death knell for the Yankees. Not likely a Yankees sweep given their performance lately.

Luckily, Toronto comes to Boston next week and the Yankees get the Orioles. Having gotten their 5.5 game lead back, each win drives the nail a lot deeper.

Judge is beyond struggling for the Yankees, he has to have some issues physically, mentally, or both.
    Looked like Yankee stadium was almost a ghost town last night.

Could be Indians/Dodgers in the WS, both teams are clicking nicely. Not discounting the Red Sox, but I think they have a hill to climb to win it all.

• Options

Gonna be interesting to see the condition of Fenway Park on Monday after two back to back Lady Ga Ga concerts. There are untold number of seats throughout the playing area, and a huge stage set up in deep center field for last night's and tonight's concert. The ground crew will be in high gear Sunday as the Sox wrap up the Yankee series.

• Options

it appears the predictions of Sale's year end slumping are accurate, he has looked pretty bad against two Teams he needs to be, Cleveland and New York. looking at the schedules it could come down to the final series for the AL East Championship, with Boston fighting for that and Houston fighting for home-field advantage through the playoffs. with this latest run the Indians have passed the Red Sox and are now closing on the Astros with a nice September push.

Boston/NY's fate now rests on how well they can close out against both Toronto and Baltimore, should be a good month of baseball.

• Options

I agree completely. The Red Sox are going nowhere this year. Their problem started when they overextended on contracts with Ramirez and fat boy and let a good manager walk away to keep a bozo. They did not want to spend over the limit to get Ortiz's replacement. Encanarcion wanted to come to Boston and it should have been a no brainer to get him. They also passed on Verlander and he went to this years world series winner instead. Meanwhile the sox are making big money on lady gaga. Its all about the money folks and to hell with fielding a good team. Just my two cents worth!

• Options

The inept play of the Red Sox leaves me without words.

Whether they win the Division or not, they are not a championship team, and are simply unable to score runs when needed. Opportunity was screaming when they had the Yankees down 5.5 and could have nailed it shut...losing 3 out of 4 was pitiful.

It cost John Henry a king's ransom to jettison tubby at 3rd...now they have a pair of prima donnas just mailing it in...that would be Price and Ramirez...both have contributed next to NADA this season, given their outrageous salaries.

While I'm at it, that silly crap that the 3 outfielders do in the outfield after a win is just beyond bush league. Most are more than likely planning their uber Fall vacations anyway.

I couldn't agree more with Keets and Pitboss above.

I've simply lost interest.