Home Sports Talk

Boston Red Sox 2017

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Red Sox fan, but they have had some great players over the years. I'll never forget the HR Pudge hit in Game 6 to keep them alive back in the day. And it was against my Reds.

And who can forget coming back from 0-3 to beat the Yanks and go on to sweep STL in the WS in 2004. That is something that will probably never be done again.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I agree with you completely!
    Still watch all the games hoping that it will be a good show.
    Am still doing well but don't travel anywhere any more like you do.
    Enjoy that as long as you can my friend.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pit,
    I guess I've just lost patience with the uber over paid and under performing Red Sox acquisitions. The bloom is just kinda off the flower for me with the team and management. I have no use for Farrell and his never-ending weird analysis of individual and team performance...geez, they are getting paid to PERFORM, most are mediocre at best, yet pull in a fortune for 6 months of "playing" baseball.

As for travel, we enjoyed our Caribbean cruise on Celebrity and plan more in the future. We booked a 14 day cruise from Australia to New Zealand at Thanksgiving...hopefully the 15 hour flight from LA to Sydney will not be as unbearable as I'm thinking. Gonna be a thrill to fly from Atlanta to Sydney the same day, then reverse course about 18 days later.

Anyway, keep moving, at least get out and drive and take in the scenery. Stay well!!

Al

Could the Red Sox have found a magic pill? Mookie ties a MLB record for RBIs for a leadoff batter...8. Ramirez begins to earn his $$.

Price squabbles with Eck on team flight...gotta toughen up that skin Davey, and the only way to do that is to PITCH like the bajillionaire amount of money you're being paid to do. P-E-R-F-O-M-A-N-C-E!!

The Toad is in his Toad cave counting all of John Henry's money. He has an inner ear infection...please get rid of this useless waste...SOON!!

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

as flawed as they are, they are starting to pull away. I guess it helps when every other team in the division is below 500 or in terrible slumps.

The following is a classic Farrellism...compliments of MLB Headlines, as Farrell speaks about El Sapo Grande Gordo...aka the useless 3rd baseman, aka looooooooozer, aka Pablo Sandoval.

“We’ve got to keep him involved, and we’ve got to keep trying to build some momentum and confidence with him,” manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s game in Houston. “By no means has he been forgotten about, and yet there’s work ongoing to continue to build that kind of momentum. The ability to impact the baseball from the left side of the plate, I firmly believe is still there. We need another bat in our lineup to produce.”

Stunning, just STUNNING, that at this stage of Sandoval's grossly inept and INSANELY ridiculous salary for doing almost nothing in his Red Sox uniform, that Farrell could utter such crap. Fatty is now on the DL with some kind of ongoing ear infection. I remember when I was a kid, I worked an ear thing into a day out of school...day 2 my mom showed me the door.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al I'm also tired of the stupid money and horrible work ethic of these crybabies. And Farrell is doing his best to be Tito and pampering his guys. Either way they have a solid team and IF they make the ALCS then I will start to watch them.

GONE finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you think he can survive on the 50 mill he is due to get?
    Ramirez had better get his stupid act together or he will be the next one to go.
    Unfortunately Sandoval did not take Farrell with him.

Finally the blobster is gone...ding dong the witch is dead. The Timlin bus was unable to transport El Gordo, so, a flatbed truck was brought in to haul El Sapo Gordo Grande to the recycle center.

Sadly, we lost Travis Shaw in a pre-season decision to move him, thinking the Blobster was gonna work out. The never ending FARCE of a manager, one Mr. Farrell, not long ago was touting that there was hope and an eager effort to salvage the Blobster...ah, sanity prevailed.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great win tonight to begin the second half of the season. Usually it's the Yankees coming back to win late,especially in the bottom of the ninth when at home.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

I may have to eat some words...I predicted the team would go nowhere this year. Got to watch the game last night, a rarity for Red Sox fans who live in the Atlanta area like me. The team made a superb comeback to pull it out...LOVED the double steal, which turned the game. Walking in the winning run was just salt into the wounds to the Yankees...Joe Girardi looked like his dog just got run over by a bus.

Is it me, or does Chase Headley always look angry? Don't think I've ever seen him smile.

Ecstatic that Sandoval is gone... I wonder if that's the most expensive (almost $50 Million) DFA in major league baseball...gotta be. Fatty is laughing all the way to the bank. Surely this is a tax write off for the team.

Now a 3.5 game cushion, and the Yankees falling to 3rd place, 4.5 back is even sweeter. Last 10 for the Yankees is 3-7...not good.

Nice thing about Fenway, if you're an opponent, and a bitter rival, you gotta look at the standings scoreboard in big bright numbers on the Monster Wall in left field. I'll bet Joe won't like the view today.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great catch by JB Jr. to rob Judge of a 2 run HR in last nights Sox win.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

As flawed as the Yankees have proven to be, so are the Red Sox. Niether team is championship quality. Both may make the playoffs but will go no where. I hope the Yankees sell some of their high priced vets and get some more young talent.

Well the Yankees made their big move. Now it's up to the Red Sox to make a move as they can't hit a lick.

I was surprised to hear old friend Mike Timlin handling color on last nights game. I guess his bus didn't break down on the trip over.

Well they could not find somebody for 3rd base so here comes Devers. No one wanted to give away any 3rd baseman for what the Sox could afford and stay under the limit to avoid a penalty. I hope he can handle it.

I'm not sure why the Yankees think Frazier is an improvment to Headley. Frazier is hitting like 200. should have let Boston grab him

I like Devers better than Frazier myself but it was just an afterthought to the Robertson deal as much as keeping him away from the Sox.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a worthless POS David Price is , talking $hit to Eck again , he is such a coward , such a soft little jellyfish of a man. This is like the second or third time he has taken shots publicly at a local favorite who being on the team payroll can't fight back. Last time he had the nerve to say Eckersley didn't understand what it was like to play the game how hard it was :D . Can't manage a win in the post season but paying him all those millions to tweet seems like a fair trade

Price came with a heavy price

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anyone on the Red Sox team you guys like?
    Just hope Moose isn't a Red Sox next year, he might hit 45 HR and get booed.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

I would sure like Moose on the Sox and he would sure be a welcome addition but I doubt if it will ever happen. We are stuck with worthless players like Han and Price because of very bad decisions a couple of years ago. We do like players on our team that are worthy of our respect but these two are not.

Duquette and Cherington gave us some clowns to deal with....waaaaaaaaaay overpaid and woefully underperforming. If memory serves, Dave Dumbrowski gave us the latest cluck, cluck...Dave "I have a MASSIVE ego" Price. The money given to these people is beyond insane, not worthy of my BP going up to crunch the numbers. Yo cluck cluck...throw the ball and keep the pie hole shut, the Fenway Faithful will surely reward you with ongoing boos that will seriously bruise your ego.

Price gets facey with the Hall of Famer, Eckersley, and "The Worm", aka Farrell can't find the cajones to apologize to Eck for the childish tantrum of Mr. Potty Mouth, aka Price. What a friggin barn fire!!

As for Timlin...not worthy of my key strokes, he must be behind on his mortgage payments for them to allow him into the booth. Hopefully, his bus has been repaired and he's behind the wheel. Thankful I don't have the Baseball package to have to listen to his nonsense...put Mike Lowell in there.

3rd base? Got no clue.

The Red Sox team needs a manager like Dick "NO BS" Williams...oh yeah, Hall of Famer too.

Pit...pls don't tell me if you hear Bus Boy again, it's hard on my digestion. :)

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send Price to the Orioles if you don't like him. I'm sure they could deal with his mouth and issues as long as he replaced Jimenez or Miley in the rotation.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

@orioles93 said:
    Send Price to the Orioles if you don't like him. I'm sure they could deal with his mouth and issues as long as he replaced Jimenez or Miley in the rotation.

thats fine but don't forget his most important stat , any time he starts a playoff game the team loses. So it means he can win 20 games during the regular season then will choke in the playoffs is a lock.

Also he is going to need tommy john surgery this year or next

Sox pick up Nunez. Gave up nothing. Seems positive for them. As flawed as the Yankees are, they have a one game lead in the loss column in the division now.

Caught some of the game from Seattle this afternoon. Horror of horrors, the bus driver, aka Mike Timlin trying to be the cool analyst...:(
    Earth to Timlin, IT AIN'T WORKIN', you are dismal at best. Your quippy little baseballisms are woefully sad. Crank up your bus and go away, maybe Wendy's needs a grill guy. Your attempt at sounding like Eckersley is, in a word...PATHETIC!!

Price goes on 10 day DL with elbow issues again. For a guy who talks so much smack, he sure does not back it up

@dbtunr said:
    Price goes on 10 day DL with elbow issues again. For a guy who talks so much smack, he sure does not back it up

His elbow is fine , they did that because the fans were going to boo the little snowflake when he took the mound. He will wind up being the guy that gets paid a million a start who can't pitch at home .

Yankees and rays picking up all kinds of help and so far all the sox have picked up is Nunez.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for the Red Sox but Mookie Betts should have been the MVP of the All-Star game with his defensive play.

Right at the deadline the red sox made a move , the sent David Price to build a bear to get himself a special friend to cuddle at night.

But seriously the Yankees made a deal that should put them past the Sox for the rest of the year .

Nice win last night, pulling 3 games up on the hated Yanks :)

Red Sox now enjoying a 3 game lead in the AL East, with a big opportunity later this week to bury the Yankees. Then they play the Yankees in Fenway a little later... got some Tampa Bay in there too...opportunity knocks!!

Well, for those Jonesing for an update on El Sapo Gordo Grande...he is now playing for the Giants, recently called up from a brief stint in AAA ball. Rumor has it he's recovering from a hernia from carrying John Henry's paycheck to his bank. Make sure to get all your birthday best wishes in, Sapo's b-day is Aug 11th, be sure to include some "special" New England vernacular in your narrative. :)

They may be up but they can only win 1 playoff game. Chris Sale can win the first then its out in straight losses

"They may be up but they can only win 1 playoff game. Chris Sale can win the first then its out in straight losses"

And what crystal ball did you use to discern such a prediction of 1 and done? As seen in the Indians game, Sale can collapse as well as anyone else. I think any playoff game or WS game is a different world from regular season. Witness the 2004 miracle comeback by the Red Sox after being down 0-3 against the Yankees, then they won 8 in a row for the WS title.

I can't buy the 1 and done...I'd sooner believe they don't make it at all, as I said earlier in the season. I will say, things appear to be clicking along with the w/o homers and more stability now that the Fat Waste is gone. Better to be 3 games up, with an opportunity to bury your opponent, than 3 games down. Time will tell.

SO you don't even think Sale can win the first game :D

Who starts game 2? Price , Price is more useless than Panda was , Panda just ate and sat out or ate and made errors , he was at least bright enough to shut up and cash his checks without making waves.

So Price starts and loses game 2 if Sale lost game 1 then what? :D Game three start is ? Game 4 starter is?

The team consists of a lot of the same idiots as before but last year we had Big Papi and now we don't. We lost his offense and more importantly his leaving left the team with no leadership. The team is mentally fragile , they are worse than the chicken and beer crew, and Farrell is a moron who can't manage in game. He was hired to control egos and he can't even do that now.

I think you have a bit more myopic view of the team than I do. Never said Sale couldn't win the first game of any playoff scenario. I merely mentioned that he imploded in the recent Indian's game, meaning...anyone can have a bad game.

But, you are grasping at wisps of smoke that don't exist right now. I'm not sure I'd refer to the team as "the team consists of a lot of the same idiots as before but last year we had Big Papi and now we don't"...

You have your opinion...I'm done with this, pointless, really.

I gotta tip my cap...seven in a row for the Red Sox...and, a nice Yankees loss = a 4 game lead in the AL East.

I am still here watching every game and keeping my mouth shut.

Pit...Why on earth would you stay quiet? You and I are just about the only ones who post here.

I still have doubts about post season play, but, as mentioned above, they seem to be clicking. Must be the absence of the "Bozo Virus", at 3rd base. I think the Yankees series this weekend could be a turning point as the season winds down.

Thought you didn't get the baseball package this year. ;)

BTW, I sold some baseball cards to a guy that lives in Norwood. He lives on 3rd street, I think near the Norwood airport. He has a 7 year old son, so I popped a bunch of Red Sox cards to him as a freebie gift. His son sent me a nice thank you note, as you can imagine the hand writing of a 7 year old. I think I may surprise him at Christmas and send him a complete Topps factory sealed set from the many I have. Feels good to make a little boy smile....he was thrilled to get 3 Yazs and an Ortiz.

I managed to get the NFL ticket package comped from Directv...so, I'll get to see Brady do his thing at each game...unless I get overruled.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta say, the Sox are on a great roll now. Disappointed that the Yankees have sucked wind over the past week. I'll be watching this weekend but it would be nice if the standings were a little closer.

Daniel

I could not resist getting the package finally when I missed a few games that I really wanted to see.
    They got rid of fat man but they still have Price and Ramirez stinking up the house.
    That was a nice thing you did with the cards for that guys kid. I used to laugh at my kids collecting every baseball card they could get their hands on back in the 60's and 70's. Their closets were overflowing with them but I guess they were smarter than their old man. They still have them all to this day.
    I have not made up my mind about the NFL ticket yet. We get quite a few of the games on here anyway and just can't see spending that kind of money for the few I miss. I remember going to the games before they even had the first stadium in Foxboro at all the different locations around Boston .I even attended the first one at the old stadium in foxboro. I only lived about a mile from there.

Pit...I'm told by neighbors here that if you kinda cry and whine, and threaten to drop Directv, that they will pop for the NFL ticket package. Don't even think about Uverse, been there, done that...nightmare. Directv has the rights to NFL ticket and the extra innings package for baseball.
    Tell them you've been a loyal customer for xxx years and see if they'll pop for the ticket.

BTW, they gave me 90 days of all the movie channels, comped the $199 installation reverse from Uverse back to Directv, a $35 credit on my first bill, as mentioned, the NFL ticket, and a $100 Visa debit card. I'm told all new customers get the NFL ticket for free...you should give it at least a try, it's just keystrokes to them, the signal is still beaming down on your house.

Yup, baseball cards of long ago and far away. We used to skip cards up against the wall in school, leaners topped everything. Pls don't ask how many rookie Mantle's went through my little fingers!! :(

If I knew then what I know now, I'd be living on about 500 acres somewhere in New Hampshire.

BTW, BTW...if you like English crime/drama/mysteries...check out Foyle's War on Netflix. About 40 shows, 1.5 hours in length, very, very well done. We're down to 4 left to watch, I think we're gonna have withdrawal when we watch the last one.

Stay well in ABQ.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Pit...I'm told by neighbors here that if you kinda cry and whine, and threaten to drop Directv, that they will pop for the NFL ticket package.

I didn't even have to cry and whine. They just sent me an email out of the blue that said "hey, we wanna give you NFL Sunday Ticket". Works for me!

Big win by Yanks in first game of series with their ace pitching tomorrow. Boston is a deeply flawed team and showed it. Looks like it's the Dodgers this year.

I wouldn't get overly exuberant, and for you to say that Boston is a deeply flawed team after they just won 8 in a row is ridiculous. As for the "big win", had not Nunez gotten a brain freeze, the outcome could easily have been different.
    Last time I checked, Boston is still in the lead by 3.5 games...if the Bronx Bozos choke today, it'll be 4.5.

Be thankful they put in a chump pitcher instead of their ace closer.

Last nights game was just the way baseball goes. You win some games like that and you lose some. They are still 3 1/2 games in front with 2 quality pitchers going today and tomorrow so we will see what happens.
    I tried to get the free NFL package but could not get them to give it to me free but did get $25.00 off my monthly bill so all was not lost. I just can not justify paying $47.00 a month so they can pay these idiot players millions of dollars. The mlb package costs only $26.00 a month and it includes 162 games as opposed 16. I get 4 or 5 of those 16 on free tv anyway.
    I remember using the sports card as noise makers attached by closepins on my bike in the 40's and 50's. How many of them were Dimagio, Mantle, Williams and all the greats from that era? I could have had 500 acres right next to yours in New Hampshire my friend.

Yup, I put baseball cards on the spokes of my bike as well....geez, 1,000 acres between us...good stuff.

I distinctly recall buying a lot of Bowman's, only because of the TV picture around the player's pic. Indeed many, many untold numbers of 1955 Topps went through my fingers right out of the pack. Girls used to hand over the cards, they just wanted that big pink slab of gum. OHHHHHH to know then what I know now...might be living in Bora Bora.

Bummer on the NFL ticket...when you get the recorded voice, just reply that you want to cancel. Once you get the side of the house that retains customers, try your speech again, tell them people are getting the NFL ticket comped left and right, even without asking. Don't you love the phony click, click, click, like the stupid mechanical voice thing is actually typing. Some moron came up with that.