Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sample Kangaroo...Gone Again!

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I am a sample slab collector. A little while back on eBay, I saw a pretty rare sample. It was from the ANA Anaheim show (I was there, but I missed the opportunity) and had a silver kangaroo encased. It was also #1 of 100! I bid strongly on it, but I got outbid in the last 3 seconds. I was really upset. Then, it got resold in the 1 1/2 hours I wasn't on eBay! That got me really upset again. Anyways, if anyone has a sample slab kangaroo they are willing to sell or trade for, I would be super appreciative!
Kellen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Australia-Silver-Kangaroo-PCGS-Gem-BU-Sample-ANA-Glendale-Verdugo-1-100-/332090671668?hash=item4d52258234:g:WiAAAOSwopRYeDUJ
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCGS-Sample-From-A-N-A-Show-2016-Australia-Kangaroo-1-1-oz-Pure-Silver-1-100-/201802465825?hash=item2efc5d4221:g:xHgAAOSwMtxXsOLM

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Tagged:

Comments

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! That's the same one! I am now really angry I did not get it!

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 2:37PM

Are they are all labeled 1 of 100? BruceS & kittlecoins auctions where going on at the same time. Both 1 of 100

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I believe all of them are 1 of 100. They did not individually number the coins.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It reminds me of my auctions. I list for 99c and no reserve and a flipper wins and lists it at a fixed price.

But wow - if every one is 1 of 100, that's kind of deceptive.
    I guess part of the sample is showing how the coins could be labeled.

But that's good news for the OP. Just keep an eye out (save the eBay search) and another one will come along.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 3:17PM

I had these made for our coin club last year. We made 100 and did not think labelling them all 1 of 100 would be deceptive at all. We could not give each an individual number. These were sold at the Anaheim ANA for $50 each. We also had two gold Kangaroo coins slabbed, one for each club and those were both labelled 1 of 2.

Edited to add that the clubs still have a few of these left, but can't sell them for less than the $50 issue price.

@illini420 said:
    I had these made for our coin club last year. We made 100 and did not think labelling them all 1 of 100 would be deceptive at all. We could not give each an individual number. These were sold at the Anaheim ANA for $50 each. We also had two gold Kangaroo coins slabbed, one for each club and those were both labelled 1 of 2.

Edited to add that the clubs still have a few of these left, but can't sell them for less than the $50 issue price.

Where would I be able to buy them from the club?

@KellenCoin said:

@illini420 said:

Where would I be able to buy them from the club?

I'm the president of the Glendale Coin Club (GCC) and the vice president of the Verdugo Hills Coin Club (VHCC), so I could help out with that! :smile:

Just send a PM and I'll help.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

I was really hoping to win the gold in the raffle at the Hilton meeting or at least a silver Mike. Grrr. I did get a consolation of sorts though as I was sitting next to Walt Ostromecki, past ANA President, and he just opened his bag as we were talking and gave me this. He said he had 15 made up if I remember right to give out to friends and this was the last one. Not a gold but it's pretty cool and unique. Has anyone seen one in the market?

The more you VAM..

@CascadeChris said:

@illini420 said:

I was really hoping to win the gold in the raffle at the Hilton meeting or at least a silver Mike. Grrr. I did get a consolation of sorts though as I was sitting next to Walt Ostromecki, past ANA President, and he just opened his bag as we were talking and gave me this. He said he had 15 made up if I remember right to give out to friends and this was the last one. Not a gold but it's pretty cool and unique. Has anyone seen one in the market?

Mr. Ostromecki gave me one of those as well! I believe he made 60.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... talk about immediate help showing up on the forum.... Amazing... Cheers, RickO

@KellenCoin said:

@CascadeChris said:

@illini420 said:

Those are really neat. I'm guessing it was closer to 50-60 of those as well that were made as I know he was handing them out to several volunteers at the ANA show.

Walt also made a similar slab that has a 2016 Kennedy Half Dollar in it and those were almost exclusively given to members of the Anaheim ANA Host Committee, about 12-15 of those were made. I don't have a pic handy of mine, but they're pretty neat and also signed by Walt on the reverse.

:+1:

@illini420 said:

@KellenCoin said:

@CascadeChris said:

@illini420 said:

Those are really neat. I'm guessing it was closer to 50-60 of those as well that were made as I know he was handing them out to several volunteers at the ANA show.

Walt also made a similar slab that has a 2016 Kennedy Half Dollar in it and those were almost exclusively given to members of the Anaheim ANA Host Committee, about 12-15 of those were made. I don't have a pic handy of mine, but they're pretty neat and also signed by Walt on the reverse.

:+1:

Cool! I'll have to try and get one!

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    I had these made for our coin club last year. We made 100 and did not think labelling them all 1 of 100 would be deceptive at all. We could not give each an individual number.

I never thought about it before, but I can see where "1 of 100" is different than "#1 of 100".

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@illini420 said:
    I had these made for our coin club last year. We made 100 and did not think labelling them all 1 of 100 would be deceptive at all. We could not give each an individual number.

I never thought about it before, but I can see where "1 of 100" is different than "#1 of 100".

Similar to some of the World Trade Center recovery pieces. PCGS labeled them the same way and sometimes you'll see them listed as being #1 of X but in reality all are 1 of X sets

The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file